The Student Room Group

Leaving old school and retaking year 12 - am I allowed?

So basically, I passed 2 A levels, bio (d) and sociology (b), and failed chem (u), which means I have o do an extra year. My school has made me do applied science BTEC (year 12), sociology (year 13) and psychology (year 12), so I will spend another year finishing applied science and psychology. The problem is I do not want to do applied science at all, and I need biology to do physiotherapy and even though I passed, and other people got D in biology and were still allowed on the course, I wasn't. I knew something like this might happen, so I applied to another sixth form for Biology, sociology and psychology and they have said I can apply on enrollment day, I just need to bring my reference and GCSE results. The reference is a form that has to be signed and stamped by my form tutor, is my current school able to stop me from moving and doing year 12 again elsewhere, despite me having an offer?
No your school cannot stop you leaving, especially if you have a place elsewhere. The reference will just be so they know the other school doesn't have you as a student on their books.
Original post by vicvic38
No your school cannot stop you leaving, especially if you have a place elsewhere. The reference will just be so they know the other school doesn't have you as a student on their books.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, what do you mean by have me as a student on their books?
Original post by zoe.nyaku
Sorry if this sounds dumb, what do you mean by have me as a student on their books?

on their register

Basically you can't be registered as a full time student at two centres at once.
Original post by vicvic38
Basically you can't be registered as a full time student at two centres at once.

Ohhhh okay yeah I see what you mean. I'm going to just get my reference signed tommorow by my form tutor then tell my head of year I won't be coming back so they can give my place up. Thanks!
Ohhhh okay yeah I see what you mean. I'm going to just get my reference signed tommorow by my form tutor then tell my head of year I won't be coming back so they can give my place upSouu. Thanks!

Sounds good! I wish you the best of luck at your new centre.
So basically, I passed 2 A levels, bio (d) and sociology (b), and failed chem (u), which means I have o do an extra year. My school has made me do applied science BTEC (year 12), sociology (year 13) and psychology (year 12), so I will spend another year finishing applied science and psychology. The problem is I do not want to do applied science at all, and I need biology to do physiotherapy and even though I passed, and other people got D in biology and were still allowed on the course, I wasn't. I knew something like this might happen, so I applied to another sixth form for Biology, sociology and psychology and they have said I can apply on enrollment day, I just need to bring my reference and GCSE results. The reference is a form that has to be signed and stamped by my form tutor, is my current school able to stop me from moving and doing year 12 again elsewhere, despite me having an offer?

Just to point out they have said you can apply, it doesnt sound like they have said they will accept you for definite.
As long as the new school feels it has funding for you and can take you then you dont need permission from your old school.
I would run it past the new school again to make sure they would be able to take you on the basis of your gcse for the subjects you want to do. If you onbly need one science, then consider whether you can cope or need chemistry.
Original post by 999tigger
Just to point out they have said you can apply, it doesnt sound like they have said they will accept you for definite.
As long as the new school feels it has funding for you and can take you then you dont need permission from your old school.
I would run it past the new school again to make sure they would be able to take you on the basis of your gcse for the subjects you want to do. If you onbly need one science, then consider whether you can cope or need chemistry.

It is definite, I went for an interview and got a conditional, they just need my results and reference

Apply is the wrong word, I have applied already, I just now have to enrol, because I didnt have a reference at the time of interview but I talked to the head and he said it is fine just bring it on enrollment day
Apply is the wrong word, I have applied already, I just now have to enrol, because I didnt have a reference at the time of interview but I talked to the head and he said it is fine just bring it on enrollment day

Ok thats great then, didnt want any nasty surpises for you.

Old school shouldnt cause any issue. You might want to ask what the reference needs to say, so its done right.
If theres any issue with old school then get your parents involved.

In terms of subjects you arent clear what A levels you will be doing. If you can drop Chemistry because you cant cope then do something easier. Check with your uni entrance requirements but I think its one of those things like nursing that just needs one science. A D in Chemistry wont help.

You need to work out what went wrong and how you are going to put it right.
Redoing 12 imo is the right thing.
Ok thats great then, didnt want any nasty surpises for you.

Old school shouldnt cause any issue. You might want to ask what the reference needs to say, so its done right.
If theres any issue with old school then get your parents involved.

In terms of subjects you arent clear what A levels you will be doing. If you can drop Chemistry because you cant cope then do something easier. Check with your uni entrance requirements but I think its one of those things like nursing that just needs one science. A D in Chemistry wont help.

You need to work out what went wrong and how you are going to put it right.
Redoing 12 imo is the right thing.

Yeah I get what you mean, and I basically want to do biology, sociology and psychology to drop chemistry because I know I could do the year again and absolutely get a higher grade because I know what I did wrong, but I would hate it and wouldn't enjoy it and I have been researching a lot about psychology and I know it will suit me. Also so physiotherapy is really great in the sense that Biology is a must for majority of the schools, only 2 allow applied science as your science subject but they are not the best for the course, and then for the 2nd and 3rd a level all unis have a list and Russell groups accept psychology and sociology, as well as geography so. I have also checked all the unis and have called to confirm that they accept year 12 resits and my subject combination. And with the reference it's good in the sense that it's literally just a double sided sheet where my teacher has to write my attendance, punctuality, tick 4 boxes and stamp it. No extra comments are needed
Yeah I get what you mean, and I basically want to do biology, sociology and psychology to drop chemistry because I know I could do the year again and absolutely get a higher grade because I know what I did wrong, but I would hate it and wouldn't enjoy it and I have been researching a lot about psychology and I know it will suit me. Also so physiotherapy is really great in the sense that Biology is a must for majority of the schools, only 2 allow applied science as your science subject but they are not the best for the course, and then for the 2nd and 3rd a level all unis have a list and Russell groups accept psychology and sociology, as well as geography so. I have also checked all the unis and have called to confirm that they accept year 12 resits and my subject combination. And with the reference it's good in the sense that it's literally just a double sided sheet where my teacher has to write my attendance, punctuality, tick 4 boxes and stamp it. No extra comments are needed

That sounds fine and you have done a good job by making the decision and then putting it into action.
Resits are rarely an issue for unis except on courses like medicine.

I would still feel happier if I had something in writing to say they offered a place to me to do year 12 and those subjects.
No idea, but your teacher might send it to the head.

Dont annoy old school and be friendly so you get what you need.
That sounds fine and you have done a good job by making the decision and then putting it into action.
Resits are rarely an issue for unis except on courses like medicine.

I would still feel happier if I had something in writing to say they offered a place to me to do year 12 and those subjects.
No idea, but your teacher might send it to the head.

Dont annoy old school and be friendly so you get what you need.

I think I will definitely contact the school tommorow as well and get it in writing just to be 100% sure there are no nasty surprises on enrolment day. My head of year is not the most understanding of people so it will be very interesting to see how this will go when he finds out, which is one of the reasons I am getting my form tutor to sign instead of him
I think I will definitely contact the school tommorow as well and get it in writing just to be 100% sure there are no nasty surprises on enrolment day. My head of year is not the most understanding of people so it will be very interesting to see how this will go when he finds out, which is one of the reasons I am getting my form tutor to sign instead of him

Not much the old school can do. They exist just to give you the reference now.
Its the new school and an in writing offer you need. Pays to be careful and cautious.
Not much the old school can do. They exist just to give you the reference now.
Its the new school and an in writing offer you need. Pays to be careful and cautious.

Literally sent an email 30 minutes ago thinking they would not reply until tommorow, but they have confirmed a letter will be sent to me next week detailing enrollment of my subjects! So now it's just the reference and all sorted thankfully
Literally sent an email 30 minutes ago thinking they would not reply until tommorow, but they have confirmed a letter will be sent to me next week detailing enrollment of my subjects! So now it's just the reference and all sorted thankfully

Good. Now nothing to worry about, although you have a plan to make the year count. It should be worth it as long as you take advantage of the opportunity.
Good. Now nothing to worry about, although you have a plan to make the year count. It should be worth it as long as you take advantage of the opportunity.

Absolutely I know what I did wrong and 100% understand the importance of working and revising all the way throughout the year now
UPADTE
I have just enrolled into the new school. They are giving me a chance to retake the same subjects. I will be on a 6 week probation period, but yeah all good. Will email my old school and tell them I no longerr want to come and be forced into subjects I hate :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest