The Student Room Group

Who is the greatest UK politican never to be PM?

I would say either Tom Watson or Matt Hancock

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FemaleinDress

Nigel Farage, he's never even been an MP but his one goal has been ( to a certain extent ) achieved, whether you like him or not you have to admit that's pretty impressive.
Other than him I would say that it would be John Smith who, had he not sadly passed away, would've made a much better PM than that arseh0le Blair.

You really think Tom Watson is greater than Wilkes or Fox or Canning or Forster or Randolph Churchill or Edward Grey or Haldane or Bevan or Morrison or Butler or Whitelaw?
It'd have to be the great man who's in my avatar! Tony Benn.
Corbyn
Denis Healey for Labour, probably Rab Butler or Michael Portillo for the Tories.
Original post by nulli tertius
You really think Tom Watson is greater than Wilkes or Fox or Canning or Forster or Randolph Churchill or Edward Grey or Haldane or Bevan or Morrison or Butler or Whitelaw?

I'd rather have Watson than Morrison, who was an inveterate serpent. Randolph Churchill was as foolish and ineffectual as his namesake.

I would suggest Stafford Cripps, Hugh Gaitskell and Andy Burnham.
Reply 7
Original post by Burridge

Absolutely, a prince among men..
Original post by Onde

Otherwise, the answer is probably John Stuart Mill.

Though after half a pint of shandy he was particularly ill.
Enoch Powell. If you ignore the river comments.
Enoch Powell by far, he was one of the greatest political minds and was not afraid to do what was right over what would be popular (even though he was rather popular)
Original post by Notoriety
Enoch Powell. If you ignore the river comments.

Why ignore his comments? He was right. I honestly suggest you listen to the full speech instead of the very cleverly crafted cut down version.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Why ignore his comments? He was right. I honestly suggest you listen to the full speech instead of the very cleverly crafted cut down version.

I added the qualification at the end because the mods can be trigger happy.

I think his intellect (really of the highest order) and oratorical skills must mark him as having one of the greatest potentials in politics.
Of the recent crop; Ken Clarke is the most common answer to this question.
Original post by Zarek
Absolutely, a prince among men..

Original post by Burridge

Absolutely undoubtedly Tony Benn, my polical hero.

That's ridiculous, they are there too keep the peace not police opinion

My options:

1. Jacob Rees Mogg
2. Harriet Harman
3. Chuka Umunna
4. David Miliband
5. Michael Gove
Reply 17
Lord Buckethead

I think his intellect (really of the highest order) and oratorical skills must mark him as having one of the greatest potentials in politics.

Not only that but his morals were also absolutely close to the peak of perfection, I watched a video of him speaking when he was a far older man and clearly was suffering from the ills of old age and It was the closest I have come to shedding a tear in a very long time, just knowing such a man was denied greatness. It is also scary to think that all of his absolute worst predictions have been dwarfed by what has actually happened
Not Tommeh Robinson

Quick Reply

Latest