The Student Room Group

Thugs attack gay pride

The first ever gay pride in the Polish city of Bialystok was attacked by thugs throwing bottles, stones and fire crackers.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190720-polish-gay-pride-marchers-defy-stone-throwing-hooligans

The article refers to them as Conservative campaigners, soccer hooligans, and ultra nationalists, although I prefer reactionary knuckle dragging baboons.

It’s a common refrain from some on TSR that we don’t need gay prides, but this is precisely why we do need them. Maybe one day gay people around the world can be open about their sexuality without fearing some utter shite will lob a missile at them.

Scroll to see replies

agree - especially with strong historical and cultural discrimination against the LGBT community :nyan:
I mean, the contention is that we don't need Pride in the UK as it's a liberal country. I don't think anyone supposes we don't need it in Poland, Russia, Brazil or wherever else.
Appalling criminal thuggery.
bUt wHAt aBOUt strAIght pRide!?
Yes, we do need gay pride, precisely because of this kind of homophobia. And yes, homophobia still does happen in the UK.

Recently I went to gay pride and it was very moving. Many young people in quite large groups, it gave me hope that with every generation, we can be more open minded in future.

(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)
The first ever gay pride in the Polish city of Bialystok was attacked by thugs throwing bottles, stones and fire crackers.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190720-polish-gay-pride-marchers-defy-stone-throwing-hooligans

The article refers to them as Conservative campaigners, soccer hooligans, and ultra nationalists, although I prefer reactionary knuckle dragging baboons.

It’s a common refrain from some on TSR that we don’t need gay prides, but this is precisely why we do need them. Maybe one day gay people around the world can be open about their sexuality without fearing some utter shite will lob a missile at them.
Original post by Jebedee
If I thought the promotion of gays in Poland would lead to the LGBT fascism we see today in Western Europe and US aka ruination of women's sport and forceful bathroom legislations, id probably throw bottles at them too.

LGBT fascism.

Ah, Jebedee, you do such a wonderful caricature of the angry basement-dwelling neckbeard.
i had a person tell me once that gay pride was not needed anymore, and that it was accepted nowadays and nobody really cares; that we should stop dropping like hooligans and taking over cities and all that lmao

the next day, the attack on the two women on the bus occurred, and all I did was send them a screenshot and block them.

what do you mean there is no need for them?? pride is, sure, no longer about fighting for our rights, but it's about fighting for our history and all the pain and sorrow the people before us incurred. it's about being proud of yourself - not for other people to know that you're gay. pride is your own experience to reflect on everything and I despise people that say it's not needed anymore - how can you tell us not to be proud?? I hate to be the one that compares it to Remembrance parades and days. These are all reflecting on our nation's history and the sacrifices and the efforts of our brave soldiers and allies and losses. Yes, sure, for LGBT people it's not comparable to that scale, but it's still the same concept. I just find it a bit hypocritical at times.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
I mean, the contention is that we don't need Pride in the UK as it's a liberal country. I don't think anyone supposes we don't need it in Poland, Russia, Brazil or wherever else.

There is very much still discrimination in the UK. I think I read a poll that said only 60% of people have a positive view of gay people. There's also the trans community, who still face widespread hate crimes and have very high suicide and homelessness rates. There are many people who don't even recognise gender dysphoria as an actual illness. Anyway, pride isn't just a fight against inequality. It's a cultural celebration of being different. To say we don't need it is like saying we don't need Christmas.
Absolutely horrendous, and a prime example of why Pride is still needed.
True 100% :adore:
Original post by shadowdweller
This is exactly the sort of behaviour which demonstrates why Pride is still necessary.
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
LGBT fascism.

Ah, Jebedee, you do such a wonderful caricature of the angry basement-dwelling neckbeard.

"lgbt fascism" is one hell of a hot take but i do have to say, whether it was intentional or not, they make a good point by bringing up the recent issue with women's sports. there's very little fruitful discussion around it - to the extent that i haven't been able to even form an opinion on it - and the discussion that does happen involves opposite ends of the political spectrum having a "don't care what happens to you though" attitude towards the other.

regardless, really disappointing to hear about what's happened in poland, and i hope there is progress soon. much love
How awful. I hope the people parading all ended up safe and well.

If you are able, do consider donating to some Polish LGBT+ organisations:
http://lambdawarszawa.org/

ILGA-Europe also have a list of organisations on their website: https://www.ilga-europe.org/who-we-are/members
Original post by Jebedee
If I thought the promotion of gays in Poland would lead to the LGBT fascism we see today in Western Europe and US aka ruination of women's sport and forceful bathroom legislations, id probably throw bottles at them too.

Shut up, just....shut up
Horrible
Looking forward to pride at the weekend, protesters holding cards saying we all are going to burn in hell come every year but everyone is given a whistle and just creates an awful lot of noise to drown out their hate as we pass :nyan:
Ah yes, I do love to hear how myself, a gay woman, is taking over the world and somehow possesses magic powers over politicians? If I had that sort of power there’s a lot of things I’d be implementing and none of them are fascist
Original post by Jebedee

Not the first ever. The first was in 2002. The previous one was in 2018 in Lublin.
If journalists were fired when they don't check their facts, there would probably be none.

Original post by killua.

regardless, really disappointing to hear about what's happened in poland, and i hope there is progress soon. much love

I actually have a feeling it is much worse than it used to be.

Original post by Oxford Mum
Yes, we do need gay pride, precisely because of this kind of homophobia. And yes, homophobia still does happen in the UK.

Original post by shadowdweller

I'll play a little as a Devil's advocate here, and say that Imho it is exactly the opposite.
As much as I despise the far right, I actually talked to a lot of Polish far-right guys on the internet, some of who were clearly limited, and they were all saying they 'don't care what you do in your bed, but stop showing it up'. I understand, that these people feel endangered by the pride parades. Currently, the popular view in Poland is that while a certain culture might have some flaws, if it lasted for a long period of time, it means it's adapted to last, and LGBT is or might be a downfall factor. In these terms Islam is a 'better' culture, than the current European culture, because it's more vivid and likely to outlive Europe.

Besides, while I had colleagues who were gays, and would have nothing against if they have chosen to be my friends, really nice guys btw., I've never heard any of them ever saying or otherwise manifesting that they were gays, same as you don't meet a heterosexual man, casually dropping into conversation "Hey, I sleep with women", or a woman saying "Hey, I sleep with men".
It would be just weird, and it's an evolutionary adaptation that people naturally feel displeased when they experience something weird. It doesn't matter how long do you fight it, because it's an istinct that is older than entire humankind.
Unless you change the entire culture, but what for? To scare more people off, because being very sexually liberal is a feature characteristic of many historical cultures in their period of decline?
Not to mention that speaking loud about your sexual life is just in a bad taste. It's like pissing in the public- people will be displeased and dislike you for doing so, then imho, if you want the far right to get even more agressive against LGBT in Poland, then organise more pride parades. That's my opinion.

Original post by inoubliable
i had a person tell me once that gay pride was not needed anymore, and that it was accepted nowadays and nobody really cares; that we should stop dropping like hooligans and taking over cities and all that lmao

the next day, the attack on the two women on the bus occurred, and all I did was send them a screenshot and block them.

Speaking of anecdotes, you know what my grandmother said in relation to being gay in Poland?
She said, and I remember this one exactly:
"In the old days, it was normal that boys who were good friends, were going back hown, holding each other's hands. Now it's impossible, they would probably be beaten".
Another thing that it brings to my mind, is that in old Polish documentaries and memories, adult men who were in friendly terms were often hugging each other, and casually refering to each other using diminutive terms. I don't hear or see that anymore.

My uncle also had a teacher of whom everybody knew he was gay, it was back in the 60ies. Nobody cared about it.
(edited 4 years ago)
They obviously have nothing better to do in their sad, sad lives, Cavy. When I went to pride, you could just feel the love and support, but that was from the small town where I live.
Original post by CoolCavy
Horrible
Looking forward to pride at the weekend, protesters holding cards saying we all are going to burn in hell come every year but everyone is given a whistle and just creates an awful lot of noise to drown out their hate as we pass :nyan:
I don't know where to begin with these comments. Gay pride marchers are harming nobody.

I have many gay friends, and they are the most lovely, inoffensive (I would even go so far as to say peaceful) people I have ever met. They are always delighted to meet me, and never make me feel uncomfortable because I am straight. They never, ever flaunt their sexuality in front of me.

At the gay pride march where I live, there was no negativity, only love. There were not just individual people dressed up and draping themselves in the rainbow flag, but whole groups of friends, even school groups. This is the future, where people can be more accepting, open minded and caring.

Original post by PTMalewski
Not the first ever. The first was in 2002. The previous one was in 2018 in Lublin.
If journalists were fired when they don't check their facts, there would probably be none.

I actually have a feeling it is much worse than it used to be.

I'll play a little as a Devil's advocate here, and say that Imho it is exactly the opposite.
As much as I despise the far right, I actually talked to a lot of Polish far-right guys on the internet, some of who were clearly limited, and they were all saying they 'don't care what you do in your bed, but stop showing it up'. I understand, that these people feel endangered by the pride parades. Currently, the popular view in Poland is that while a certain culture might have some flaws, if it lasted for a long period of time, it means it's adapted to last, and LGBT is or might be a downfall factor. In these terms Islam is a 'better' culture, than the current European culture, because it's more vivid and likely to outlive Europe.

Besides, while I had colleagues who were gays, and would have nothing against if they have chosen to be my friends, really nice guys btw., I've never heard any of them ever saying or otherwise manifesting that they were gays, same as you don't meet a heterosexual man, casually dropping into conversation "Hey, I sleep with women", or a woman saying "Hey, I sleep with men".
It would be just weird, and it's an evolutionary adaptation that people naturally feel displeased when they experience something weird. It doesn't matter how long do you fight it, because it's an istinct that is older than entire humankind.
Unless you change the entire culture, but what for? To scare more people off, because being very sexually liberal is a feature characteristic of many historical cultures in their period of decline?
Not to mention that speaking loud about your sexual life is just in a bad taste. It's like pissing in the public- people will be displeased and dislike you for doing so, then imho, if you want the far right to get even more agressive against LGBT in Poland, then organise more pride parades. That's my opinion.

Speaking of anecdotes, you know what my grandmother said in relation to being gay in Poland?
She said, and I remember this one exactly:
"In the old days, it was normal that boys who were good friends, were going back hown, holding each other's hands. Now it's impossible, they would probably be beaten".
Another thing that it brings to my mind, is that in old Polish documentaries and memories, adult men who were in friendly terms were often hugging each other, and casually refering to each other using diminutive terms. I don't hear or see that anymore.

My uncle also had a teacher of whom everybody knew he was gay, it was back in the 60ies. Nobody cared about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending