The Student Room Group

Best way into Medicine for me

I am 22 and I have a 1st Bachelor's degree and a Distinction Master's degree both in an unrelated subject to Medicine. I didn't study Chemistry or Biology in A-levels. I had mediocre grades ABBB. I am open to studying abroad somewhere in Europe. What would be the best way for me to get into Medicine?
Perhaps doing medicine with a foundation year? The foundation year is 6 years rather than 5. I may be wrong if this is unsuitable for you, I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!
I’ll see if I can find a link about the foundation year 👍🏻
Original post by magnificentgent
I am 22 and I have a 1st Bachelor's degree and a Distinction Master's degree both in an unrelated subject to Medicine. I didn't study Chemistry or Biology in A-levels. I had mediocre grades ABBB. I am open to studying abroad somewhere in Europe. What would be the best way for me to get into Medicine?

What's your undergrad degree?
Reply 4
Original post by magnificentgent

I think you qualify for direct entry into several GEM proprammes with the qualifications you have (Warwick, Swansea, SGUL, Newcastle, Nottingham):
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

This would be your easiest and cheapest route of entry but requires good scores in UCAT +/- GAMSAT

You may also qualify for a couple for the standard entry medicine courses (Keele and Sunderland if you do well in GAMSAT), but this would mean you had to fund your own tuition fees and would not be eligible for a student loan for this.

Otherwise you need Chemistry and/or Biology at A level as detailed on the document linked which would open up more choices (unless you already have life science content in your degree). Or you could look into an Access for Medicine course, but be careful as not all of these are accepted by most med schools, so do check out opportunities for progression.

Medicine in Europe has language issues (whilst you may be taught in English, the patients in your clinical years will all speak the local language) and BREXIT means there is no guarantee in terms of return to the UK (should this be what you want to do)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Hazzabear
Perhaps doing medicine with a foundation year? The foundation year is 6 years rather than 5. I may be wrong if this is unsuitable for you, I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!
I’ll see if I can find a link about the foundation year 👍🏻

The problem with Medicine with a Gateway (Foundation) year is that they are all for applicants with widening access flags - great if you have them, rules them out if you don't
Medicine with a Preliminary Year is open to all. This is for people who studied the wrong A levels for medicine (ie not science) but still requires AAA in them
Original post by Democracy
What's your undergrad degree?

Computer Science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending