The Student Room Group

Conservative leadership thread: Boris Johnson chosen as next UK Prime Minister

Either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt will become the new Conservative leader on Tuesday as the result of the contest to succeed Theresa May is announced.

The outcome of the ballot of about 160,000 Tory members will be revealed at just before midday in London.

The victor will officially become prime minister on Wednesday.

Mr Johnson, a former mayor of London, is seen as the clear favourite although a number of senior figures have said they will not serve under him.

Mrs May, who is standing down after a revolt by Conservative MPs over her Brexit policy, will chair her last cabinet meeting on Tuesday morning.

She will officially tender her resignation to the Queen on Wednesday afternoon after taking part in her final Prime Minister's Questions.

Her successor will take office shortly afterwards, following an audience at Buckingham Palace.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49078864

Today is the day we find out who takes over from Theresa May as leader of the Conservative party, and thus, who will become the next UK PM tomorrow. Any discussions on the days events can go here :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Result expected at 11.45, Stewart has confirmed he’ll resign if Boris wins.
Oh boy 8 minutes!

Lets see whose going to mess the country up next!
So I think Boris has won.

Fair play to Hunt, it’s a hard game making yourself look worse than Boris Johnson but somehow he managed it 👏🏻
Reply 4
4 mins to go :smile:
I have a friend whose uncle was at Eton with Bojo. His grandmother used to flirt with Boris' Father.

It's a small world, it seems.
urgh hurry up!!!
The real question is who is going to be in his cabinet?

I’m guessing

Sajid - chancellor
Truss- Business
Mogg- treasury secretary

And then maybe

Patel- Foreign Sec
Hancock - Remain in health
Gove- Home Secretary
Goldsmith- environment
Raab - Brexit
Lights are down in the conference centre, they're watching a video.
IT's HaBbENIng
omg!
They're on the stage.....
its so tense lmao
Reply 15
boris.jpg

shock horror
And... Bojo has it!! Congrats everyone!
Lol
oof boris won
Boris elected, no surprise there.

Quick Reply