The Student Room Group

Poor pay or am I exaggerating?

So i’m in Uni and i’m 21 years old and i’m in my 3rd year at Uni which is a placement year. My placement has technically finished a few months ago and i’m working there still being “They really need my help”, so I stayed on. My roles have dramatically increased with me managing payments and becoming the places IT support as i’m just very good with computers, so I fix all of them too. I already work over the national limit without signing anything roughly 57 hours Mon-Sat. So I essentially work 3 roles for the company but my pay hasn’t increased and 1 time by accident I was fixing the accountants computer and found out how much everybody gets paid, to find out i’m the lowest paid person in the company, only earning minimum wage of £7.80 per hour. I found out the cleaner earns £10 per hour, the drivers who are foreign and don’t speak good english earn £12-15 per hour and people doing the same job I did originally earning £14-18 per hour and i’m doing 2 other roles on top of that which is fairly critical for everyday use.

So I have been there for 11months now, so i’m fairly newish but some people who have joined only 4 months ago are earning more.

I asked about my pay to be increased and they said i’m getting a fair pay similar if not more than other people, without them knowing I have seen the actual pay. Should I just leave the company or am I being stupid?
Original post by Anonymous
So i’m in Uni and i’m 21 years old and i’m in my 3rd year at Uni which is a placement year. My placement has technically finished a few months ago and i’m working there still being “They really need my help”, so I stayed on. My roles have dramatically increased with me managing payments and becoming the places IT support as i’m just very good with computers, so I fix all of them too. I already work over the national limit without signing anything roughly 57 hours Mon-Sat. So I essentially work 3 roles for the company but my pay hasn’t increased and 1 time by accident I was fixing the accountants computer and found out how much everybody gets paid, to find out i’m the lowest paid person in the company, only earning minimum wage of £7.80 per hour. I found out the cleaner earns £10 per hour, the drivers who are foreign and don’t speak good english earn £12-15 per hour and people doing the same job I did originally earning £14-18 per hour and i’m doing 2 other roles on top of that which is fairly critical for everyday use.

So I have been there for 11months now, so i’m fairly newish but some people who have joined only 4 months ago are earning more.

I asked about my pay to be increased and they said i’m getting a fair pay similar if not more than other people, without them knowing I have seen the actual pay. Should I just leave the company or am I being stupid?

if you don't need the job, then i 'd consider looking elsewhere. 57 hours a week is not sustainable
dude i'm 17 and i get £11 per hour... change your job if you can!
Lay it on the line to your boss, he needs you more than you need him.
Don't pussy out, go straight in his office and tell him your not going to work for **** pay any more, you know how much the previous guy got and you want more as you are doing more tasks, mention that he will be royally ****ed if you weren't fixing his I.T woes. .
If he doesn't deliver tell him to "get ****ed" and leave.
Never stay in a job where you are paid **** all, you are just being taken for a mug.
Reply 4
I think I really need to see a reply like this. Thanks
Original post by blue collar
Lay it on the line to your boss, he needs you more than you need him.
Don't pussy out, go straight in his office and tell him your not going to work for **** pay any more, you know how much the previous guy got and you want more as you are doing more tasks, mention that he will be royally ****ed if you weren't fixing his I.T woes. .
If he doesn't deliver tell him to "get ****ed" and leave.
Never stay in a job where you are paid **** all, you are just being taken for a mug.
Completely agree with the others. You can’t work that amount of time for that much. You’re doing them a favour by staying on when you don’t have to. Demand more and know your worth :smile:
Mate, I get paid more than you doing less work. Find somewhere else but don’t leave your current job until you’ve secured employment somewhere else.
The drivers at your company are earning £32000 per year?!
They've said no. Kicking off isn't the answer. Just decide if you want to stay (and if you do cut down to 40 hrs per week) or leave if you don't get fair pay and then put it to your boss that there are other employers paying more so you're leaving unless they pay you more (have a number in mind). Don't kick off. You want a reference at the end of the day and it won't work. Just calmly say you're leaving. Also make sure you take into account the fact you're not qualified and not sticking around after 1 year so you shouldn't be earning the same as others fdoingyour job.
dude i'm 17 and i get £11 per hour... change your job if you can!

£11 doing what??
Reply 10
Original post by doodle_333
They've said no.

Huh? Who has....? To what...?
The boss said they were getting a fair wage.
Original post by Quady
Only the ones who have been there a few years, the standard ones are on £12 which is about £24,000
Original post by AntiMonarchist
The drivers at your company are earning £32000 per year?!
His boss... to a pay rise...
Original post by Quady
Reply 14
Only the ones who have been there a few years, the standard ones are on £12 which is about £24,000

People at McDonald's earn more than you.

Just let that sink in.
Leave.

They are pushing emotional buttons in your head and taking advantage. The very basics of it is this sort of thing happens in all bad companies, people dump work on people they perceive they can get away with it. Some human beings even do things like convince themselves that they believe the person being dumped on actually really enjoys the extra work! What generally happens is a manager will go oh that's disappointing so and so left and then be up **** creek without a paddle and start kicking off after a couple of months when it becomes obvious, then they'll go and find someone else to do this to.

As you are on a placement you are in a particularly vulnerable position. That's ended though.

Go. Walk out the door. Dum dum dum.

Don't kick off, be the utmost model of politeness.

If you wanted the nuclear options (and I'm not recommending any of these) working time directives, there's also unlawful deduction of wages and even equal pay claims. Not recommending. The most sneaky way to do it is to leave and shop them to HMRC on not paying you the minimum wage if you have evidence of working 57 hours a week. Minimum wage laws are so laxly enforced but in more recent years they have been cracking down more, particularly on placements and internships.

Buy a book on negotiation and read it for future jobs, something like Never split the difference. Also have a riffle through employment law stuff for future jobs.
That’s my problem I do get minimum wage for my age which is £7.70 I believe. But i’m not sure what effect doing so many hours has, I need to look into that. However I probably won’t report them, just so I can get an understanding for myself
Original post by marinade
Leave.

They are pushing emotional buttons in your head and taking advantage. The very basics of it is this sort of thing happens in all bad companies, people dump work on people they perceive they can get away with it. Some human beings even do things like convince themselves that they believe the person being dumped on actually really enjoys the extra work! What generally happens is a manager will go oh that's disappointing so and so left and then be up **** creek without a paddle and start kicking off after a couple of months when it becomes obvious, then they'll go and find someone else to do this to.

As you are on a placement you are in a particularly vulnerable position. That's ended though.

Go. Walk out the door. Dum dum dum.

Don't kick off, be the utmost model of politeness.

If you wanted the nuclear options (and I'm not recommending any of these) working time directives, there's also unlawful deduction of wages and even equal pay claims. Not recommending. The most sneaky way to do it is to leave and shop them to HMRC on not paying you the minimum wage if you have evidence of working 57 hours a week. Minimum wage laws are so laxly enforced but in more recent years they have been cracking down more, particularly on placements and internships.

Buy a book on negotiation and read it for future jobs, something like Never split the difference. Also have a riffle through employment law stuff for future jobs.
Unless you have the balls to go in to your bosses office and demand a proper rate of pay you will be earning **** all for the rest of your life.
Are you going to live at home for ever? No woman's going respect a guy that earns peanuts.
You could earn more filling shelves or flipping burgers.
I have already told you what to say, now first thing tomorrow grab your balls go straight in to his office and either come out with more money or a box to cart of the **** from your desk.
Be aggressive and let your boss know that you have him by the balls, he will respect you for not being a wimp.
Don't take his first offer, drive a hard bargain.
That's actually so unfair
That’s my problem I do get minimum wage for my age which is £7.70 I believe. But i’m not sure what effect doing so many hours has, I need to look into that. However I probably won’t report them, just so I can get an understanding for myself

The effect of so many hours could be that you are illegally being paid under the minimum wage???

Look, it's for you to decide what to do on the should I stay or should I go.

Some would say that you need to create clearer boundaries so you are valued and respected more.

Look a lot of us have been here, not criticising. Good luck with it. I learnt this stuff when I was a trade union rep. Working Time Directive stuff is often a very big bluff. I remember someone who came and asked me for advice on an illegal working pattern and their manager said they had to do it. They were threatened with changing their hours if they didn't accept it. Came and asked for advice, said I cannot say to my manager very politely that is illegal, sorry I can't do that. The manager is going to hate me. Changed their mind, did it the next morning and the manager never said a single thing ever again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending