The Student Room Group

Uni help!!

I really can’t decide what course I want to do at uni. It’s between pharmacy and law. Is anyone doing these courses? What would you recommend?
Reply 1
If you're unsure what to do you can always just take a gap year and figure it out in that time, there's nothing worse than starting a degree then realising halfway through that you've begun to hate it.
Original post by AdamCor
If you're unsure what to do you can always just take a gap year and figure it out in that time, there's nothing worse than starting a degree then realising halfway through that you've begun to hate it.

Yeah that’s such a worry I have atm but I really don’t want to take a gap year. I’d prefer to finish school as quickly as possible. I’m just worried that I’m not going to like the course I choose
Have you been to open days? You still have time to visit universities and see what students think. These two degrees are very different from each other so you should think about the career you'd like to go into, and look at reviews from Which?University and UCAS, as well as look at previous threads already made on TSR that have a lot of replies to make an informed decision.

Personally, I'm not studying Law yet but I'm going into it having done work experience and enjoying the work I've done with law firms. It's a fantastic gateway degree to do a lot of careers, not only Law so that in itself is a huge bonus but if you are looking towards the science route Law will be no use.
Reply 4
Original post by Ethan Murphy
I really can’t decide what course I want to do at uni. It’s between pharmacy and law. Is anyone doing these courses? What would you recommend?

Those 2 really are polar opposite degrees. What A-levels did you do? If they were a mix of Science and Law related, which did you enjoy doing more?

I think within your heart you truly know. Pharmacy is really great, someone I know works in that sector and loves their job. At the same time I know someone else who works in the Law sector (a firm) and loves their job too.

Honestly, if you’re really unsure, you could always do Pharmacy and then do a Masters in Law or vice versa (if possible). It’s only an extra year. So worst case scenario you have that. But I know you wanna finish quickly so maybe getting some type of work experience at these 2 places or merely observing/researching you can tell which you like best. Good luck :smile:
Original post by businessbria
Have you been to open days? You still have time to visit universities and see what students think. These two degrees are very different from each other so you should think about the career you'd like to go into, and look at reviews from Which?University and UCAS, as well as look at previous threads already made on TSR that have a lot of replies to make an informed decision.

Personally, I'm not studying Law yet but I'm going into it having done work experience and enjoying the work I've done with law firms. It's a fantastic gateway degree to do a lot of careers, not only Law so that in itself is a huge bonus but if you are looking towards the science route Law will be no use.

Yeah I’ve been to a few of the open days with school and I’m so unsure about where to go too! I’m doing maths, chemistry and French so pharmacy would be the more suitable option probably but I could still do law. I’ve done work experience in a law firm and I’m trying to get one in a pharmacy
Original post by Laya_
Those 2 really are polar opposite degrees. What A-levels did you do? If they were a mix of Science and Law related, which did you enjoy doing more?

I think within your heart you truly know. Pharmacy is really great, someone I know works in that sector and loves their job. At the same time I know someone else who works in the Law sector (a firm) and loves their job too.

Honestly, if you’re really unsure, you could always do Pharmacy and then do a Masters in Law or vice versa (if possible). It’s only an extra year. So worst case scenario you have that. But I know you wanna finish quickly so maybe getting some type of work experience at these 2 places or merely observing/researching you can tell which you like best. Good luck :smile:

Yeah they’re so unlike eachother ahaha! I’m doing maths, chemistry and French and love all of them! I think science would be the safe route but at the same time I’m not sure what to do. I would deffo do a masters if I had to, I just need to make up my mind first!
Yeah I’ve been to a few of the open days with school and I’m so unsure about where to go too! I’m doing maths, chemistry and French so pharmacy would be the more suitable option probably but I could still do law. I’ve done work experience in a law firm and I’m trying to get one in a pharmacy

Try to secure a work placement in pharmacy ASAP in time for university applications, that would be a really great idea and would probably help you decide. With law, there are no specific subjects that they look for but if you do well in the A Levels you're taking currently you'll still be considered as law really is about academics after all, humanities or STEM subjects.
Try to secure a work placement in pharmacy ASAP in time for university applications, that would be a really great idea and would probably help you decide. With law, there are no specific subjects that they look for but if you do well in the A Levels you're taking currently you'll still be considered as law really is about academics after all, humanities or STEM subjects.

Yeah I was on the phone to a pharmacist today and he said he’d get back to me. It’s so stressful because we’ve to hand our personal statements in in 3 weeks and I’ve no idea what I even want to do yet...
Yeah I was on the phone to a pharmacist today and he said he’d get back to me. It’s so stressful because we’ve to hand our personal statements in in 3 weeks and I’ve no idea what I even want to do yet...

I'm sure your school will be understanding and will give you time. You do officially have until January to submit, it just depends on the universities you want to go to? Oxbridge applications usually are in by the end of September but with any other RG or non-RG is okay to submit later.
Reply 10
Yeah they’re so unlike eachother ahaha! I’m doing maths, chemistry and French and love all of them! I think science would be the safe route but at the same time I’m not sure what to do. I would deffo do a masters if I had to, I just need to make up my mind first!

I hope you find your passion & route.
Wishing you all the best!
I'm sure your school will be understanding and will give you time. You do officially have until January to submit, it just depends on the universities you want to go to? Oxbridge applications usually are in by the end of September but with any other RG or non-RG is okay to submit later.

Yeah I deffo don’t think I’ll not be wanting to go to oxbridge I think it’d be far too posh for me (stereotypical I know). Just such a hard decision to make!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah I deffo don’t think I’ll not be wanting to go to oxbridge I think it’d be far too posh for me (stereotypical I know). Just such a hard decision to make!!

You'll definitely find your fit somewhere, good luck!
There's no point in finishing school in the set amount of time when you end up hating the course. Some people I know took 3-5 years before they decided what to study and it hasn't changed anything for them.
Yeah that’s such a worry I have atm but I really don’t want to take a gap year. I’d prefer to finish school as quickly as possible. I’m just worried that I’m not going to like the course I choose
You need to read about the course material and related stuff and find what interests you more. look at jobs and stuff and possibly speak to people that can help you.

Quick Reply

Latest