The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

How lenient is Aston Uni Design Engineering?

My firm is University of Birmingham but I’m pretty sure I won’t get the grades for that (AAB). My offer from Aston is BBB but I might get BBC depending on those freakin maths grade boundaries. How lenient do you think they’ll be with this course?
I'm currently talking to a uni about my (EU) results, on about email No.4 and phone call No.3, still not received an actual answer, discussing over a few percent, and they claim not to have received mails that I sent recently (to several people at the college)

Some nice universities ARE advertising a slightly lower tariff in Clearing, I would've thought that your insurance might be flexible, certainly all of us hope so, seeking to find and secure ourselves a place on that single 15th August day, if you haven't succeeded in negotiating a place before, you certainly can on the single day, and the few days around and afterwards. I have participated in two previous Clearing days, I can see that this will be the third. They do work!

BBB and BBC are basically the same grade, to me. Not quite sure how 'market forces' are working this year
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I haven’t looked at clearing yet. I really should start soon but I keep putting it off

Original post by LuigiMario
I'm currently talking to a uni about my (EU) results, on about email No.4 and phone call No.3, still not received an actual answer, discussing over a few percent, and they claim not to have received mails that I sent recently (to several people at the college)

Some nice universities ARE advertising a slightly lower tariff in Clearing, I would've thought that your insurance might be flexible, certainly all of us hope so, seeking to find and secure ourselves a place on that single 15th August day, if you haven't succeeded in negotiating a place before, you certainly can on the single day, and the few days around and afterwards. I have participated in two previous Clearing days, I can see that this will be the third. They do work!

BBB and BBC are basically the same grade, to me. Not quite sure how 'market forces' are working this year
Original post by Kam7274
My firm is University of Birmingham but I’m pretty sure I won’t get the grades for that (AAB). My offer from Aston is BBB but I might get BBC depending on those freakin maths grade boundaries. How lenient do you think they’ll be with this course?

I just looked up the course at Aston and see that their requirements for the course are normally in the range BBB-BBC. Therefore, although they made you an offer of BBB, I think it is very likely they would still accept you with BBC if it came to it, especially if they are in Clearing. I would phone their Admissions to discuss your concerns about the Maths and see what they say.
Reply 4
Thanks that makes me feel so much better! Yh I’ll phone them up closer to results day right now I’m just gonna forget about Alevels for the next 3 weeks
Original post by harrysbar
I just looked up the course at Aston and see that their requirements for the course are normally in the range BBB-BBC. Therefore, although they made you an offer of BBB, I think it is very likely they would still accept you with BBC if it came to it, especially if they are in Clearing. I would phone their Admissions to discuss your concerns about the Maths and see what they say.
Original post by Kam7274

Hi Kam,

Like others have said above, there is indeed some flexibility in our entry requirements. However this fluctuates every year, due to factors such as: Number of applicants for a course, their individual grades, course funding, staff, teaching space availability etc.

Most grade boundaries do usually drop by one or two grades though in clearing. The only area where we are less flexible is if your course has specific additional GCSE requirements. Best of luck for results day, obviously we aren’t your first choice, but we would love to have you join us in September.

Bests
Josh
Reply 6
Thanks, hopefully I do get a place. Can I go through clearing into Aston Uni but for a different engineering degree like say, Mechanical engineering?
You could try talking pseudonymously to Aston. Phone their Clearing helpline, but don't give your name or UCAS number at present, see how they feel about that, about the different courses that might be available.

If you wish to practise first, and sometimes its a good idea to do a test call, then phone up University of Brum' and ask them a few similar questions. That will give you a feel of how you could talk better to Aston, on your second call. You could say "Practise makes perfect", or you could go ultimate and say "Prior preparation prevents p!ss poor performance, probably"

Keep notes of your calls, so that you remember who you talked to and what points you discussed, write 'clearing' bullet points that you'd like to ask on a sheet of A4 first (grades required in Clearing/Adjustment for subject A or B or C?, accommodation available for clearing students?, cost of a bus pass?, do you have a train station in your campus? etc etc)
Original post by Kam7274
Thanks, hopefully I do get a place. Can I go through clearing into Aston Uni but for a different engineering degree like say, Mechanical engineering?

Hi,

If we are your insurance choice you would first need to call up to get released to go into clearing, then you would be able to apply for a different course through clearing. This would mean there is likely to be a period of time where you don’t have a place confirmed.

More commonly it’s better to request an internal course transfer after you’ve started if the courses aren’t to dissimilar, if you’ve applied for another engineering course it’s likely to be an easier switch, however if you’ve applied for something in a different school of study such as business it may be a harder switch.

I would strongly advise you to talk to our admissions team if this is the route you wish to take as they will be able to give you the best advice: [email protected]

Hope that helps
Josh
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

If we are your insurance choice you would first need to call up to get released to go into clearing, then you would be able to apply for a different course through clearing. This would mean there is likely to be a period of time where you don’t have a place confirmed.

More commonly it’s better to request an internal course transfer after you’ve started if the courses aren’t to dissimilar, if you’ve applied for another engineering course it’s likely to be an easier switch, however if you’ve applied for something in a different school of study such as business it may be a harder switch.

I would strongly advise you to talk to our admissions team if this is the route you wish to take as they will be able to give you the best advice: [email protected]

Hope that helps
Josh

That's very useful advice about the internal course transfers, just wanted to point out that for the first time this year, UCAS applicants can self release into Clearing once they have an unconditional offer, rather than having to call up their Firm uni to be released. But obviously they need to give it proper thought and be as sure as they can be that they have an alternative and better choice lined up first :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest