The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sentry_going_up
I'm actually getting quite excited for results even if they are bad

if those grades were your predicted grades then I literally cannot find a single reason as to why you won't achieve them, I mean they are high!😮 you most be in the top 1%
Original post by Ja78975
if those grades were your predicted grades then I literally cannot find a single reason as to why you won't achieve them, I mean they are high!😮 you most be in the top 1%

people have bad exams, plenty of reasons as to why someone won't achieve their predicted grades no matter how high they are. Take my maths grades for example. Maths exams (we do plenty one every Friday for whole year 11) I regularly get 100% in if not in the 90%s which results in grade 9s. In my mock exams in February I was going through an extremely tough time and dropped to a grade 8. This happened in pretty much all my subjects I dropped a grade or two.
Then what if it was just an exam that was based on your weak points. In my eyes exams are pot luck, but you can add to your luck by working hard. The grades will be what they will be in August, and only you yourself truly knows weather or not you deserve that grade and if you are happy with it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Eek! :eek3:
Hoping for 7s or higher in every subject :crossedf:
Original post by laurawatt
Eek! :eek3:
Hoping for 7s or higher in every subject :crossedf:

Is it me or are students achieving higher GCSE grades every year, I took my GCSE's in 2017 and people generally got grade 6/7 and 1 or 2 people in the whole year would get some 9s. Congrats on the other hand, hope it goes well!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ja78975
Is it me or are students achieving higher GCSE grades every year, I took my GCSE's in 2017 and people generally got grade 6/7 and 1 or 2 people in the whole year would get some 9s. Congrats on the other hand, hope it goes well!

I think what it is is that most of the people on these threads and forums are people who care quite considerably about their gcses. As a general rule of thumb those who care work harder and do better. So it is a very biased sample of the population (GCSE cohort) on these threads with most people aiming for the very top grades. So it makes it seem like larger proportions want the top grades but its down to the factor of those people being on sites like this.
As a general rule of thumb roughly same % of students achieve a certain grade year after year.
Thats why last year's boundaries and papers and statistics are used to help construct the current years grade boundaries.
hope that makes sense hard to explain lol 🤣
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Cookies n cream
I think what it is is that most of the people on these threads and forums are people who care quite considerably about their gcses. As a general rule of thumb those who care work harder and do better. So it is a very biased sample of the population (GCSE cohort) on these threads with most people aiming for the very top grades. So it makes it seem like larger proportions want the top grades but its down to the factor of those people being on sites like this.
hope that makes sense hard to explain lol 🤣

Thanks, your absolutely right I wasn't really aware of TSR when I took GCSE's but It has kind of changed in terms of what people post on here, I mean have you see what people post? 😂😂 relationship advice, leaving certain religions etc.
mind you I was one of those students that achieved high grades in GCSE's and college so I can totally see where your coming from.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ja78975

I don't know, I'm quite academic generally :dontknow: This site does normally attract more academic students though, as it's full of revision material etc. so that may be why you're seeing a lot of people with very high predicted grades :smile:
There are comparable outcomes between each year though, so the same (or just about) amount of students will get the same grade each year.
Most schools now teach exactly to the spec and focus heavily on exam technique so students are getting better at the exam without knowing more content than in previous years.
Original post by laurawatt
I don't know, I'm quite academic generally :dontknow: This site does normally attract more academic students though, as it's full of revision material etc. so that may be why you're seeing a lot of people with very high predicted grades :smile:
There are comparable outcomes between each year though, so the same (or just about) amount of students will get the same grade each year.
Most schools now teach exactly to the spec and focus heavily on exam technique so students are getting better at the exam without knowing more content than in previous years.

I just thought schools were teaching students differently and using various methods that would help the students achieve well, but yeah i agree.
Original post by Ja78975
Thanks, your absolutely right I wasn't really aware of TSR when I took GCSE's but It has kind of changed in terms of what people post on here, I mean have you see what people post? 😂😂 relationship advice, leaving certain religions etc.
mind you I was one of those students that achieved high grades in GCSE's and college so I can totally see where your coming from.

hehe, yes some strange stuff certainly posted on here.
Yes exactly, I'm predicted a set of high grades too and was attached to this site for the gcse material.
Yes exactly, I'm predicted a set of high grades too and was attached to this site for the gcse material.

hope it goes well! if your going to college I guarantee you'll enjoy it so much more, I can tell you about all the good things but your probably already aware of them 😊
Original post by Ja78975
hope it goes well! if your going to college I guarantee you'll enjoy it so much more, I can tell you about all the good things but your probably already aware of them 😊

Staying at the 6th form in my school, though after my week induction feel like I made the wrong choice. The main reason I decided to stay was for continuity and to be around teachers who knew me. Without sounding big headed and cocky the students who I'm on courses with are not the brightest and I feel this may hold me back as it did at some GCSE subjects due to low performing set of students taking the subject.
Reply 31
Do you guys think the edexcel grade boundaries for maths will be lower this year than it was for 2018
Reply 32
i really hope so. people found them papers very hard i think
Original post by Oljen
Do you guys think the edexcel grade boundaries for maths will be lower this year than it was for 2018
Reply 33
I really need a 6 for maths , but I only got 114 mar
Original post by redmac2
i really hope so. people found them papers very hard i think

I really need a 6 but I only got 114 marks. It was 109 last year I can’t afford for the grade boundaries to go up. What did you get?
Reply 34
that’ll defo be a 6. i really need a 6 but i messed it up and only got about 107 marks. i found the papers very difficult
Original post by Oljen
I really need a 6 for maths , but I only got 114 mar

I really need a 6 but I only got 114 marks. It was 109 last year I can’t afford for the grade boundaries to go up. What did you get?
Reply 35
Original post by redmac2
that’ll defo be a 6. i really need a 6 but i messed it up and only got about 107 marks. i found the papers very difficult

You’ll be good trust me , all the professional people have predicted the grade boundaries to be 105 , they’ve use various sources such as overall reactions , number of 5 markers and reception to base their predicted grades. I found the papers so hard , I wanted to get a 7 but that’s not happening but I’ll settle with a 6.
Reply 36
ahh okay thank you thats made me feel much better. really really hope for a 6. come to think of it i may have actually got around 110 marks
Original post by Oljen
You’ll be good trust me , all the professional people have predicted the grade boundaries to be 105 , they’ve use various sources such as overall reactions , number of 5 markers and reception to base their predicted grades. I found the papers so hard , I wanted to get a 7 but that’s not happening but I’ll settle with a 6.
Just remember:

U stands for unbelievably great, so good in fact that you were just to amazing to get any marks, well that's what I'll be thinking on results day to make myself feel better anyway.
I do all wjec for my exams. I sat unit one of all my sciences and unit 4 for Welsh last year.

We also do maths numeracy exams and I got an a

The grades I am hoping for:

Maths b- but I am not holding out much hope I nearly cried after the non calculator

English literature: a - got an a in the controlled assessments and in the omam and poetry exam ( I did it in January)

English language: a

Physics: b/a

French: to pass. We all found the exams too difficult and I nearly cried. Also loads of schools complained about the level of the exam being above gcse level.

German: b the German papers were also difficult but not as bad

Welsh: a* because I find Welsh really easy

Chemistry: a* I got an a* in unit 1 (year 10) and would like another one because I found this year easier and chemistry gave me a lot of crap in year 10. I am also taking it next year

Biology: a but would love an a*. I got an a in year 10, but am taking in next year so would love to get an a*

Geography: a* I always found geography really easy and it always came naturally to me. I was also the top of my class (there were two classes though) in terms of knowledge and test grades. I am also doing it in yr 12

I don't know why but I would love to have a*s at gcse in all the subjects I am taking next year
I think I will get these grades

English Lang 6
English Lit 6
Maths 6
Biology 6
Chemistry 5
Physics 7
Computer Science 5
History 5
Business 6
French 3

Latest