The Student Room Group

Exeter or Sussex?

To study conservation biology and ecology / ecology, conservation and environment. (For Exeter it'll be the Penryn campus therefore.) Barely any difference between the courses as far as I can see.

I had made my mind up, putting Exeter as first and Sussex as insurance, but now I'm having second thoughts and can't make up my mind.

Not interested in the clubbing scene, do want to go on nice walks, enjoy the wildlife, preferably get a job in photography, have a fairly diverse bunch of friends/classmates. Also want to be able to take some modules from outside my course area, but Penryn being a small campus they don't have anything I'm interested in. (Unless anyone knows if we could take modules from Falmouth?? Doubt it.)

The above points more to Sussex I think, but I really liked the Exeter campus itself - "clicked" with me - and the Sussex campus seems a bit like an isolated bubble.

Heeeelllllpppppp... and thank you <3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kinyonga
To study conservation biology and ecology / ecology, conservation and environment. (For Exeter it'll be the Penryn campus therefore.) Barely any difference between the courses as far as I can see.

I had made my mind up, putting Exeter as first and Sussex as insurance, but now I'm having second thoughts and can't make up my mind.

Not interested in the clubbing scene, do want to go on nice walks, enjoy the wildlife, preferably get a job in photography, have a fairly diverse bunch of friends/classmates. Also want to be able to take some modules from outside my course area, but Penryn being a small campus they don't have anything I'm interested in. (Unless anyone knows if we could take modules from Falmouth?? Doubt it.)

The above points more to Sussex I think, but I really liked the Exeter campus itself - "clicked" with me - and the Sussex campus seems a bit like an isolated bubble.

I would have thought Penryn was more of an isolated bubble than the Sussex campus? They're such different environnments - I would go to Sussex personally as you will get a wider module choice and a more diverse student body. Plus Brighton does have some nice walks, such as along the south downs
Reply 2
Sussex is great, and there is lots of photography opportunities here also. The various module choices are really good here too, I studied Mandarin for a while :smile:

Reply 3
Original post by harrysbar
I would have thought Penryn was more of an isolated bubble than the Sussex campus? They're such different environnments - I would go to Sussex personally as you will get a wider module choice and a more diverse student body. Plus Brighton does have some nice walks, such as along the south downs

Penryn is isolated in the sense that the campus is in a small village near other small villages in the Cornish countryside, which is perfect. But Sussex is isolated in the sense that, at least from what I saw, it's as if the university is its own little village and there's nothing else, i.e. no ordinary life, surrounding it.
Given your likes I would go for Penryn. The buses go from there to Falmouth Redruth and Truro. Loads of beaches in Cornwall. As far diverse student body I doubt that is true. Exeter share the Penryn campus with Falmouth university which is one of the leading arts universities so that will give you loads of diversity. The big problem with Penryn is it is hours from nearly everywhere and that will be your major consideration as well as module choice. I dont know if it applies to Penryn but some subjects allow a module from a different subject to be taken in the 2nd and 3rd years so that is worth looking into. There are subjects like Maths, English and Geography there as well.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
There are subjects like Maths, English and Geography there as well.

That's the issue, unfortunately. I run a mile from anything maths related, geography is too similar to what I'm studying, and English is a bit bleh. I contacted the uni and they said they could bring in Arabic as a language during my second year, so if I end up there I'll definitely pester them about that, but the other languages they have don't appeal to me that much and I do really want to do a language. Other modules I'd like to do are philosophy, photography, film, anything Africa or Middle East related...
Sussex.
Brighton is a wonderful student town - 2 Unis - buzzing, lots to do. Sussex campus is small and has a lovely village atmosphere. By the sea, 50 mins on the train to Victoria.

(Falmouth - where? Great if you dont want a student-experience, or you want the feeling of being on a sub-campus with no facilities. And if you already realise that the course isnt what you actually want....)

Phone both Unis and then UCAS to switch your choices - do it BEFORE Results Day,
(edited 4 years ago)
Penryn is isolated in the sense that the campus is in a small village near other small villages in the Cornish countryside, which is perfect. But Sussex is isolated in the sense that, at least from what I saw, it's as if the university is its own little village and there's nothing else, i.e. no ordinary life, surrounding it.

It is typical for campus unis to be like their own little village, but it's only a short bus or train journey into central Brighton - and don't forget you would be living in Brighton itself after first year.

I still think that with the better module choice and more diverse student population, Sussex has more going for you but I can tell that there's just something you love about Penryn despite Sussex being better on paper.
Reply 8
I still think that with the better module choice and more diverse student population, Sussex has more going for you but I can tell that there's just something you love about Penryn despite Sussex being better on paper.

That about sums it up. *sigh* I'm going to England this evening - live in France atm - and was going to go down to Penryn to have a look at accommodation... I'll add in a trip to Sussex I think.
As mentioned above - remember that this is for 3 years and for the other two you wont be living on campus.

Worth also looking at the Open Day films on You Tube. Campuses at this time of year are empty - so even if you do visit both it'll be a bit misleading.
That about sums it up. *sigh* I'm going to England this evening - live in France atm - and was going to go down to Penryn to have a look at accommodation... I'll add in a trip to Sussex I think.

That would be a good idea.....have a look round the city of Brighton as well as the campus, it's got some great aspects to it like the "laines" with all their eclectic shops and cafes and the walk along the promenade by the beach. I know the campus itself is a bit ugly but the city isn't. Though it will be super busy with day trippers due to our current hot weather in England so if you find you prefer the peace of Penryn.....decision made!
Reply 11
There are busses that go from Sussex to the pier, and that can take 20ish minutes. It is definitely rather isolated as surrounded by a national park but there are trains that take 9 minutes from campus straight to central Brighton.. depends on your preference I suppose! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by returnmigrant
As mentioned above - remember that this is for 3 years and for the other two you wont be living on campus.

Worth also looking at the Open Day films on You Tube. Campuses at this time of year are empty - so even if you do visit both it'll be a bit misleading.

Actually I unfortunately qualify as an EU student so can't get a full maintenance loan, so won't be able to afford to live on campus this year anyway. I'll have a look at the films as you suggest, thanks.

That would be a good idea.....have a look round the city of Brighton as well as the campus, it's got some great aspects to it like the "laines" with all their eclectic shops and cafes and the walk along the promenade by the beach. I know the campus itself is a bit ugly but the city isn't. Though it will be super busy with day trippers due to our current hot weather in England so if you find you prefer the peace of Penryn.....decision made!

Yeah, I know Brighton a bit, and Sussex well (used to live there). While I do appreciate that Brighton is very nice as far as cities go, I'm just not a city person >.< this is such a pain in the neck! I think the only thing I can do to make this clearer is visit, so I'll let you all know how that goes and if I'm still conflicted afterwards haha.
Yeah, I know Brighton a bit, and Sussex well (used to live there). While I do appreciate that Brighton is very nice as far as cities go, I'm just not a city person >.< this is such a pain in the neck! I think the only thing I can do to make this clearer is visit, so I'll let you all know how that goes and if I'm still conflicted afterwards haha.

If you're just not a city person, I can see why you might prefer the peace and quiet of Penryn. Yes, do let us know what you decide to do after your visit, and maybe phone Penryn Admissions to discuss the module choice issue and see what they can suggest.

They're both good unis so you can't go wrong really!
If your not a city person and want somewhere smaller then Penryn would probably suit you better dependent on sorting out your options, You will probably be better off staying in Falmouth than Penryn. It is a bigger place with more to do and has some beaches nearby. Penryn isnt for everyone due to its size and distance from other places but it does seem it would suit you. I would certainly ask whether you could do an option from Falmouth university (I doubt it is allowed) as they do Photography and Film which might suit you.
https://www.visitcornwall.com/beaches/lifeguards-seasonal/south-coast/falmouth/gyllyngvase-beach
https://www.visitcornwall.com/beaches/good-beach-guide/south-coast/falmouth/maenporth-beach
(edited 4 years ago)
That's the issue, unfortunately. I run a mile from anything maths related, geography is too similar to what I'm studying, and English is a bit bleh. I contacted the uni and they said they could bring in Arabic as a language during my second year, so if I end up there I'll definitely pester them about that, but the other languages they have don't appeal to me that much and I do really want to do a language. Other modules I'd like to do are philosophy, photography, film, anything Africa or Middle East related...

Stick with Exeter - they are miles ahead in the field you are studying. Brighton combines the worst of living near the sea [personal knowledge] and Cornwall has the best.

The city is 'ugly' in other ways - not a nice place to live at all. {Friends there and lived in East Sussex]
Original post by Muttley79
The city is 'ugly' in other ways - not a nice place to live at all. {Friends there and lived in East Sussex]

My dad lived there for over 10 years and I used to like visiting him there and still do like to visit the place so it's all subjective.....plenty of people do consider Brighton an attractive city, including myself. Granted it has a bit of a problem with drugs and homelessness, but its not alone in that and nowhere's perfect
My dad lived there for over 10 years and I used to like visiting him there and still do like to visit the place so it's all subjective.....plenty of people do consider Brighton an attractive city, including myself. Granted it has a bit of a problem with drugs and homelessness, but its not alone in that and nowhere's perfect

It has a massive drug problem - along with al the issues around other criminal activities ... Foreign language schools also give issues with local young people. Living there and visiting are different and certain parts of Brighton are to be avoided. {Police information]
Original post by Muttley79
Living there and visiting are different and certain parts of Brighton are to be avoided. {Police information]

Certain parts of TSR are to be avoided but it doesn't stop us liking it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending