The Student Room Group

Trying to Go to University again but worried about finances

I'm a two-time Uni drop out, first time I was in a dumb relationship and the girl I was with at the time threated to dump me if I went to far away for uni and ended up on a course that was underfunded and after a month on the course dropped out and cancelled everything before it became finalized.

The second time I went to university I got into a lot of life drama that sent me into a server depressive spiral to which after having to repeat the second year twice I just didn't bother re-enrolling and walked away.

Fast forwards present-day about 6 or 7 years later and I am in a much better place mentally and my one biggest regret is that I messed up university. So naturally, I want to go back and prove to myself I can do it and also get my life back on track to where I want to be...problem is I used up 3 years already and I'm unsure whether or not the one year from the first course counts considering i was only on that course for a month and gave everything back to Student finance. If it does count then that's 4 years in total.

So the question is can i still get funding through student finance or would i need to look for any alternatives...if any, so i can pay my way for the course im applying for?
Hi Ceefer, was your 3 years of previous study on a full time or part time course? Will your new course be full time or part time? Could you also confirm the full course name including the name of the university and do you have professional evidence to cover these 3 years such as medical evidence about the mental health or if you are able to get any evidence?
Thanks, Isaac.
Reply 2
It was full time and i was there Sept 2010 to July 2013

The new course I am applying for is Video Game Development - BSc (Hons) at Birmingham City University which is a two year course and full time.

I don't think I do, I never liked the idea of going on anti-depression meds and just kind of let myself struggle with it, I was in my early 20's and thought I could cope... I was so very wrong. I did talk to the University counsellor about it on multiple associations and I also was seeing a Psychiatrist at the time shortly but that was for other reasons which did add to my depression, though my depression was never the main focus with them so I don't think it was ever noted. I could try contacting the University I previously went to to see if they still have any records on me with the counsellor but that was over 7 or 8 years ago now.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Also, I'm not after a maintenance grant, I should be fine without that as I have a part-time job and I would be living close to the place of study already. My main problem is affording the tuition fee itself.
Hi,

Based on this, you'd need to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons in order to be awarded an Tuition Fees. To find out more about this, please use this link: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/student-finance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Warm regards, Graeme
Original post by Ceefer
Also, I'm not after a maintenance grant, I should be fine without that as I have a part-time job and I would be living close to the place of study already. My main problem is affording the tuition fee itself.
Reply 5
This maybe a silly question but do I need to send a fresh application or do I just send the letter with the customer number I have for my previous loan with the information of the course I'm applying for?
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi,

Based on this, you'd need to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons in order to be awarded an Tuition Fees. To find out more about this, please use this link: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/student-finance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Warm regards, Graeme
Hi Ceefer, you will need to make a fresh application to apply for your new course.
Thanks, Isaac.
Original post by Ceefer
This maybe a silly question but do I need to send a fresh application or do I just send the letter with the customer number I have for my previous loan with the information of the course I'm applying for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending