The Student Room Group

Where is Gareth Bale (aka the golfer) going?

The big money says https://youtu.be/RbM2F-cfN0A

What about the smart money?

Scroll to see replies

If Real are so sure he's no good and he wants to stay in sunny Spain helping teams win things, sell him to Barcelona or Atlético and let's see what happens.
This illustrates perfectly the folly of these enormous contracted salaries. Bale is guaranteed to be paid £600,000 a week for the next three years. Real Madrid's problem is to find a means to pay that £95 million (or make up the difference if any new club pays him less) while depriving itself of his services.

The only clubs with a realistic chance of bridging that gap for a 30-year old appear to be Chinese.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
This illustrates perfectly the folly of these enormous contracted salaries. Bale is guaranteed to be paid £600,000 a week for the next three years. Real Madrid's problem is to find a means to pay that £95 million (or make up the difference if any new club pays him less) while depriving itself of his services.

The only clubs with a realistic chance of bridging that gap for a 30-year old appear to be Chinese.

And the greed of players if he does move to China solely because they're the only one that can pay his wages.

It's like it never crosses some players minds that they can move elsewhere and still make hundreds of thousands. A WEEK. By the time they're millionaires, wage should be a non-factor. They should be deciding based on where they want to play or who for, not whether it pays enough to get by. But we'll see what he does before condemning him.
Reply 4
It would be the most expensive Chinese takeaway in the history of the World

Original post by ozzyoscy
And the greed of players if he does move to China solely because they're the only one that can pay his wages.

It's like it never crosses some players minds that they can move elsewhere and still make hundreds of thousands. A WEEK. By the time they're millionaires, wage should be a non-factor. They should be deciding based on where they want to play or who for, not whether it pays enough to get by. But we'll see what he does before condemning him.

Who knows what his motivation is? He may be content to bide his time, save up all the pennies, hone his golfing skills and become a mega-philanthopist at the end of his contract.

If he just wants the money he can stay where he is, but it seems he will not play a great deal.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
I think you have to understand Welsh people.
Maybe he wants to be the saviour of Welsh farming if we brexit is slogan could be hay bale.
Who knows what his motivation is? He may be content to bide his time, save up all the pennies, hone his golfing skills and become a mega-philanthopist at the end of his contract.

If he just wants the money he can stay where he is, but it seems he will not play a great deal.

Why would anyone turn down or say no to money they are contractually entitled to receive? Real Madrid can make him leave, they just have to pay-out his contract.
Original post by Zerforax
Why would anyone turn down or say no to money they are contractually entitled to receive? Real Madrid can make him leave, they just have to pay-out his contract.

To play football where they want seeing as money is no object?

You word that like he's turning down money, period. Not moving to a new club who would also pay him money. He's only contractually entitled to receive that money if he stays employed by the contractor for the term specified.
To play football where they want seeing as money is no object?

You word that like he's turning down money, period. Not moving to a new club who would also pay him money. He's only contractually entitled to receive that money if he stays employed by the contractor for the term specified.

He can play football in the park if he really feels like it. Just because we, as fans, are obsessed about football and our clubs, it doesn't mean all footballers have to be - many do see it as a profession to make as much money as possible (in a relatively short career - peak earnings can be as short as 3 years or as long as 20 years max in the extreme situations).

Not sure what you mean by the bit in bold but Bale is entitled to the pay set out in his contract. He has another 3 years left so as long as he shows up at the club for training on the day-to-day/regular basis, then Real Madrid have to continue paying him (whether he's in the squad or playing). He may not get all the bonuses in his contract but Real Madrid can't decide to stop paying him.

He's currently reportedly on over 400k a week, which means over £20mil a year. Why should he give up that £60mil that Real Madrid contractually agreed to pay him?
He can play football in the park if he really feels like it. Just because we, as fans, are obsessed about football and our clubs, it doesn't mean all footballers have to be - many do see it as a profession to make as much money as possible (in a relatively short career - peak earnings can be as short as 3 years or as long as 20 years max in the extreme situations).

Not sure what you mean by the bit in bold but Bale is entitled to the pay set out in his contract. He has another 3 years left so as long as he shows up at the club for training on the day-to-day/regular basis, then Real Madrid have to continue paying him (whether he's in the squad or playing). He may not get all the bonuses in his contract but Real Madrid can't decide to stop paying him.

He's currently reportedly on over 400k a week, which means over £20mil a year. Why should he give up that £60mil that Real Madrid contractually agreed to pay him?

It makes sense that you're not sure what was meant as you seem to have read something different to what I wrote. We're in agreement here, but you're talking about a different subject.

Perhaps rather than ranting and going off on a tangent, you could've just... asked?
It makes sense that you're not sure what was meant as you seem to have read something different to what I wrote. We're in agreement here, but you're talking about a different subject.

Perhaps rather than ranting and going off on a tangent, you could've just... asked?

Maybe instead of trying to be condescending, you could've just explained what you actually meant in your initial incoherent post. :rolleyes:

You are employed in your chosen occupation, which can only last a relatively small amount of time as it depends on your physical prowess (speed, freedom from injury, health) to the extent that most careers are over in their mid thirties. You are 30 years old and have a contract with a foolish employer that guarantees you to be paid £600,000 a week for the next three years. You have a higher than average history of injuries.

Your employer does not like you and seeks to transfer you to another employer who will pay you, say, half the salary (as you are getting on and have a history of injury). Do you (a) accept this as it enables you to play, even though you may sustain a career-ending injury a week after the transfer or (b) hang on at the existing employer in order to preserve the current high salary?

Tough choice, eh? I don't think so.
Maybe instead of trying to be condescending, you could've just explained what you actually meant in your initial incoherent post. :rolleyes:

Again, stop trying to posture and be an internet warrior and try asking if you don't understand something. Your posturing doesn't make you look better.

You are employed in your chosen occupation, which can only last a relatively small amount of time as it depends on your physical prowess (speed, freedom from injury, health) to the extent that most careers are over in their mid thirties. You are 30 years old and have a contract with a foolish employer that guarantees you to be paid £600,000 a week for the next three years. You have a higher than average history of injuries.

Your employer does not like you and seeks to transfer you to another employer who will pay you, say, half the salary (as you are getting on and have a history of injury). Do you (a) accept this as it enables you to play, even though you may sustain a career-ending injury a week after the transfer or (b) hang on at the existing employer in order to preserve the current high salary?

Tough choice, eh? I don't think so.

Yes it's an easy choice. As I said at the start, as I'm already financially secure for the rest of my life, I choose the club I like, rather than who pays more.
Again, stop trying to posture and be an internet warrior and try asking if you don't understand something. Your posturing doesn't make you look better.

Yes it's an easy choice. As I said at the start, as I'm already financially secure for the rest of my life, I choose the club I like, rather than who pays more.

I don't understand what your problem is to be honest. Feels like you're being obtuse for the sake of it.
I don't understand what your problem is to be honest. Feels like you're being obtuse for the sake of it.

You keep admitting you don't understand and don't know what things mean, yet your reaction is to be angry or accusing. In fact you say it's I who is obtuse when you're literally defining yourself as obtuse.

Just asking normally doesn't make you stupid. You're as imperfect as me and everyone else. It won't harm you to drop the internet arguer stereotype and just open yourself up. I won't bite.
You keep admitting you don't understand and don't know what things mean, yet your reaction is to be angry or accusing. In fact you say it's I who is obtuse when you're literally defining yourself as obtuse.

Just asking normally doesn't make you stupid. You're as imperfect as me and everyone else. It won't harm you to drop the internet arguer stereotype and just open yourself up. I won't bite.

Well I actually said in terms of my understand:
1) I don't understand your statement "He's only contractually entitled to receive that money if he stays employed by the contractor for the term specified" (but what I really meant is I think your statement is wrong - I was just trying to be polite).
2) I don't understand what your problem with me/my posting is.

But you seem to like to read what you think you want to read, rather than what I've posted.

My tone only became aggressive after you went off on a tangent (by saying I was going on a tangent and ranting) and then started calling me a keyboard warrior. I think I'm quite affable generally :cool:

I find it all a bit strange since in my view I responded to your initial post but you've decided you'd rather discuss my understand (or lack thereof) rather than the Bale situation. Not sure if you want to discuss something or you're just enjoying trying to goad me.

But don't worry, I'll let you have the last word on the matter if it makes you feel better :h:

The latest on Bale seems to be he might reject the China move along with Real Madrid rejecting the £20mil fee for the transfer

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/gareth-bale-transfer-latest-real-16642737

So looks like both Bale and Real Madrid care more about the money than football and individual circumstances.
So looks like both Bale and Real Madrid care more about the money than football and individual circumstances.

It really isn't very clear why anyone should realistically expect him to take a deal worh less than half his current one, and for a year shorter time. Offering him the deal he is now on was a stupid move by Real Madrid, They are now saddled with a player they do not want who is a millstone around their neck in terms of improving the squad. They should give him a free transfer, but even that will not help if he cannot match the salary elsewhere and sticks to his guns. He may end up being very unpopular and unhappy in Spain, but at least he will have huge amounts of money and it will only last for three years, which gives him time to get his golf handicap down and plan how to spend it.
(edited 4 years ago)
It really isn't very clear why anyone should realistically expect him to take a deal worh less than half his current one, and for a year shorter time. Offering him the deal he is now on was a stupid move by Real Madrid, They are now saddled with a player they do not want who is a millstone around their neck in terms of improving the squad. They should give him a free transfer, but even that will not help if he cannot match the salary elsewhere and sticks to his guns. He may end up being very unpopular and unhappy in Spain, but at least he will have huge amounts of money and it will only last for three years, which gives him time to get his golf handicap down and plan how to spend it.

Yes I agree. He's also 30 now and has won plenty of club honours (CL in particular) so it's not like he will feel the need to play elsewhere to try and win trophies for his career haul.

Yep Real Madrid made a terrible financial decision in hindsight so they will have to pay for it. Not sure why Bale should have to.

What has surprised me a little is how Zidane/Real Madrid have acted during this little saga. Usually you don't make it so obvious that you are desperate to move a player on so that you have some bargaining position. After Zidane's comments, what leverage do Real Madrid have?

Maybe it was one of Zidane's conditions for his return as manager? I can't see why else the club would otherwise be prepared to take such a big financial hit. You'd imagine most managers would be told to suck it up and use Bale for another year or two then cut their losses.

Maybe they are trying to treat Bale badly to see if he will blink first and offer to reduce his demands/terms. If Real Madrid are lucky they will be able to net zero (use any transfer fee to pay off a portion of Bale's wages).
Well I actually said in terms of my understand:
1) I don't understand your statement "He's only contractually entitled to receive that money if he stays employed by the contractor for the term specified" (but what I really meant is I think your statement is wrong - I was just trying to be polite).
2) I don't understand what your problem with me/my posting is.

But you seem to like to read what you think you want to read, rather than what I've posted.

My tone only became aggressive after you went off on a tangent (by saying I was going on a tangent and ranting) and then started calling me a keyboard warrior. I think I'm quite affable generally :cool:

I find it all a bit strange since in my view I responded to your initial post but you've decided you'd rather discuss my understand (or lack thereof) rather than the Bale situation. Not sure if you want to discuss something or you're just enjoying trying to goad me.

But don't worry, I'll let you have the last word on the matter if it makes you feel better :h:

The latest on Bale seems to be he might reject the China move along with Real Madrid rejecting the £20mil fee for the transfer

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/gareth-bale-transfer-latest-real-16642737

Woah...

Your reaction to the suggestion you just ask like a normal person, rather than rant and posture, is to hurl paragraphs at me.

I'll skip that essay of doom. You only waste your own time with your internet arguer immaturity.

Quick Reply

Latest