The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do these 5 A-Levels?

I am currently in Y11 (having just finished my GCSEs) and I want to apply to Cambridge to study economics. I plan on taking Economics, Geography, Maths, Chemistry and a further A/AS level in Statistics. Is this advisable? I have considered doing further maths instead of geography (and dropping statistics) but I enjoy the subject far too much. Any advice welcome.
(edited 4 years ago)
To do economics at Cambridge, I’d advise doing Maths, Futher and Economics and if you want a fourth, do chemistry
how well qualified are you to answer this? Geog and Chem would be equally good i would reckon, as (human) Geog is much more relevant but with Chem being a better test of problem solving

OP, do further maths rather than just statistics which is not relevant. you will get plenty of stats within maths and further maths
Original post by benjiboy46
To do economics at Cambridge, I’d advise doing Maths, Futher and Economics and if you want a fourth, do chemistry
Reply 3
Hey there! I’ve just finished year 12 and I did Maths, Geography, French, and Chemistry and I’m going to apply to Geography at Cambridge in September. I started off with four a levels as I didn’t know which ones I wanted to continue with. I originally wanted to do Earth science, but then found my real passion was geography. Doing four a levels certainly hasn’t been easy this year. Mocks was really stressful, but I just got on with revision and continued it until the summer. I’m going to drop Maths now I’ve decided.

Cambridge really look for outside of the classroom academic interest, I’d say start off with four a levels of geography, maths, economics, and further maths or chemistry if you want to. Regular a level maths has statistics components in already. If you’re aiming for Cambridge, you’re much better doing three/ four and then pursuing extra academic interests relating to economics. This could be reading The Economist magazine articles, attending lectures at universities (Cambridge do a great Economics Masterclass, keep checking back for the dates), doing an economics based EPQ, or reading economics related books, create an economics society at your school etc.

Good luck for the start of year 12, make sure you attend many open days and economics events whenever you can, feel free to ask any more questions! 😄 Also get involved with the Royal Economic Society. Become a student member, enter their essay competitions, attend their evening lectures etc. This would be brilliant and then you find what aspect of economics interest you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Do not take five A Levels. Do. Not. Take. Five. A Levels.
No university is interested in 5 A levels. If you take 4 Cambridge might well offer on 4, but if you take 3 they will offer on 3 (if you are lucky enough to get an offer, that is)
Original post by D_1432
I am currently in Y11 (having just finished my GCSEs) and I want to apply to Cambridge to study economics. I plan on taking Economics, Geography, Maths, Chemistry and a further A/AS level in Statistics. Is this advisable? I have considered doing further maths instead of geography (and dropping statistics) but I enjoy the subject far too much. Any advice welcome.

No taking 5 A levels is foolish. I teach in a selective school and we don't allow anyone to take 5 even if they get all 9s/A*s.
Thank you! This has been really useful :smile:.
Original post by Deggs_14
Hey there! I’ve just finished year 12 and I did Maths, Geography, French, and Chemistry and I’m going to apply to Geography at Cambridge in September. I started off with four a levels as I didn’t know which ones I wanted to continue with. I originally wanted to do Earth science, but then found my real passion was geography. Doing four a levels certainly hasn’t been easy this year. Mocks was really stressful, but I just got on with revision and continued it until the summer. I’m going to drop Maths now I’ve decided.

Cambridge really look for outside of the classroom academic interest, I’d say start off with four a levels of geography, maths, economics, and further maths or chemistry if you want to. Regular a level maths has statistics components in already. If you’re aiming for Cambridge, you’re much better doing three/ four and then pursuing extra academic interests relating to economics. This could be reading The Economist magazine articles, attending lectures at universities (Cambridge do a great Economics Masterclass, keep checking back for the dates), doing an economics based EPQ, or reading economics related books, create an economics society at your school etc.

Good luck for the start of year 12, make sure you attend many open days and economics events whenever you can, feel free to ask any more questions! 😄 Also get involved with the Royal Economic Society. Become a student member, enter their essay competitions, attend their evening lectures etc. This would be brilliant and then you find what aspect of economics interest you.
It's the quality of your results that count, not the number of A Levels. For Economics at Cambridge, you need to achieve A*A*A, so do three subjects (four as a maximum) and concentrate on getting all A* predictions.

Find a college you want to apply to, read that college website, go to their open days . A lot of colleges have open days for Y12 students in September/October. Taylor your subjects around what your preferred colleges actually want from an applicant.

It’s certainly not too early to speak to the colleges, I have found that most, if not all, Cambridge admissions are happy to give advice to those at the end of Y11/beginning of 6th Form and arrange a visit if you can't make the open days.

If you're not sure about colleges yet, as long as you do Maths, take the other two or three subjects that you're most likely to get A*predictions/results.
Also, it's good to have at least one essay based subject, so don't do a combination like Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry.

EPQs are good and a lot of other universities are often willing to give a reduced offer if you have an A at EPQ. (Remember, it’s very hard to get into Cambridge, so you also need to consider what other universities like as well.)

If you're female, keep an eye on the Gonville and Cauis College website. Over the last few years, Gonville and Cauis have run a Woman in Economics day in September/October especially for Year 12 students.

Also, if you’re interested (and want to) look out for masterclasses and essay competitions. RES do a Young Economist of the Year competition that opens around March time. This gives you something beyond school study for you to talk about in your PS.
Reply 9
Taking 5 A levels is a death wish

Quick Reply

Latest