The Student Room Group

Messed up my AS exams

Hi , I was wondering if I could still get into medicine , I ended up getting a grade C in biology , a D in chemistry and a B in maths
I know these are terrible results however I have the chance to re do biology and chemistry in September , I don’t usually get grades like this . I was wondering if I could possibly get an AAA predicted if I re do them ? Feel absolutely hopeless
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethbegrhnhrn
Hi , I was wondering if I could still get into medicine , I ended up getting a grade C in biology , a D in chemistry and a B in maths
I know these are terrible results however I have the chance to re do biology and chemistry in September , I don’t usually get grades like this . I was wondering if I could possibly get an AAA predicted if I re do them ? Feel absolutely hopeless

Unlikely a school is going to give you an AAA predicted. Do you think you deserve one? Talk to them.
Majority of medical schools hate resits. Not all.
Your best bet is to get AAA and then take a gap to apply for 2021.
Reply 2

Anything is possible if you are willing to put the effort in. I would say the most important thing is to make sure you have a great personal statement so that you stand out from the crowd, really make the university want to pick you, I would strongly suggest spending the summer getting some relevant work experience, maybe volunteering and making sure you can fill your personal statement up. I remember many friends waffling on in their personal statement struggling to fill it up, the best applications were written by those who struggled to fit or couldn't fit everything they wanted to into their personal statement.

All of the courses I wanted to apply for were looking for AAA or AAB. My AS exams didn't go great however after talking to all of my teachers very nicely a was able to get predicted grades of BBB even though I'm not sure my teachers believed I could achieve those grades. I managed to get interviews and then offers from all of the universities I had applied for I believe this was down to my personal statement, me having loads to talk about at interview and showing strong interest in the subject.

When applying, universities will care more about you as a person at this stage and not your grades as there is almost a year to your exams and they know that those who put the effort in can change their grades!
There not official AS exams so they won’t know I’ve reset it’s an internal school exam
Original post by 999tigger
Unlikely a school is going to give you an AAA predicted. Do you think you deserve one? Talk to them.
Thanks , can I ask which unis you applied to ? x
Original post by Ezooner
Anything is possible if you are willing to put the effort in. I would say the most important thing is to make sure you have a great personal statement so that you stand out from the crowd, really make the university want to pick you, I would strongly suggest spending the summer getting some relevant work experience, maybe volunteering and making sure you can fill your personal statement up. I remember many friends waffling on in their personal statement struggling to fill it up, the best applications were written by those who struggled to fit or couldn't fit everything they wanted to into their personal statement.

All of the courses I wanted to apply for were looking for AAA or AAB. My AS exams didn't go great however after talking to all of my teachers very nicely a was able to get predicted grades of BBB even though I'm not sure my teachers believed I could achieve those grades. I managed to get interviews and then offers from all of the universities I had applied for I believe this was down to my personal statement, me having loads to talk about at interview and showing strong interest in the subject.

When applying, universities will care more about you as a person at this stage and not your grades as there is almost a year to your exams and they know that those who put the effort in can change their grades!
There not official AS exams so they won’t know I’ve reset it’s an internal school exam

Teachers will use your exam performance plus what they think of your ability when making their predicted grades.
Do yopu think you have shown enough potential and grades that AAA is a fair prediction and will teachers at your school think that?
Reply 6
Nottingham, UEA and Reading
Thanks , can I ask which unis you applied to ? x
just accept you aren't medicine calibre. a medicine degree is on a different level to AS biology. if you can't cope with AS bio how can you cope with a medicine degree? give up the pipe dream please
Reply 8

what if you self-studied AS exams, and were not happy with an AS grade but came into a sixth form with them (because you can go to sixth form with AS grades) bare in mind you did not have the same support as other students in a sixth form. Also, how could you speak to them if you want to redo them again?
Original post by HamzaD
what if you self-studied AS exams, and were not happy with an AS grade but came into a sixth form with them (because you can go to sixth form with AS grades) bare in mind you did not have the same support as other students in a sixth form. Also, how could you speak to them if you want to redo them again?

Are you doing UK A levels or international?

You are confusing me. Give me the full accurate details and then ask your question.
Reply 10
Uk A levels. I've self-studied AS exams and expecting a low grade for AS maths which I'm not happy with. I took a year out after GCSEs to deal with mental health issues and focus on myself with during AS exams . I'm feeling really better at the moment and I have decided to come into a sixth form when I give my AS results. I did not have the same support in terms of lessons,homework and revision material given to other students in sixth form, which is why I would like the maths teachers to give me a mock in September to prove to them I'm capable of getting at least an A or B?
Are you doing UK A levels or international?

You are confusing me. Give me the full accurate details and then ask your question.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by HamzaD
Uk A levels. I've self-studied AS exams and expecting a low grade for AS maths which I'm not happy with. I took a year out after GCSEs to deal with mental health issues and focus on myself with during AS exams . I'm feeling really better at the moment and I have decided to come into a sixth form when I give my AS results. I did not have the same support in terms of lessons,homework and revision material given to other students in sixth form, which is why I would like the maths teachers to give me a mock in September to prove to them I'm capable of getting at least an A or B?

Are you the OP or have you hijacked this thread?
You arent making a lot of sense.
What is it you want?
What course are you are aiming to do?
What do you think you can get?

I get you self taught AS.
You are now going back to school? Which year A level year 1 or A level year 2?
Reply 12
Want to go to A level year 2. I probably got A A C (maybe) or ABD (Likely) or BBD (idk) .
Are you the OP or have you hijacked this thread?
You arent making a lot of sense.
What is it you want?
What course are you are aiming to do?
What do you think you can get?

I get you self taught AS.
You are now going back to school? Which year A level year 1 or A level year 2?
Original post by HamzaD
Want to go to A level year 2. I probably got A A C (maybe) or ABD (Likely) or BBD (idk) .

Have you asked and have they accepted you? If they do fine and if they dont then not a lot you can do.
If yopu believe AS is dragging you down the start from year 12.
Reply 14
Yes there have accepted me but I'm waiting for my results. I'm hoping that they would allow me to redo a exam for maths as I'm certain I did not do well in the AS.
Have you asked and have they accepted you? If they do fine and if they dont then not a lot you can do.
If yopu believe AS is dragging you down the start from year 12.
Original post by HamzaD
Yes there have accepted me but I'm waiting for my results. I'm hoping that they would allow me to redo a exam for maths as I'm certain I did not do well in the AS.

Your English isnt great.

If I had the choice I would do it from year Y12 and not Y13.
Reply 16
* is not... be more formal.
Your English isnt great.

If I had the choice I would do it from year Y12 and not Y13.
Original post by HamzaD
* is not... be more formal.

You are missing the point , which is you are very difficult to understand. If I cant understand what it is you are talking about and what you want then I cant really offer any advice.

I have a partial picture of what is happening.
Perhaps someone else will be more suited towards getting an accurate picture of what has happened and what advice it is you want. I am non the wiser.

Have you asked if you can do it from Y12? If your self taught AS is in a mess it does not bode well for Y13, in which case you need to be strengthening your weak points before you start. You need someone to give you some honest grown up advice of where you are and what you need to do to maximise your chances of success. I was just answering another thread where someone had done poorly at A level, were not being allowed to continue with A level, so by their own initiative they found another school to take them and start at Y12 again. Maybe you need to start making some decisions for your own best interests.

Talk to national careers or maybe someone else can progress you more than I have been able to.

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/contact-us

Whoever you talk to you need to tell them whats happened, what you are concerned about and what you want advice on/ answers to.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
no I'm doing AS exams so I'm able to go to a sixth form for Year 13.
You are missing the point , which is you are very difficult to understand. If I cant understand what it is you are talking about and what you want then I cant really offer any advice.

I have a partial picture of what is happening.
Perhaps someone else will be more suited towards getting an accurate picture of what has happened and what advice it is you want. I am non the wiser.

Have you asked if you can do it from Y12? If your self taught AS is in a mess it does not bode well for Y13, in which case you need to be strengthening your weak points before you start. You need someone to give you some honest grown up advice of where you are and what you need to do to maximise your chances of success. I was just answering another thread where someone had done poorly at A level, were not being allowed to continue with A level, so by their own initiative they found another school to take them and start at Y12 again. Maybe you need to start making some decisions for your own best interests.

Talk to national careers or maybe someone else can progress you more than I have been able to.

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/contact-us

Whoever you talk to you need to tell them whats happened, what you are concerned about and what you want advice on/ answers to.
Original post by HamzaD
no I'm doing AS exams so I'm able to go to a sixth form for Year 13.

You need to find someone else to advise you.
All I can say is if I were in your position I would have sought out the opportunity to start in Y12 if my underlying self teaching of AS was weak, better that than mess up Y13. You are either not understanding the points ive raised or deliberately ignoring them, which makes it impossible to offer you any advice, hence you should talk to someone who can help you with whatever thing you are seeking advice on. It remains a mystery to me and I have asked you several times. I am just not seeing what you want? It shouldnt take multiple requests to get to that stage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending