The Student Room Group

An eating disorder

So I’ve got disordered eating. I wrote my issues couples weeks back and people told me to talk to the GP. So I’m here to ask, how do I begin?

And omg why is it that I binge now?? I never used to. I used to fully control myself.

Scroll to see replies

Phone up your GP and ask for an appointment. Say what you're experiencing and they should be able to forward you/offer you counselling.

You might be binging to fill a hole in your life. I'm not a binge eater thankfully, but I do comfort eat around exam time and times like that.
Reply 2
Original post by Lilli22
Phone up your GP and ask for an appointment. Say what you're experiencing and they should be able to forward you/offer you counselling.

You might be binging to fill a hole in your life. I'm not a binge eater thankfully, but I do comfort eat around exam time and times like that.

What if I don’t want/like counselling?
My “binge” is 1,500 cals. I feel sick after.
Original post by Anonymous

I've also got an eating disorder and have had for a while. I'll begin by saying that if you don't want to recover/aren't ready to, then don't. I was triggered into recovering by friends and I'm currently relapsing, so, provided your weight is healthy, then wait until you're ready. I'll also add that 1500 calories is not a binge by any stretch of the imagination.
Reply 4
Is a binge like 3000cals plus?
I genuinely feel like I’m not ready to “recover” mainly because I haven’t reached my goal weight. I started this to lose weight and I still haven’t done much (I lost 16pounds)
I genuinely feel like I’m not ready to “recover” mainly because I haven’t reached my goal weight. I started this to lose weight and I still haven’t done much (I lost 16pounds)

Could you delete this and repost it please, quoting my anonymous post? I wanted to be anonymous.
Reply 6
Could you delete this and repost it please, quoting my anonymous post? I wanted to be anonymous.

How do I delete it?
Don't tell people not to recover...
I've also got an eating disorder and have had for a while. I'll begin by saying that if you don't want to recover/aren't ready to, then don't. I was triggered into recovering by friends and I'm currently relapsing, so, provided your weight is healthy, then wait until you're ready. I'll also add that 1500 calories is not a binge by any stretch of the imagination.

OP a binge is what you think it is to an extent. If you went out for a 3 course meal and ate 1500 cal in 1.5hrs it wouldn't be a binge as you've eaten in control and a normal amount for the context. If you're sat in your room shoving sausage rolls and biscuits in as fast as you can and unable to stop and eat 1500 then it's a binge.

Go see your doctor. They may suggest medication but honestly you need some form of talking treatment for an eating disorder.

Well a binge is basically where you feel out of control in relation to food, so 1500 calories may feel like a binge, but objectively 1500 calories is not over-eating at all. You should also know that 16lbs is a massive weight loss.

Original post by doodle_333

OP a binge is what you think it is to an extent. If you went out for a 3 course meal and ate 1500 cal in 1.5hrs it wouldn't be a binge as you've eaten in control and a normal amount for the context. If you're sat in your room shoving sausage rolls and biscuits in as fast as you can and unable to stop and eat 1500 then it's a binge.

Go see your doctor. They may suggest medication but honestly you need some form of talking treatment for an eating disorder.

If OP is not ready to recover, then recovery won't work and there's no point in telling OP just to recover and expect it to miraculously happen. I was triggered into recovering and it just meant that I moved into bulimia before relapsing into anorexia. OP should recover when they are ready to do so.
No one can be forced to recover from anything
But you’ve taken the first step by acknowledging that you may have a problem.
Although you’ve given some stats it’s all relative
What was your starting weight and what is your goal?
Do you eat healthily even though you control your calories
I lost 5.5 stone last year and now weigh 138. My tdee is only 1560 because I have a disability that means I’m sedentary. If I ate 1500 in one sitting I think I’d cry
That doesn’t mean I have an eating disorder. I’d be gutted I’d blown it as I don’t want to gain weight
Perhaps your first step should be to go discuss it with your gp anyway. Then they’re aware so when you are ready to recover they know your history to help you.
Original post by doodle_333

This exactly what happens to me every time I eat after 9!!
I can not stop myself from eating like why tf does every thing had to turn into a binge. Besides, I’m honestly so sure that I ate more than 1500cals yesterday. Like yesterday, I felt sick for a bit then decided to eat again after it stopped looool I’m dumb. I’m here talking about someone that’s scared of gaining weight and eating unhealthy food. Meh
If OP is not ready to recover, then recovery won't work and there's no point in telling OP just to recover and expect it to miraculously happen. I was triggered into recovering and it just meant that I moved into bulimia before relapsing into anorexia. OP should recover when they are ready to do so.

Tbh I think it was more. When I feel in control while eating, I don’t count calories lol. For me, 16lbs wasn’t that much for me
The reason it happens on a night it because your body is hungry. It’s gone all day with probably very little.
If you have to restrict yourself then try to use your calories during the day eating protein and some carbs so you limit the urge to binge
I can not stop myself from eating like why tf does every thing had to turn into a binge. Besides, I’m honestly so sure that I ate more than 1500cals yesterday. Like yesterday, I felt sick for a bit then decided to eat again after it stopped looool I’m dumb. I’m here talking about someone that’s scared of gaining weight and eating unhealthy food. Meh
Original post by Sammylou40
No one can be forced to recover from anything
But you’ve taken the first step by acknowledging that you may have a problem.
Although you’ve given some stats it’s all relative
What was your starting weight and what is your goal?
Do you eat healthily even though you control your calories
I lost 5.5 stone last year and now weigh 138. My tdee is only 1560 because I have a disability that means I’m sedentary. If I ate 1500 in one sitting I think I’d cry
That doesn’t mean I have an eating disorder. I’d be gutted I’d blown it as I don’t want to gain weight
Perhaps your first step should be to go discuss it with your gp anyway. Then they’re aware so when you are ready to recover they know your history to help you.

My starting weight was 77/78kg and now I’m 70 but my body does fluctuate to 73kg and I hate it. Yes, when I’m counting calories, I eat mostly healthy but I do restrict heavily sometimes (like 3 times a week. Only is I binged tho). Woow congrats!!! How did you do that? True, I might not even have an eating disorder. Happy days
Original post by Sammylou40
The reason it happens on a night it because your body is hungry. It’s gone all day with probably very little.
If you have to restrict yourself then try to use your calories during the day eating protein and some carbs so you limit the urge to binge

Thanks for the tip. Actually it’s the opposite, I binge before 9 because I don’t feel in control at all but after 9, I could eat a meal feel satisfied then go to sleep x. Do proteins actually make you feel full?

You don't have to get counselling if you don't want to. I'm not sure if there's any more advice they can give you other than to speak to someone because I don't think it can be treated with drugs, though maybe you'll be diagnosed for other things (like depression, just an example) which may be influencing your eating disorder.

Are the 1,500 calories in one session or do you mean an entire day?
OP had literally chosen to go to the GP, on the advice of friends yes but not forced. That shows they are considering recovery. Most anorexics never feel 'ready' this is a totally idealistic idea... at some point you just start fighting. Just because your recovery didn't work out doesn't mean you should dissuade others from trying when eating disorders literally kill people.

Also 1500 cals is an unsual amount to eat in a short space of time assuming it's not unusual circumstances.
Well a binge is basically where you feel out of control in relation to food, so 1500 calories may feel like a binge, but objectively 1500 calories is not over-eating at all. You should also know that 16lbs is a massive weight loss.

Your body is starving and takes control from your brain to keep you alive. It's very normal.
So you are bulimic?
YEs they help you feel fuller for longer. Lean ones like chicken and turkey. Eat them with loads of veg or salad and you’ll get enough vitamins and minerals without too many calories. 4oz of a chicken breast is around 100 Calories
I cut my calories and ditched bread potatoes rice and pasta. Now I occasionally have bread but only whole meal.
If you’re female remember that your weight will fluctuate wildly throughout the month due to hormones. There’s nothing you can do about it. The best day of the month to get weighed is the morning after the first full day of your period. The water weight will have gone. It’s best then if you can just bear to weigh yourself once a month on this day.

Thanks for the tip. Actually it’s the opposite, I binge before 9 because I don’t feel in control at all but after 9, I could eat a meal feel satisfied then go to sleep x. Do proteins actually make you feel full?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending