The Student Room Group

The Ultimate Exam Reflection Thread!

the exam reflection thread!!

whether you've done gcses, a levels or other internal or external exams, results can often tell you a lot about what went wrong and what you did right during exam period. it could be something as small as taking more breaks or changing your revision methods. what have you learnt from your exams and what are you planning to do next time? even the state you felt after completing exams could tell you something that you could be doing next year!!
share what you learnt here:h:

use this loose form format if you wish:
what i will be doing next year:
what i've learnt not to do next year:
one useful thing i've learnt this year:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
did politics edexcel 1st year,

bro idk man, I worked hard but it was all a blur but idk I hope I did ahhh
Original post by TBreazy
did politics edexcel 1st year,

bro idk man, I worked hard but it was all a blur but idk I hope I did ahhh

good luck!! when do you get your results and what are you hoping for?
what i will be doing next year: lots more essay practice for english lit, exam question practice for psychology, math papers also.
what i've learnt not to do next year: to write an essay with no prior planning as my point will get lost:sadnod:
one useful thing i've learnt this year: exam practice is super useful for psychology, and to get a good night's sleep before exams.
what i will be doing next year: i'm unsure if i'm going to uni or taking a gap year (might even be resitting my a levels lol please pray for me)
what i've learnt not to do next year: ignore old spec papers
one useful thing i've learnt this year: to believe in the power of hard work i guess
Original post by Skeletonclique21
what i will be doing next year: i'm unsure if i'm going to uni or taking a gap year (might even be resitting my a levels lol please pray for me)
what i've learnt not to do next year: ignore old spec papers
one useful thing i've learnt this year: to believe in the power of hard work i guess

good luck, i hope you get the results you want!! what a levels did you do and what are you hoping to do at uni?:h:
1) Hopefully Law at Uni
2) not put off revision until last minute. Although I said this after GCSES but still fell back into old habits :/
3) I finally figured the best revision techniques suited for me. Instead of doing hours on hours with nothing going in. Quality>quantity.
Original post by Wooord
1) Hopefully Law at Uni
2) not put off revision until last minute. Although I said this after GCSES but still fell back into old habits :/
3) I finally figured the best revision techniques suited for me. Instead of doing hours on hours with nothing going in. Quality>quantity.

good luck!! old habits can be hard to let go of, it's understandable:yes:
it's very important to give yourself breaks and i'm glad you've learnt that:yep:
what a levels did you do if you don't mind me asking?:h:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
good luck!! old habits can be hard to let go of, it's understandable:yes:
it's very important to give yourself breaks and i'm glad you've learnt that:yep:
what a levels did you do if you don't mind me asking?:h:

Yep that’s true. My a-levels hardly relate to Law tbh haha. I did Biology, English Literature and Philosophy and Ethics:h:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9

1) Bio, Chem and Maths a levels
2) idek tbh
3) do loaaaads of practic qs
Original post by Wooord
Yep that’s true. My a-levels hardly relate to Law tbh haha. I did Biology, English Literature and Philosophy and Ethics:h:

i think they relate pretty well, especially english and philosophy:yep: let me know how results goes:h:
Original post by syrup!
1) Bio, Chem and Maths a levels
2) idek tbh
3) do loaaaads of practic qs

practice qs are the way to go:yep:
Reply 11
the exam reflection thread!!

whether you've done gcses, a levels or other internal or external exams, results can often tell you a lot about what went wrong and what you did right during exam period. it could be something as small as taking more breaks or changing your revision methods. what have you learnt from your exams and what are you planning to do next time? even the state you felt after completing exams could tell you something that you could be doing next year!!
share what you learnt here:h:

Been avoiding this until now... 4 weeks to go until A-Level results day. Eeeek!!! :eek::eek::eek:

What I will be doing next year: Either studying BA Sociology and International Relations at Leeds (Firm) or BA Social and Political Sciences at York (via Clearing).
What I've learnt not to do next year: Year 13 was very difficult to begin with - need to treat it the academic year as a sprint and not a marathon. Need to take more breaks, revise more effectively and defo be more active lol. :tongue:
One useful thing I've learnt this year: I think the most important thing I've learnt this academic year is to be resilent and keep striving for success even when things were really rocky and difficult to begin with.
Reply 12
what maths board dy do??
what i will be doing next year: lots more essay practice for english lit, exam question practice for psychology, math papers also.
what i've learnt not to do next year: to write an essay with no prior planning as my point will get lost:sadnod:
one useful thing i've learnt this year: exam practice is super useful for psychology, and to get a good night's sleep before exams.
Reply 13

What I will be doing next year: Review topics frequently for Computer Science, do timed-essays and notes that I'll definitely use for English Lit and keeping way ahead of deadlines for graphics.
What I've learnt not to do next year: Leave important things to the last minute and to not just re-read the textbook thinking you understand and remember the topics.
One useful thing I've learnt this year: Revision takes time and the earlier you start, the less stress you'll have for the real thing!
What I will be doing next year: Maths at uni :afraid:
What I've learnt not to do next year: Do absolutely every question my teacher sets (when it's loads, obviously if it's reasonable then do it)
One useful thing I've learnt this year: I can cram any subject except maths...hopefully this leads to less of it next year :lol: Also not study related, but I neeeed to be involved with some kind of extra curricular stuff or I go loopy :laugh:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Been avoiding this until now... 4 weeks to go until A-Level results day. Eeeek!!! :eek::eek::eek:

What I will be doing next year: Either studying BA Sociology and International Relations at Leeds (Firm) or BA Social and Political Sciences at York (via Clearing).
What I've learnt not to do next year: Year 13 was very difficult to begin with - need to treat it the academic year as a sprint and not a marathon. Need to take more breaks, revise more effectively and defo be more active lol. :tongue:
One useful thing I've learnt this year: I think the most important thing I've learnt this academic year is to be resilent and keep striving for success even when things were really rocky and difficult to begin with.

good luck with results! and resilience is important but really hard to maintain:yep:
Original post by syrup!
what maths board dy do??

aqa, you?
Original post by Lemur14
What I will be doing next year: Maths at uni :afraid:
What I've learnt not to do next year: Do absolutely every question my teacher sets (when it's loads, obviously if it's reasonable then do it)
One useful thing I've learnt this year: I can cram any subject except maths...hopefully this leads to less of it next year :lol: Also not study related, but I neeeed to be involved with some kind of extra curricular stuff or I go loopy :laugh:

some teachers set the most unreasonable amount of hw sometimes:lol:
what extra curricular do you think you'll end up doing while at uni?:h:
Original post by MapleFu
What I will be doing next year: Review topics frequently for Computer Science, do timed-essays and notes that I'll definitely use for English Lit and keeping way ahead of deadlines for graphics.
What I've learnt not to do next year: Leave important things to the last minute and to not just re-read the textbook thinking you understand and remember the topics.
One useful thing I've learnt this year: Revision takes time and the earlier you start, the less stress you'll have for the real thing!

gonna need to start doing more timed essays in english:cry:
gl w next year :smile:
some teachers set the most unreasonable amount of hw sometimes:lol:
what extra curricular do you think you'll end up doing while at uni?:h:

It was the point I was doing 3x the amount of work for single maths as for further that I realised I shouldn't be doing all the work (my single class were all taking further so it wasn't even like some people needed it to scrape a D or anything!)
Hopefully some drama, possibly some dance, not too sure atm, but I need something to keep me sane :lol: Had to give up my drama class at Christmas so having nothing for 6 month hasn't done me too much good...
Reply 17
I would like to preface this with:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Finished A-levels, so one place or another I'll be doing physics. I just wish I hadn't left any gaps in ability before going into some of my exams - especially FM1 and stats & mechanics. I wonder how avoidable that'll be at uni - guessing it won't be.

Oh and people doing Edexcel FS1 there's a wrong formula in the textbook. It should be P(X=n)=GX(n)(t)n!P(X=n) = \dfrac{G^{(n)} _X (t)}{n!}. So I've learnt not to trust Edexcel's textbooks :facepalm:
Reply 18
app aqa is bi'tch to do
i do edexcel
aqa, you?
What I will be doing next year: Doing A-levels :eek: hopefully in maths, fm, geography and chemistry :thumbsup:
What I've learnt not to do next year: Don't just read notes, mix up your revision methods, even if answering questions are boring :laugh:
One useful thing I've learnt this year: Sleep is good :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending