The Student Room Group

Cardiff vs Leicester Medical School

I had 2 medicine offers come through recently as I was on their waiting lists so I need to choose one. The issue I am having is choosing which one.

One is a much more vibrant city, 3 hours from home, and you cannot intercalate until 4th year of study.

The other city is a bit boring and drab, 1.5 hours from home, and I can intercalate in my 3rd year.

The reason intercalation is important to me is because I always like to have a backup plan. If I hate the course or am struggling I will be able to intercalate and leave in the normal 3 year degree period. I also don't mind being far from home in the early years, you get long holidays. However when the holidays are shorter (eg. no Easter holiday at all in clinical years) it is quite a while for me to be away from home and a struggle to get back.

I am really struggling to make this decision and would appreciate any advice with this.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I had 2 medicine offers come through recently as I was on their waiting lists so I need to choose one. The issue I am having is choosing which one.

One is a much more vibrant city, 3 hours from home, and you cannot intercalate until 4th year of study.

The other city is a bit boring and drab, 1.5 hours from home, and I can intercalate in my 3rd year.

The reason intercalation is important to me is because I always like to have a backup plan. If I hate the course or am struggling I will be able to intercalate and leave in the normal 3 year degree period. I also don't mind being far from home in the early years, you get long holidays. However when the holidays are shorter (eg. no Easter holiday at all in clinical years) it is quite a while for me to be away from home and a struggle to get back.

I am really struggling to make this decision and would appreciate any advice with this.

You're anonymous anyway so why not tell us the unis involved? It might make it easier for people to advise you
(edited 4 years ago)
hmm issa tricky one
You will intercalate anyway, by the sounds of it, no matter which med school you go to. Which course do you prefer? That is the most important question.

PS. you are very lucky to get two medicine offers from the waiting list. Rejoice!

Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
You're anonymous anyway so why not tell us the unis involved? It might make it easier for people to advise you

Cardiff and Leicester
Cardiff and Leicester

I would much rather live in Cardiff for a few years than Leicester...... maybe you could ask about the two medical schools in the medical schools forum if you haven't already?
Well that's the sort of thing that OP needs to know so it's good that now we know the names of the unis in question, people can give their opinions on them. And you are a great person to comment since you have actually studied at the medical school in Leicester
PRSOM

at Cardiff you can intercalate in year 3 and 4.

Cardiff is super vibrant, fun and there is so much to do (most within walking distance).

I wouldn't see intercalating as an exit qualification, it is actively discouraged to view it as one..
Reply 9
like after year 3 and year 4 of medicine?
Original post by Mutmit287
at Cardiff you can intercalate in year 3 and 4.

Cardiff is super vibrant, fun and there is so much to do (most within walking distance).

I wouldn't see intercalating as an exit qualification, it is actively discouraged to view it as one..
Reply 10
you studied at Leicester? Nice!

Did you feel safe in Leicester and did you commute from your family home?

The other day the news on my TV was suddenly set to Leicester's local area and I was hearing about some bad things going on in Leicester which was a bit off putting.

Did you have an option of any other medical schools?
Reply 11
What was your opinion on the social life/ nightlife in the city in years 1 and 2 please?
Reply 12
i read on another thread that someone said Leicester was extremely boring. I don't see how it could be THAT boring as it is a city after all. They also said people don't like leaving the campus because it's a bit of a trek into the city and quite a drab city, did you find this? It's difficult because Cardiff is much further away but apparently it's a much nicer city, but I don't know how much time I would spend out in the city anyway what with me being a poor and busy student.

Also where did you personally do your placements in Clinical years?

Many thanks

R
i got offers for both cardiff and leicester and they were both my top choices !!! i chose leicester over cardiff due to it being closer to home but honestly i love it so so much! really hoping i get the grades on results day! but i had this thing of thinking “isn’t leicester such a dead city?” and i still do tbf but i think uni is what you make it and if you get the right group of friends there’s never ending things to do!! besides the med school in leicester is absolutely amazing and i loved the amount of student support they give (which is something i saw in no other uni! they understand the struggle we’ve been through with the entirety of the application and truly commend us!) if you choose leicester and fingers crossed i get the grades might see you there !! good luck with your choice :smile:
Original post by robinjj
like after year 3 and year 4 of medicine?

yea you get a choice. you can either intercalate between year 3 and year 4, or between year 4 and year 5. it's totally up to you.
Reply 15
Completely agree. Good luck with results- I hope you get the grades! Are you feeling confident about results?

What accommodation have you applied for?

How far from home is Leicester for you?

Also my mum has been saying exactly the same thing to me about how it's the people you meet which make the experience. I enjoy staying in with my friends sometimes rather than going out all the time anyway. And yeah I agree about them being so friendly and supportive as well.

I met some such nice girls on my interview day (4th Jan anyone??) as well.
Original post by anikaxox555
i got offers for both cardiff and leicester and they were both my top choices !!! i chose leicester over cardiff due to it being closer to home but honestly i love it so so much! really hoping i get the grades on results day! but i had this thing of thinking “isn’t leicester such a dead city?” and i still do tbf but i think uni is what you make it and if you get the right group of friends there’s never ending things to do!! besides the med school in leicester is absolutely amazing and i loved the amount of student support they give (which is something i saw in no other uni! they understand the struggle we’ve been through with the entirety of the application and truly commend us!) if you choose leicester and fingers crossed i get the grades might see you there !! good luck with your choice :smile:
Reply 16
Did you always walk home as a big group? Even in year 2? That's pretty nice actually. I just don't want to be walking around Leicester alone :/ lol I'm sure it's not as bad as I think it is.

Did you go on all those placements?? I live sooo close to Bedford, so that would be pretty nice actually.

I have heard about how leicester have their own purpose-built accommodation in Northampton (I think) which is niceeee. What is good about it- just good standard?

Thank you so much!!
hey! good luck to you as well( assuming you’re getting results and haven’t already got them haha!) i’m not feeling awful but not great either it varies each day, edexcel maths will be the end of me : ((( i hinestly couldn’t tell you my accommodation omg it was so long ago i domt remember what i put down but it was in the student village place ! leicester’s only around 50 mins from me bc i’m in birmingham so not too bad at all! wbu? is leicester your first choice? and honestly i’m 4th/5th year going out won’t be as much as a big deal like yeah i love a night out but i bet there will ben loads to do and it’s what you make of it - defo what my mums been saying as well! :smile:
Original post by robinjj
Completely agree. Good luck with results- I hope you get the grades! Are you feeling confident about results?

What accommodation have you applied for?

How far from home is Leicester for you?

Also my mum has been saying exactly the same thing to me about how it's the people you meet which make the experience. I enjoy staying in with my friends sometimes rather than going out all the time anyway. And yeah I agree about them being so friendly and supportive as well.

I met some such nice girls on my interview day (4th Jan anyone??) as well.
Reply 18
Only received my offers recently so still deciding between leicester and cardiff. I think I'll go with leicester in the end though. Leicester is 1.5 hours for me whereas Cardiff is 3 because I live near London :smile:
Original post by anikaxox555
hey! good luck to you as well( assuming you’re getting results and haven’t already got them haha!) i’m not feeling awful but not great either it varies each day, edexcel maths will be the end of me : ((( i hinestly couldn’t tell you my accommodation omg it was so long ago i domt remember what i put down but it was in the student village place ! leicester’s only around 50 mins from me bc i’m in birmingham so not too bad at all! wbu? is leicester your first choice? and honestly i’m 4th/5th year going out won’t be as much as a big deal like yeah i love a night out but i bet there will ben loads to do and it’s what you make of it - defo what my mums been saying as well! :smile:
Hi I am so glad that you and others have managed to provide some amazing info about Leicester. I believe my son may also be working at Bedford and Northampton hospitals as part of his rotation

Now I have the £64,000.00 question: when you were at Bedford, did you meet a consultant anaesthetist called suet hong lua?

She was my best friend at school, and I would dearly love to get in touch with her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending