Can't afford a house, depressed. Watch

Jane2w
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Houses cost £500,000 where I live.
If I want a house for £100,000, I have to move to a bad area with crime and drugs, away from my job.
It never used to be like this. Houses didn't used to be this expensive.
How is it possible for young people to own a house now?
Even if you have rich parents, I doubt they will give you £500,000 to buy a house - unless they are super rich.
Are young people supposed to rent now? Is this what the capitalist Tory government wants?
The whole system is broken and makes me feel worthless and depressed.
My parents bought their house for 1/10 cost of what it is worth now, and they lecture to me like get a better job etc. It is not easy. Even with a good job, owning even a decent house is out of reach for young people.
Anyone else feel like this too?
Last edited by Jane2w; 2 months ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jane2w)
...If I want a house for £100,000, I have to move to a bad area with crime and drugs, away from my job...
Not necessarily.

I live somewhere where houses cost around this amount, and work here too.
SteveyStack
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Exactly and your first home shouldn’t be in a great area it’s about getting on the ladder. If you are in London then it’s almost impossible but you could always move out.
Jane2w
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Not necessarily.

I live somewhere where houses cost around this amount, and work here too.
It's not like that here.
I live close to London.
The cheaper places are socially and economically deprived, which is why they are so cheap.
Even modest terrace houses cost £400,000.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It's not like that here.
I live close to London.
The cheaper places are socially and economically deprived, which is why they are so cheap.
Even modest terrace houses cost £400,000.
So basically vast swathes of the North of England is out (for you) then?

You have made a conscious choice to stay in London / South East. No one has forced you to.
Jane2w
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
So basically vast swathes of the North of England is out (for you) then?

You have made a conscious choice to stay in London / South East. No one has forced you to.
I was born here. I work here. My life is here.
I can't move up North.
So I'm forced to rent here, scraping together an impossible deposit.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I can't move up North.
People move for all sorts of reasons.

You are not the first one to be priced out of the housing market, and won't be the last.

What do you want to government to do? Force homeowners to sell their properties for 50% off?

It's supply and demand - it's a free market.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Don't get depressed, focus on all the positive things in your life.
I'm working three jobs, the majority of my income goes on renting in London and I've got almost 20k in credit card debt.
Last edited by londonmyst; 2 months ago
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Don't get depressed, focus on all the positive things in your life.
I'm working three jobs, the majority of my income goes on renting in London and I've got almost 20k in credit card debt.
what now?
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
what now?
Yes.
My nine credit cards keep me company.
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You're not depressed, you're just upset. Which is a personal feeling that you need to deal with. Also, seeing as your happiness is based on materialistic wealth, no one here can help you.
Resonance234
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
                                
You know what OP while on the one hand it seems to be a bad thing and vain and materialistic, you have a right to be scared not to be able to afford a house in a good place to live.

This happened to my father and he is still stuck in what can be described as best, a dangerous ****hole.

If you cant afford a house in a nice area, and have to live in a filthy crime ridden one with not so nice people (sorry it is what it is) your old age is not going to be easy. I really wish we were able to buy a house in a better place but the real estate markets are the most overinflated markets where I come from. It honestly scares me the prospect of some people going into old age without having a house, that said, you cant afford a house and I cant even afford a car..so Im even worse off than you. And BTW I am a non UK national, theres been 2 murders (one beheading) in the area where my father lives and I studied my A levels there during that time..It is surreal. I had to jump into the local garbage there once because a bus driver almost ran me over (the road over there is always congested). Seriously..it can always be worse...
Last edited by Resonance234; 1 month ago
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
owning is overrated, most people just rent nowadays
theres advantages and disadvantages to both.
honestly i felt the same way at first but now i see the silver lining
the only good thing about owning your own house is that it will belong to you but honestly people own properties because they see it as investments and its only really an investment if you rent it out to other people. if you're hoping to buy it for a certain price and then sell it for twice the amount in the future, well honestly even that is becoming a rarity nowadays. thats why even rich people say its better, easier and even cheaper to just rent nowadays. thats why most people are doing it. best thing about renting is that you can up and move away as easily as you want if you suddenly decide you want a different house or that you need to move elsewhere, no complications involved.
now that i am finally making good money (not bragging) even i am just renting and will continue to do so for the rest of my life.
even though my original obsession with making all this money was because i too wanted to buy a house in london some day. now i don't
velvethopes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If I want a house for £100,000, I have to move to a bad area with crime and drugs
I live close to London.
Everywhere across the country has crime and drugs. And, considering London has some of the highest crime rates, surely moving further away would be "safer"?
Hirsty97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SteveyStack)
Exactly and your first home shouldn’t be in a great area it’s about getting on the ladder. If you are in London then it’s almost impossible but you could always move out.
No benefit to living in a ****hole area. Have fun getting robbed by chavs and stinking of weed and graffiti everywhere
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can't move up North.
I was born in the south and moved up north, you can do it you just dont want to
Hardly anyone in london can afford house prices, it's a conscious decision they make to get the wages that a london job provides. You cant have both.

Moved to advice on everyday issues
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I live up north. My next door neighbour works in London
She has a decent job but can’t and doesn’t want to spend all her wages on a house She travels down on the train on a Monday and comes home on a Friday, staying week nights with friends or in a premier inn.
It allows her to have the standard of living she wants.
Anything is possible, you need to find a way.
You could buy a house on my small estate, 3 bed semi, nice garden for around £160k
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
I've got almost 20k in credit card debt.
Yas, Team Credit Card Debt! I'm on about 15k
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Do you even have a job or a degree? I get so fed up of people crying over this like it is not the end of the world and to me says a lot about your outlook on life and you won't get a job if you expect the government to help because guess what? This world is not advanced and to get what you want in life you have to be able to willing to work for it on your own. The system is not broken you just have to be willing to put the effort in or you won't get one.
If I want a house for £100,000, I have to move to a bad area with crime and drugs, away from my job.
Even if you have rich parents, I doubt they will give you £500,000 to buy a house - unless they are super rich.
Are young people supposed to rent now? Is this what the capitalist Tory government wants?
My parents bought their house for 1/10 cost of what it is worth now, and they lecture to me like get a better job etc. It is not easy. Even with a good job, owning even a decent house is out of reach for young people.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you asked your parents about their first house/flat?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (35)
7.25%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (285)
59.01%
No (163)
33.75%

Watched Threads