The Student Room Group

Attire at uni?

Hi all,

My current wardrobe consists mainly of T-shirts and pants. I'm concerned if I'm going to be underdressed for lectures or just in general? Also should I invest in long-sleeve shirts since I'm headed to London, which I've heard is quite cold all year round.

Cheers.
Original post by ryanhenryh
Hi all,

My current wardrobe consists mainly of T-shirts and pants. I'm concerned if I'm going to be underdressed for lectures or just in general? Also should I invest in long-sleeve shirts since I'm headed to London, which I've heard is quite cold all year round.

Cheers.

Everyone at university in the UK wears casual clothes (i.e. whatever you feel comfortable in), and would only wear formal clothes if there was an event that warranted it.

The UK winters can be pretty cold, wet, and windy, so definitely invest in a waterproof coat, long sleeved tops (hoodies, sweatshirts, jumpers etc.), and a thick winter coat.
My undergrad lectures ranged from full suit to pyjamas and everywhere in between. Just wear something you feel comfortable in. And London is cold in the winter but not too bad in the summer (I guess it's relative to where you're coming from)
Reply 3
You can literally walk around in anything, show up in your pyjamas if it suits you. It’s no one else’s business. This is likely the most freedom you’ll have in your entire life. Just be comfortable. If you like putting in effort, do that, I just showed up looking like rubbish for the majority of the time.
As a Londoner, I would recommend you investing in a good raincoat, it could downpour on any given day.

Typically the only time a particular form of dress is required is for labs / practicals where a lab coat might be needed, and your hair has to be tied back if it is long enough to avoid fire / machine tools etc. You do occasionally see students turing up very well dressed if there is a recruitment fair on and they want to impress some visitors from industry, but other than that, whatever you are comfortable in. Odds are you lecturers will have seen / worn far wilder stuff in the past.
What do people typically wear around halls? Just casual clothes, pyjamas, boxers etc?
Original post by Anonymous
What do people typically wear around halls? Just casual clothes, pyjamas, boxers etc?

Casual clothes and pjs - remember to wear pjs to bed as the inevitable fire alarm will go off at 3am from some dodgy bacon frying and you will be evacuated to the streets of London.

As someone who lived in a mixed sex halls - please wear more than just boxers around halls!
Original post by Anonymous

Same as above for halls, though remember that many halls are mixed so generally boxers only in communial areas / kitchens etc is a no no. Whatever you are comfortable with and doesnt cause offence.
Reply 9
Original post by Noodlzzz
Casual clothes and pjs - remember to wear pjs to bed as the inevitable fire alarm will go off at 3am from some dodgy bacon frying and you will be evacuated to the streets of London.

As someone who lived in a mixed sex halls - please wear more than just boxers around halls!

I lived in a mixed sex halls, most people just walked around or sat around in their underwear or often just in towels.

We're adults, we all know what other humans look like.
Reply 10
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Same as above for halls, though remember that many halls are mixed so generally boxers only in communial areas / kitchens etc is a no no. Whatever you are comfortable with and doesnt cause offence.

Its really not a no no. You're living together, you're going to see them naked at some point.

Stop it with the Victorian prudishness.
I slobbed around in leggings and a hoodie for uni. People generally don't give a **** what you're wearing. London isn't that cold, I think you'll be fine. If you need warmer clothes then buy when you're there.
Hi all,

Cheers.

no don't bother ally anyone really wears at uni is jeans t-shirt hoodie jacket if it's cold you'll be fine.
Hi all,

Cheers.

You can't be underdressed for lectures, wear whatever. People dress very casually and no one will care.

Also I presume you're coming from a hot country if you think London is cold- its often far hotter than the rest of the country, and from what I've seen summers look painfully hot (frequently high 20s to low 30s). Luckily I've never had to go to london though lol

It's more rain you need to be prepared for, and the fairly cool winters. Still nothing exceptionally cold though (very rarely goes below zero in london)
Original post by desou
Its really not a no no. You're living together, you're going to see them naked at some point.

Stop it with the Victorian prudishness.

Please remember that we are about to be taken back to the Victorian era in many ways.

Quick Reply

Latest