The Student Room Group

math

on a walking holiday you travel from the start,S, 5km on a bearing of 60 degree to point P. then you change direction and walk for 5km on a bearing of 300 degree arriving at the finish F. what is your distance and bearing now from the start? draw a diagram as part of your answer
Original post by Wildflower14
on a walking holiday you travel from the start,S, 5km on a bearing of 60 degree to point P. then you change direction and walk for 5km on a bearing of 300 degree arriving at the finish F. what is your distance and bearing now from the start? draw a diagram as part of your answer

How far have you got? Draw the diagram first.
haven't got anywhere. im having trouble understanding the question
:frown::confused:
Original post by Muttley79
How far have you got? Draw the diagram first.

We can;t do questions for you - we just give hints. Do you understand what a bearing is?
Reply 4

I can do the question for you, but I'd prefer not to, as said above.

If you can't answer this question, look in a textbook or google it, but don't try to solve the problem yet.

If you are familiar with bearings, then draw the points S, P & F like you would draw a triangle, with the distance between S & P being 5km and P & F being 5 km. You can then use the angles of the bearings to find angles in the triangle, and then that enables you to find both the bearing and length of SF, using rules you should already know.

Clue: You should end up with an special kind of triangle.

P.s by the way when writing the bearing 60 degrees it should be written in the form 060, form for bearings.

Hope this helped. I'm guessing your a GCSE student, may I ask what level you are aiming for?
Thank you!
Yes I am an IGCSE student. I actually converted from an Indian syllabus to IGCSE. I wanna do something in the health science field

Original post by Zoqua
I can do the question for you, but I'd prefer not to, as said above.

If you can't answer this question, look in a textbook or google it, but don't try to solve the problem yet.

If you are familiar with bearings, then draw the points S, P & F like you would draw a triangle, with the distance between S & P being 5km and P & F being 5 km. You can then use the angles of the bearings to find angles in the triangle, and then that enables you to find both the bearing and length of SF, using rules you should already know.

Clue: You should end up with an special kind of triangle.

P.s by the way when writing the bearing 60 degrees it should be written in the form 060, form for bearings.

Hope this helped. I'm guessing your a GCSE student, may I ask what level you are aiming for?

Quick Reply

Latest