The Student Room Group

What are the benefits of joining the Conservative party?

I’ve recently been contemplating joining the Tory party and I just wondered what I might expect from a membership, apart from being able to attend the annual party conference?

I feel I need to do more to engage with local community and wonder if belonging to the local party will give me better access to community events. Our local MP is a Tory. My values tend to align more with the Tories, hence me thinking about joining.

I know it’s only £25 to join, but I still think it’s an important decision to make.

Scroll to see replies

What to expect:
Watered down Tommy Robinson’s🤔
Why on Earth would you do that?
Some of my friends have been Conservative Party members since they were at school.
New members get a membership card, invites to local Conservative association events as well as annual party conference, opportunities to join Conservative campaign and networking groups.
Original post by londonmyst
Some of my friends have been Conservative Party members since they were at school.
New members get a membership card, invites to local Conservative association events as well as annual party conference, opportunities to join Conservative campaign and networking groups.

That sounds thrilling!
The best political party in the U.K!!! A
Why would you wish to be in any way associated with a group of people who probably have chosen as their leader a man who refers to some Muslims as 'letterboxes' , whose actions have led to someone languishing in an Iranian jail for longer, who chooses to side with another country's leader instead of one of our diplomats, and who serially cheated on both his wives?
Reply 7
😂 Nice one!
Old people you say, maybe that explains Wayne Rooney's membership ( allegedly)
Reply 9
Original post by londonmyst

I like that.
Reply 10
Original post by barnetlad
Why would you wish to be in any way associated with a group of people who probably have chosen as their leader a man who refers to some Muslims as 'letterboxes' , whose actions have led to someone languishing in an Iranian jail for longer, who chooses to side with another country's leader instead of one of our diplomats, and who serially cheated on both his wives?

The other side is full of antisemites and hypocrites.
Are you exceptionally mediocre?
Do you have a proven track record of failure?

Then join The Conservative Party. We believe in rewarding failure.

This message was brought to you by Chris Grayling.
Original post by Fruli
The other side is full of antisemites and hypocrites.

There are more than two political parties in this country. Of the 650 MPs, 91 do not belong to Conservative or Labour.
Reply 13
I've also been considering actually joining, it's £5 for students, is there anything you don't get with getting a student membership?
Reply 14
Original post by The Mogg
I've also been considering actually joining, it's £5 for students, is there anything you don't get with getting a student membership?

I'm not a student anymore unfortunately. Otherwise, I'd definitely be joining for £5 without any questions.
Reply 15
Original post by barnetlad
There are more than two political parties in this country. Of the 650 MPs, 91 do not belong to Conservative or Labour.

Lib Dem and Green values are not for me.
Original post by Fruli
I’ve recently been contemplating joining the Tory party and I just wondered what I might expect from a membership, apart from being able to attend the annual party conference?

I feel I need to do more to engage with local community and wonder if belonging to the local party will give me better access to community events. Our local MP is a Tory. My values tend to align more with the Tories, hence me thinking about joining.

I know it’s only £25 to join, but I still think it’s an important decision to make.

Original post by The Mogg

The student membership is actually until 23 I think.

Essentially though you get access to any event or conference around the country (you can only vote for stuff in your local association) of which there are a lot. If your under 30 you also get access to any COnservative Future event which are more akin to your standard nights out normally. You can also be a local election candidate easily.
Original post by xxlaila03xx
Why on Earth would you do that?

I imagine because they support the Conservatives to some degree.
Original post by Fruli

“If You Are Not a Liberal as a youth. You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative as an adult, You Have No Brain”
No **** Sherlock
Original post by Notoriety
I imagine because they support the Conservatives to some degree.

Quick Reply

Latest