The Student Room Group

Failing finals and resits

So... i failed my medschool finals ( by 1.5 % )and now i am to be appearing for resits in about 2 weeks . Ive had the entire summer to study but my heart wasnt in it because I actually studied hard for finals but still didnt manage to pass and i was feeling to burnt out and unable to concentrate . Ive also had a very rocky first year and a lot of adjustment issues . My prep for resits is pretty mediocre and its in two weeks , i dont even know if medschool is for me anymore . Just need any sort of advice that would help w my situation :frown:((
Med school can be very stressful and its at that time that the 'am I good enough/do i want to do this' voices creep in. Now is not the time to be making that decision - just focus on passing for now, and revisit later if needs be.

Are you retaking everything you sat previously, or only part? Is this OSCE, writtens, or both?

You didn't fail by much. You've got some feedback to work off of, presumably. You now know what to expect, which can be a powerful asset. There is also always an element of luck with these things, especially OSCEs. You have every chance to do well here.

Just need to revise smart, and revise hard. Its only two weeks - you can do it.
I passed OSCEs and short answer paper , i have to resit single best answer . Even the topics that i studied thoroughly , i still got them wrong . Thats why im kinda doubting myself . I have the worst luck so thats of no help .
Anyway thanks for the advice , really hope i pass this time around
Original post by nexttime
Med school can be very stressful and its at that time that the 'am I good enough/do i want to do this' voices creep in. Now is not the time to be making that decision - just focus on passing for now, and revisit later if needs be.

Are you retaking everything you sat previously, or only part? Is this OSCE, writtens, or both?

You didn't fail by much. You've got some feedback to work off of, presumably. You now know what to expect, which can be a powerful asset. There is also always an element of luck with these things, especially OSCEs. You have every chance to do well here.

Just need to revise smart, and revise hard. Its only two weeks - you can do it.
Reply 3
Finals or first year exams?
first year resit exam
Original post by MEDICO368
So... i failed my medschool finals ( by 1.5 % )and now i am to be appearing for resits in about 2 weeks . Ive had the entire summer to study but my heart wasnt in it because I actually studied hard for finals but still didnt manage to pass and i was feeling to burnt out and unable to concentrate . Ive also had a very rocky first year and a lot of adjustment issues . My prep for resits is pretty mediocre and its in two weeks , i dont even know if medschool is for me anymore . Just need any sort of advice that would help w my situation :frown:((

I just want you to know that there are many i know who have been in your exact situation. They worked hard and came very close, and all of them got through their resit exams. These were very capable and intelligent, and at the time, many also mentioned feeling totally burnt out and mentally exhausted. This can be a stressful period, and i know how disappointing it can be to come so close.

You were selected based on your ability to get through the degree. You outcompeted thousands of others, and on paper, you have everything you need to get through the exam. Many of us study hard, but it might take time as we develop in the degree for us to study smart.

If there was to be one area i would not mind to resit, it would have to be the SBAs. The good news? It might not necessarily be your understanding, but perhaps your exam technique in being able to differentiate between two good answers, one of them being the better one. The better news? There are free resources you can use to get past that.

Passmedicine.com is famous, it has a free trial especially for those in year 1-3, and it can help you with pre-clinical medicine with thousands of SBAs. If you did 200 questions a day, in two weeks you would get through around 3000, on top of your revisions and study. That is a mammoth amount to go through, and you might find SBAs become your strongest exam.

You need to pick yourself up and don't go down without a fight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending