The Student Room Group

eating meat is surely contributing to global warming

I know so many are cutting down on eating meat and some stores are cutting down their meat aisles due to lack of demand but surely if we all stopped eating meat it will help with things like global warming and stop it happening that's why we should go vegan like I am a vegan

Scroll to see replies

ugh I HATE GEOGRAPHY
What if I want it sunny?
Okay, vegan gurl.
I will stick to my steak
Original post by Notoriety
What if I want it sunny?

I know I was not meant to laugh but that is funny asf
I'm vegan but I hate vegan advocacy that has an overt focus on the environment.(not that it's not an admirable thing). I want veganism to be primarily an ethical position that opposes animal exploitation by man, for full animal(and human) liberation.

It's silly because once we find sustainable ways to produce meat, they'd simply go back! I want people to be good ppl with good intentions even if the outcome is the same. Just like I don't think Hitler did anything virtuous by killing himself and ridding his evil from the world.
I don't care about global warming so...🤷
Global Warming threads should surely be in the society forum :h: moved
If we all stopped eating meat it would help definitely, if not stop it. But we aren't going to do that in time now. Recycling and transport mean nothing next to eating meat. Watch cowspiracy if you haven't already (you probably have)
Humans: *throws unlimited plastic products*
*burns fossil fuels like there is no tomorrow*
*buys products which comes from industries known to cause damage in the ozone layer*
* cuts down trees to provide space for increasing population*
Also humans: bro i swear its the meat thats causing global warming
Original post by vegan gurl
I know so many are cutting down on eating meat and some stores are cutting down their meat aisles due to lack of demand but surely if we all stopped eating meat it will help with things like global warming and stop it happening that's why we should go vegan like I am a vegan
Original post by Leviathan1611
I don't care about global warming so...🤷

You should do. Especially if you don't like immigration.
Original post by ByEeek
You should do. Especially if you don't like immigration.

I have no problem with foreigners moving into the country, as long as they can/ are learning to speak the language.
Reply 14
Original post by vegan gurl

Such measures will be futile in the long term for as long as global population growth continues to go unaddressed.
Original post by Obolinda
I'm vegan but I hate vegan advocacy that has an overt focus on the environment.(not that it's not an admirable thing). I want veganism to be primarily an ethical position that opposes animal exploitation by man, for full animal(and human) liberation.

It's silly because once we find sustainable ways to produce meat, they'd simply go back! I want people to be good ppl with good intentions even if the outcome is the same. Just like I don't think Hitler did anything virtuous by killing himself and ridding his evil from the world.

I can't agree with this logic at all.

Yes feel free to persuade people that eating meat is ethically wrong. But if that fails, surely you need to accept what you can get! Reduced meat consumption is less suffering, whatever the motive.

As to your concern about long-term impact and sustainable production: 1) I don't think that is coming any time soon. Animals are fundamentally living creatures - they move and breathe and waste loads of energy and no technology is going to change that, and 2) I think that once people stop eating meat, the whole idea of taking an animal, killing it, butchering it and eating it just becomes so alien that I can't imagine people going back if there is any alternative.

In fact, I think that an environmental argument creating a real break in meat consumption would fundamentally change the ethics regarding meat consumption far more effectively than any argument you could ever make.

Meat consumption in the UK is dropping quite sharply yes. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/vegetarian-food-cost-savings-benefit-health-environment-vegan-meat-eating-a8722771.html

This slowdown will likely significantly jump post-Brexit, as food becomes more expensive.
Original post by nanachan123
Humans: *throws unlimited plastic products*
*burns fossil fuels like there is no tomorrow*
*buys products which comes from industries known to cause damage in the ozone layer*
* cuts down trees to provide space for increasing population*
Also humans: bro i swear its the meat thats causing global warming

The meat industry is a huge contributor though. For example, for the last example you picked there: in the modern world most of the trees we cut down for land are for farming: cattle farming.

Eating a plant-based diet would rank about recycling, and above any 'product that damages the ozone layer' you are thinking of for sure.

It is below things like long-haul flights and running a car, though.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/07/best-way-reduce-your-carbon-footprint-one-government-isn-t-telling-you-about
I have no problem with foreigners moving into the country, as long as they can/ are learning to speak the language.

I didn't realise millions of people running from flooding and drought had time to learn English!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
I didn't realise millions of people running from flooding and drought had time to learn English!

well I did say "learning to speak English", which they can do once they arrive. Wow
the kindest thing you can do for the environment is not reproduce :h:
well I did say "learning to speak English", which they can do once they arrive. Wow

So you aren't against millions of non-English speaking, desperately poor immigrants?

Well that's ok then :smile: Lets open the flood gates! Although given the nature of the problem not literally, of course...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
So you aren't against millions of non-English speaking immigrants?

Well that's ok then :smile:

as long as they are willing and actively trying to learn the language, I am content.

I'd prefer they already know enough to actually have a full on conversation with a native on their own but that's not always possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending