The Student Room Group

US Universities

What A Levels are required/desired at top US universities for finance degree or is your application purely based on your SAT results?
Cheers
Josh
Reply 1
It's mainly a holistic approach from both your essays, a-level and gcse results/predictions, references, SAT/ACT results and a whole bunch of other things.
Reply 2
So what a levels would you recommend to give me the best chance of doing a finance degree at a top uni
Original post by hoixw
It's mainly a holistic approach from both your essays, a-level and gcse results/predictions, references, SAT/ACT results and a whole bunch of other things.
I'd definitely suggest maths, that's the most important. Then maybe Further Maths if you're able, Economics, then maybe something like History/Politics/English/Computer Science/Any science (something you're interested in that has a good reputation)
Original post by Josh2002
So what a levels would you recommend to give me the best chance of doing a finance degree at a top uni
Reply 4
Original post by Josh2002

Maths, FM and econ would probably be your best bet. If you want to do 4 go for whatever you want in the next one - any other science or humanity will fit right in.
For a finance degree, Maths, FM and Economics, as indicated in the answers above, would be a good combination for A-Levels. It might be a good idea to do a fourth one (maybe from the sciences or history, depending on your interests) but it is not necessary.

The SAT is not the only important thing, but it is very very important nevertheless. So I would concentrate on that as much as the A-levels. Ideally you should aim for a score above 1500 to be a strong candidate for very top universities, but a score above is 1400 is generally okay. You could also take the ACT, so it might be a good idea to do mock tests of both and see which one you feel more comfortable with.

Another important thing would be to take 2 or 3 of the SAT IIs (SAT Subject tests). Some unis require them, so you should check for specific requirements. These results are also important, and for finance I would definitely recommend taking Math II as one of them.

Also do not neglect your essays and extra curricular activities, US unis take almost everything into account. It would be a good idea to have some extra-curriculars related to finance.
If OP is applying to unis that state the SAT subject Tests are "recommended" or "optional" there is no point in doing them, imo they are a waste of time. I did Literature and Math 2, didn't send off my scores and still got accepted
Original post by Geodesic
For a finance degree, Maths, FM and Economics, as indicated in the answers above, would be a good combination for A-Levels. It might be a good idea to do a fourth one (maybe from the sciences or history, depending on your interests) but it is not necessary.

The SAT is not the only important thing, but it is very very important nevertheless. So I would concentrate on that as much as the A-levels. Ideally you should aim for a score above 1500 to be a strong candidate for very top universities, but a score above is 1400 is generally okay. You could also take the ACT, so it might be a good idea to do mock tests of both and see which one you feel more comfortable with.

Another important thing would be to take 2 or 3 of the SAT IIs (SAT Subject tests). Some unis require them, so you should check for specific requirements. These results are also important, and for finance I would definitely recommend taking Math II as one of them.

Also do not neglect your essays and extra curricular activities, US unis take almost everything into account. It would be a good idea to have some extra-curriculars related to finance.
Well I would say that depends, if it is “recommended” it is a good idea to submit scores, if they are good of course. Although it is possible to get accepted without submitting your scores, as in your case, a 760-800 would enhance your application. So I would not say that they are a waste of time, especially if you are applying to very competitive universities.
Original post by theholychilli
If OP is applying to unis that state the SAT subject Tests are "recommended" or "optional" there is no point in doing them, imo they are a waste of time. I did Literature and Math 2, didn't send off my scores and still got accepted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending