The Student Room Group

Got a place for law, regretting not applying for vet med?

Hi all

I have always been divided on whether to study law or vet med (just a slight difference I know) and eventually decided on law. Since gaining deferred offers for law and having a good think over the summer, once again I am contemplating whether I want to study vet med instead...

The issue is that I don't have any science A-levels so would need to do these (I'm assuming online/distance learning) and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of doing something like this and changing their mind last minute and reapplying? Also how this will be viewed by universities?

I'm still not 100% sure on what I want to do and am so torn by this, I've done work experience in both fields but still hasn't helped me make up my mind. I am taking a gap year anyway and doing it animal-related (so work experience requirements won't be an issue) but just really am not sure on my next steps and whether if I decide to pursue the vet route the best way at doing so.

Any tips, stories etc would be much appreciated!
Law can be very tedious, so if you're going to see it through you're going to want to be 100% sure it's what you want to do.

A lot of people that I've met this year have gotten into law either thinking that they're going to earn a lot of money (and then become disappointed to find that their favourite area of law isn't very well paid at all) or find out that it's not all what they thought it would be. I'm not trying to put you off of the idea but it can be extremely tiring; you'll have a large amount of reading to do, you'll have an almost non-existent social life compared to your other uni friends and you'll have to work hard to secure places in law firms since it's extremely competitive.

If you're determined to study law after these considerations then go for it and pursue your place, it can be very interesting and rewarding and you'll have a lot of great experiences along the way. If you're still not so sure then it may be worth looking at Vet Med or something else you're passionate about.
Original post by M2001
Hi all

I have always been divided on whether to study law or vet med (just a slight difference I know) and eventually decided on law. Since gaining deferred offers for law and having a good think over the summer, once again I am contemplating whether I want to study vet med instead...

The issue is that I don't have any science A-levels so would need to do these (I'm assuming online/distance learning) and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of doing something like this and changing their mind last minute and reapplying? Also how this will be viewed by universities?

I'm still not 100% sure on what I want to do and am so torn by this, I've done work experience in both fields but still hasn't helped me make up my mind. I am taking a gap year anyway and doing it animal-related (so work experience requirements won't be an issue) but just really am not sure on my next steps and whether if I decide to pursue the vet route the best way at doing so.

Any tips, stories etc would be much appreciated!

I don't know much about these courses so I might not be much help. But what appeals to you about Law and what appeals to you about Vet Med? Definitely take the gap year and if I was you I wouldn't reject my offer for Law just yet and leave it until September or October. I am in a similar position because I applied for a science based course, took a gap year because I am considering medicine but I am still doubting if studying medicine is the right choice for me. By the end of the gap year you still might not be sure and might decide to take another gap year or like I'm doing, I'm just going to select one and go for it. You still have like a year to change your mind so even if you apply for VetMed and decide you don't want to anymore and would rather do law, there might be places in clearing or UCAS extra so it's not the end of the world. This decision used to really get me down especially in sixth form when everyone would ask me what I wanted to do and I couldn't give them an answer, it was really stressful. But since having my own space and time to think things through I've realised it's hard to say what the right or wrong choice is, there isn't really one. And you can always change your mind and career route further down the line. Good luck
If you think Law is a hard degree then Vet Med makes it look like a stroll in the path (I am a vet and I know students who do both). You definitely shouldn't do Vet Med unless you are 100% sure you want to do it so the fact that you aren't sure, even after doing work experience, tells me that you should definitely do something else.
Reply 4
Original post by animalmagic
If you think Law is a hard degree then Vet Med makes it look like a stroll in the path (I am a vet and I know students who do both). You definitely shouldn't do Vet Med unless you are 100% sure you want to do it so the fact that you aren't sure, even after doing work experience, tells me that you should definitely do something else.

Its not about thinking Law is hard, its more about the future & career prospects - whether I want to be working in an office in the city for the rest of my life. The main reason for not applying for Vet Med was because I started Science A-levels and really didn't enjoy them and found learning about plants, microscopes etc dull. This may sound stupid, but how much of the Vet Med degree is scientific as opposed to theoretically and practically focused on animals?
Original post by M2001
Its not about thinking Law is hard, its more about the future & career prospects - whether I want to be working in an office in the city for the rest of my life. The main reason for not applying for Vet Med was because I started Science A-levels and really didn't enjoy them and found learning about plants, microscopes etc dull. This may sound stupid, but how much of the Vet Med degree is scientific as opposed to theoretically and practically focused on animals?

Certainly at the start of the degree there is a lot of theoretical science especially loads of cell biology etc. As you go through into clinical it gets a lot more relevant and practical. The universities do vary through and Nottingham especially is known for being more practical from day 1.
doing both Chemistry and Biology A levels online/distance would be pretty difficult. There are required practicals.
Given the massive hoops that people have to jump through to get on a vet med course - when they are really sure that it is right for them - I would take a really big step back and think about your goals. It would be a 5 (or 6 for Cambridge) year course with all the associated loans, once you had the required A/A* A levels..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending