The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Psychology Undergraduate Course: My UofG Bad Bad Bad experience.

Long story, short:

-Very bad organized course.
-Very poor tutoring (uninformed Tutors)
-Psychology is very popular course generally. So, UofG is taking advantage of this fact. The university will accept as many as it can and then the majority of psychology students will be kicked out of the course at the end of the second year. The university will then push those kicked out students from psychology to follow one of the option courses as the main course (university will make you an offer at this point) so the university won't lose the money from those students.**** ATTENTION - Call every university before you accept any offer and ask handbook of the course and see if they have any condition in order to proceed to honor years (3rd and 4th).

If you like to take the time to read my story (this was my appeal letter and obviously I got rejected)*** ATTENTION - Always communicate by email, even if you go at their desks, email them after and make them state everything you said in a written form (email).

This is my story:

My University of Glasgow Bad Experience.

I chose to study psychology at University of Glasgow because it was ranked best in Scotland and 6th in UK according to the Complete University Guide 2013. I was looking for Universities at all over Scotland and I ended up applying at three Universities in Edinburgh and one at Glasgow. Every course that I was looking did not have any condition to progression to Honors (at least online). When I took the decision to move to Glasgow I did not know that the University had a very strict condition for the progression into Honors. The condition is that you have to gain a total average of B2 in Psychology at the second year. If you manage to gain a B2 then you are welcome to proceed to third and fourth year of the course. The problem is that of course nobody will inform the student about that unless the student is already studying in Glasgow. Online on the University of Glasgow website there is only this information http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/psychology/#/programmestructure “If you meet the requirements for progression to Honours (years 3 and 4) you will take courses in cognition…” this is where I had to make a phone call and ask the university what do they mean by saying “if you meet the requirement...”. Unfortunately, I did not make that phone call because to be honest I believed that the requirements were to pass my exams. Furthermore, I did not put so much effort on the program structure online even though I had the basic idea; for example, in which areas of psychology is the course focusing. Moreover, in Strathclyde University and in Edinburgh University and many other universities in Scotland they do not have a condition like that, at least online.

When I started my first academic year at September 2014 I had to understand how the university system works. First of all, I did not know that I had to do subjects enrollment. I was looking everyday my timetable online but there was nothing scheduled. Around 10th of September I went to student services to find out when my lectures will begin and they informed me that I had to do myself the subjects enrolment. The university staff redirected me to see a person in a building located at the University’s Gardens who would help me to enroll on my modules. Unfortunately, I do not remember her name but she can be found in the university’s archive as the person who did my enrollment on September 2014. This was the first person with who I discussed which subjects should I choose. Finally, I picked up two subjects from Arts; Celtic civilization and Philosophy.

When I finished with my enrollment I visited my official study advisor for the first academic year, Dr Heather Woods. She was the second advisor with who I discussed my subject choices. I booked an appointment with her because I needed someone to check my timetable and explain me how things work at my course and if she had any advice that could be helpful, I was more than welcome to hear it. We started our meeting by the very basics. She asked me generally about my life, how I ended up in Glasgow and how things are up until now in the city. As we were chatting I told her about my dyslexia and ADHD and she advised me to register to disability services, which was something that I had already scheduled to do. After our meeting, we exchanged couple of emails where I declare to Dr Heather Woods that if I do not do psychology I will quit the university.
In the second semester I asked for an appointment with her again. I just needed to have a chat with her and take any advice she had to offer. This was the second time that I met my second advisor. It was remarkable that she remembered me and she knew exactly my chosen subjects and my grades by heart. Back then my grade average was C1, she knew my profile and she managed to make clear that if I want to proceed to honors I had to increase my grades; I had to gain a total average of B2. I told her that I cope with dyslexia and ADHD, something that she already knew, and unfortunately for a person who copes with study difficulties, studies a course in a foreign language and works 16 hours per week, is very difficult for this person to gain a total average of B2. I promised her that I will give the best of me but I already knew that I will not get an average of B2 no matter how much I was about to try. So I asked her “what if I won’t manage to go to honors, is the university going to kick me out?” She replied that I have the alternative to go to a designated degree (3-year degree, non-honors). I asked her if I can apply to postgraduate courses with this degree and she said yes. Why Dr Heather Woods did not say to me that I have to pick a science subject if I want to be able to do the designated degree?

When I started the second year I dropped philosophy and Celtic civilization (the two subjects that I had chosen) and I picked sociology and Digital Media and Information Studies. At that point I received an email from Stephen Marritt:
“Dear Student,
I am one of the advisers of studies in the new advising system, and we are checking through curricula just now to make sure people are fully enrolled and what they have enrolled in will allow them to progress to next year if they get the required grades. At the moment the system flags your enrolment up, you've only enrolled for 100 credits this year, and you need 120; and you also need at least 80 of this 120 to be at level 2, and at the moment you only have 60. Normally too, we recommend to Psych students they have an alternate route to honours just in case they don't meet the grade requirements for honours - so we'd normally recommend taking both courses of a subject at level 2 this year. Can we help you with enrolling or course choice at all?
Best wishes
Steve Marritt”.

I emailed him back and I booked an appointment. I went to the university gardens and I did get help from Carol E Smith. This was the third advisor I had a chat about my chosen subjects. We did the enrollment as it should be, I chose again Philosophy and I kept Digital Media and Information Studies. Carol E Smith enrolled me in both semesters of second year at Digital Media and Information Studies even though I needed only one semester. I emailed her back asking her if I need DSIM on the second semester and she replied to me that indeed I do not need to be enrolled in this subject for second semester and she removed it from my timetable.

October 2015 I approached Dr Margaret Martin via email. Margaret Martin according to the course documentation handles entry to honors and she can provide further information if required. So I emailed her asking for a meeting to inform me about my alternatives, if I do not manage to go into honors. She replied to me that a lecture is scheduled to take place on March 2016 but if I would like to see her then she would be available after a week from that moment. I told to myself that the university’s stuff knows better than me when is the proper time to give a lecture about the alternatives that students have if they do not manage to proceed to honors. So I continued my semesters’ assignments and studying (as you might know first semester at University of Glasgow is very short -middle September to early December- so I had to be very careful how I spend my time). If I wanted to be the best, I had to study all the time. So I chose to wait for the scheduled lecture.

After Christmas, late January, I was on campus and I had a chat with a colleague of mine who told me that she did her application to UCAS again in case she wouldn’t manage to proceed into honors so she could transfer herself to another university. I realized that I missed that chance because the deadline was 15th of January. As I was searching information about my alternatives I came across at the first email that university sent me at the 2nd of September 2014 (almost two years ago). On this long email there was a part which was saying that:

“All students doing a degree in the College of Arts have to do at least 120 credits from courses taught by Schools in the College of Arts over the course of their first two years of study. This regulation has been in place since the beginning of session 2013-14. Psychology is not a subject actually contained within the College of Arts - it belongs to the College of Science and Engineering - and it uses up 100 credits over years 1 and 2, 40 credits at level 1 and 60 at level 2. So over years 1 and 2, doing the expected 120 credits per session, you need in total:
100 credits Psychology
120 credits of Arts
20 credits in anything, but a Science subject is recommended to allow progress to the general degree Psychological Studies, if you are not accepted for Honours in Psychology, since it is a Science degree, and to enter it you must have done 120 credits of Science over years 1 and 2.”

This email was sent to me on the 2nd of September 2014, when I did not even know how to do my enrolment. When I came across to that email again, on January 2016, I realized that I haven’t chose anything from science so I will not be eligible for the Psychological Studies (three years course). I immediately approached Margaret Martin. She was the fourth advisor I was meeting until that moment. I emailed her exactly these words:
Dear Margaret Martin,

I would like to come and see you whenever you are available.
I think I messed up my studies with the subjects that I have chosen until now.
I think I’m not able to go into general degree psychological studies, I’m not going into honors.
I am super anxious and worried and I need some information about alternatives if I do not go into
honors.

Thank you for your time.
Kind regards,
H”

She accepted me at her office and she advised me by saying that I cannot go to the general degree Psychological Studies because I belong to the school of arts, I belong to the School of Arts and I the designated degree (3-year degree, non-honors) belongs to the School of Science. She said to me that I have to focus on my studying and manage to gain a B2 but even if I won’t manage to gain a B2, I still have the opportunity to do appeal year, by appealing when the time will come. I followed her advice and I left. The semester passed away and I did not manage to take the total average of B2 (as I was expected).

I approached her via email and I told her that I had difficulties and I am coping with dyslexia that is why I did not manage to gain the B2 and I was asking to see her. She said if I would like her to do take the main points of that email and do my appeal. I did not have any idea what an appeal is. However, I told her “you could do that, but still I would like to see you if that is alright”. She booked me an appointment and she took the main points of my email and she did my first appeal. By the time I visited her I had already been rejected for my first appeal. I am not aware what she wrote on my appeal. I asked her explain me what is the appeal and if she could advise me for my academic career. She said forget the psychology and accept philosophy offer (I had an offer to do singe honors in philosophy). But how can I forget psychology? I left behind everything, my whole life to follow my dream and she was just telling me to forget psychology? I said no. I applied for psychology why I cannot do the general degree Psychological Studies? Then she searched her screen and she informed me that I am missing 20 credits in science and I cannot transfer to School of Science without these credits. I asked her why we, the students, were not aware of the 20 credits in science this year and she told me “You know the school told me to send the students an email which will say that the students have to pick a science subject in case they do not manage to gain the total average of B2, but I didn’t do it because it would be insulating, it would be like I mean that you have already failed to go into honors! You know what I mean?” Of course I do not have this in a written form I have only all the emails where you cannot see her wonderful, rational point. But how I know that the school of psychology told Dr Margaret Martin that she had to send an email that I never received? At that point she she advised me to see one of the chief advisors in arts, Professor Costas Panayotakis, something that for some reason Ms. Margaret Martin never recommended in the past. I met with him to advise me for my final appeal to the school of Psychology and generally to advise me about my academic career. Professor Panayotakis pointed out several websites about how to appeal against an academic decision and he was insisting that I have to go into philosophy. I made again myself clear that I applied for psychology. He told me what I will present bellow which he also sent it to me via email:

“In the conversation which we had in my Chief Advising office on 23 June I had mentioned to you that in session 2016-2017 you could opt to do a curriculum that would eventually qualify you for a three-year non-Honors designated degree, and that as part of this curriculum you could do 20 credits in Science (for example, 20 credits of Exploring the Cosmos) which, if you pass successfully, would give you the necessary 120 credits of Science courses (currently you have only 100) so as then to apply to transfer to the College of Science and Engineering in session 2017-2018 to complete your studies with a BSc in Psychological Studies. This is the route that I had suggested to you. If you wish to follow this route, then you need to inform my colleagues in writing ([email protected]) that you wish to finish next year with a designated non-Honors degree. Then you will be given an appointment with a Senior Adviser, who will sit down with you and construct a plan of what courses exactly you need to do (including the crucial 20 credits in Science). The good thing about this scenario is that it would give you the opportunity to finish with a three-year designated degree if you wish, but also, if all goes well with your grades, it would allow you not to graduate but apply for transfer to the College of Science and Engineering to complete your undergraduate studies with a BSc. I hope that this has been clear and helpful.”

After my meeting with Professor Panayotakis I did my appeal. The first part of my appeal is presented below:

“There have been several reasons that resulted to my current academic standing. Perhaps the most important one is that I cope with life-long disabilities; Medium Mild Attention Deficit Hyperactivity, Mild Dyslexia and Time Management Problems. These conditions require special care, accommodations, understanding and help from my educational and occupational environment. According to Professor George Th. Pavlidis (who certifies my study difficulties) the previously mentioned diagnosis leads to the following recommendations:

1. I should use a computer for writing my coursework, to get the benefit for the computer’s speller.

2. I should be given extended deadlines for the submission of my coursework, to compensate for my inability to adequately utilize my time and for my difficulty to convert my thoughts into writing.

3. I should be given 30% extra time for the normal allotted time on written exams, as well as for listening, to compensate to the time lost because of my Medium Mild ADHD and the difficulties stemming from my Mild Dyslexia.

4. I should be given rest breaks, to be able to keep an adequate level of concertation.

5. My spelling and syntactic errors should not be taking into account, because they result from my Mild Dyslexia.

6. I should be allowed to take Oral exams in a separate quiet room, away from external distractions.

7. The most appropriate forms of the question of the examination (when appropriate) are multiple choice, close type or gap filling, to compensate for the difficulty in transferring my thoughts into the written form.

The University of Glasgow disability service is aware of my study difficulties, as I have enrolled in the disability services since October 2014. Ms. Claire Rattray, my advisor, has kept a record of my diagnoses. However, from the recommendations mentioned above I have met only the two of them; the first and a variation of the third (since I have been given 15 extra minutes for every hour which is 25% present of an hour instead of 18 minutes which is the 30% of an hour). I have asked many times extended deadlines for the submission of my coursework, but Ms. Clair Rattray denied. She instead offered to provide me with a proof reader; Miss Jenny Scott. I accepted the offer, which at the begging sounded ideal, however that did not help me at all, because Miss J. Scott asked to proof-read my coursework six days before each submission deadline. At the end, half of the times I did not manage to be on time on my psychology assignments and for that I received a penalty. My good cause (study difficulties) was not taken into account. Additionally, the extra time given to me, was only for the final examination, while throughout the semester I took quizzes in the labs every fifteen days; these quizzes were the 10% of my total grade. To conclude I believe the University of Glasgow failed to take account of my medical circumstances.”

Of course I have provided all the documentations needed and of course I got rejected. They said to me:

“I am writing to confirm the outcome, under the College’s preliminary disposal procedures, of your appeal against the decision to refuse you to progress to Psychology Honours. The grounds for your appeal are relevant medical or other adverse personal circumstances which for good reason have not previously been presented.

The College Appeals Committee carefully considered the papers submitted to it and resolved to dismiss your appeal. Whilst the Committee was sympathetic to your medical and psychological problems, no good reason was found as to why you had not presented these circumstances earlier within a Good Cause application…”

In other words, university rejected my appeal because I did not present earlier my psychological and health issues. Even though I made clear on the appeal that the reason that I did not present them earlier was the stigma associated with mind and body illnesses. Furthermore, my grounds for appeal were two not one. First of all, it was the failure of my institution to take into account medical or other adverse personal circumstances that I had already provided (study difficulties) and secondly there were relevant medical or other adverse personal circumstances which for good reason have not previously been presented. However, I am thankful that the College Appeals Committee carefully considered the papers submitted by me. It seems to me that there was not carefully consideration at all. I have already regretted that I exposed my inner issues to strangers and if embarrassment of stigma is not a good cause for the committee then fair enough but I cannot do or say anything more. Fair enough is an ironic expression because for me it is not fair at all.

After my appeal rejection, even though I provided so many good causes, I approached Professor Panayotakis for guidance. I was asking him to help me go into three years non honor degree in Psychology. He told me that I cannot do it in the academic year 2016/2017 and he read again the email that he had sent to me, especially that point “…so as then to apply to transfer to the College of Science and Engineering in session 2017-2018 to complete your studies with a BSc in Psychological Studies.”. And I asked why I have to miss a year? On my last chat with Professor Panayotakis he said to me “You did not make clear that you are interested only in psychology, now you made that clear to us.” I said to him that this is the dream of my life and I have made that clear to every advisor I had spoken with and also the university has my personal statement before I even come to Glasgow. He said to me that only the admission saw my personal statement and not the rest of the university’s staff. Bellow you can read the personal statement that I delivered together with my application and the rest documentations needed for my application on UCAS.

“My first encounter with psychology took place during my adolescence. At that time, like many teenagers, I began to discover my inner world, as well as the dynamics which take place in a friendship, a relationship, between family members, between peers, or even amidst the members of a society. Subsequently, an experience drawn from within my close family circle brought about questions concerning both physical and habit-forming psychological dependence. I therefore took an avid interest in the discipline of psychology, and more specifically in the branches of behavioral and social psychology, who prioritize the study of personality types. Hence, I also became interested in the branches of ethology and behaviorism, who focalize on the study of animal behavior, both in natural conditions and laboratory settings.

Having worked in the restoration field for seven years, I have had the opportunity of coming across a multiple range of personality and temperament types. What are the prerequisites and the foundations which, in an entanglement of factors, account for the type of emotional, cognitive or behavioral response of a certain subject? What differentiates a normal response from a pathological one? And what can be considered as the border area between these two concepts? What drives a person’s behavior and acts? How did a subject come to adopt specific response patterns in various situations? It is amazing how all human beings strike one as having been born with the same physiological attributes, but are eventually unique both physiologically and psychologically.

Considering the previous interrogations, with a clear insistence on the notion of personality, I became fervently interested in theatre. Taking part in an amateur theatrical group from 2006 to 2009 was one of my most cherished and most enriching life experiences. It enabled me, through a form of art which demands self-knowledge, a capacity to adapt oneself but also empathy, to discover an important spread of personality traits and qualities. Moreover, with the aim of further investigating the subject with the approach of human and social sciences, I studied Theology at the Aristotelion University in Thessaloniki, Greece, and graduated in 2012. Nevertheless, I consider myself to be more of a historian specialized in the field of religion than a theologist per se.

For the past year, I have explored the discipline of psychology through the study of flagship works and research articles in the branches of clinical, social, abnormal, cognitive, behavioral, and differential psychology, as well as in the field of psychoanalysis. I decided to put forward an application in your university, with the strong belief that your academic program provides its students with the necessary theoretical knowledge, as well as with the required skills, methods and tools, that lead to a bright academic and professional career.

How if I applied for psychology it is not clear that this is what I want to do?

I wonder why the website of the Psychology course does not inform clearly the future students about the strict condition of a score average of B2 and it just says in a general basis “If you meet the requirements to proceed?

I also wonder why my official advisor Professor Heather Woods did not make clear to me about the 20 credits I needed for science? Even though, she knew I was interested in following that course.

I finally wonder why Dr Margaret Martin when I asked her to enroll me in a science course, on 2nd of February 2016, instead of helping me she misinformed me that I am not able to get into the designated psychology degree (3-year degree, non-honors)?

Was it unfamiliarity with her subject? Was it ignorance? Or was it something else, that I cannot and I do not want to imagine?

The University of Glasgow is inappropriate for students with study difficulties. I only gained embarrassment, not help. Furthermore, the University of Glasgow is unjust; I am not allowed to study what I had applied for. Furthermore, they give me no choice but applying to Psychological Studies (a conversion degree) which costs 7.700 pounds in order to gain the accreditation from British Psychology Society. This makes no point, why I did not chose to anywhere else in UK and graduate a course that I would have applied for, in three years instead of four.

Because of the reasons above, I should institute a process in law against University of Glasgow. However, because I consider myself part of University of Glasgow I will skip this option for the moment. Nevertheless, I have an obligation to protect the future student community by making them know my story. For that reason, I will publicize this bad University of Glasgow experience and will share everywhere online the disappointment that I have up until now.

I hope no other student to go through what I been through. As far as it concerns University of Glasgow, I hope my letter to consider as a feedback for improvement;

let the students know what they need to know on time.

UofG please train your advisors because they misinform students and this is extremely bad.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Hera Athens
Long story, short:

-Very bad organized course.
-Very poor tutoring (uninformed Tutors)
-Psychology is very popular course generally. So, UofG is taking advantage of this fact. The university will accept as many as it can and then the majority of psychology students will be kicked out of the course at the end of the second year. The university will then push those kicked out students from psychology to follow one of the option courses as the main course (university will make you an offer at this point) so the university won't lose the money from those students.**** ATTENTION - Call every university before you accept any offer and ask handbook of the course and see if they have any condition in order to proceed to honor years (3rd and 4th).

If you like to take the time to read my story (this was my appeal letter and obviously I got rejected)*** ATTENTION - Always communicate by email, even if you go at their desks, email them after and make them state everything you said in a written form (email).

This is my story:

My University of Glasgow Bad Experience.

I chose to study psychology at University of Glasgow because it was ranked best in Scotland and 6th in UK according to the Complete University Guide 2013. I was looking for Universities at all over Scotland and I ended up applying at three Universities in Edinburgh and one at Glasgow. Every course that I was looking did not have any condition to progression to Honors (at least online). When I took the decision to move to Glasgow I did not know that the University had a very strict condition for the progression into Honors. The condition is that you have to gain a total average of B2 in Psychology at the second year. If you manage to gain a B2 then you are welcome to proceed to third and fourth year of the course. The problem is that of course nobody will inform the student about that unless the student is already studying in Glasgow. Online on the University of Glasgow website there is only this information http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/psychology/#/programmestructure “If you meet the requirements for progression to Honours (years 3 and 4) you will take courses in cognition…” this is where I had to make a phone call and ask the university what do they mean by saying “if you meet the requirement...”. Unfortunately, I did not make that phone call because to be honest I believed that the requirements were to pass my exams. Furthermore, I did not put so much effort on the program structure online even though I had the basic idea; for example, in which areas of psychology is the course focusing. Moreover, in Strathclyde University and in Edinburgh University and many other universities in Scotland they do not have a condition like that, at least online.

When I started my first academic year at September 2014 I had to understand how the university system works. First of all, I did not know that I had to do subjects enrollment. I was looking everyday my timetable online but there was nothing scheduled. Around 10th of September I went to student services to find out when my lectures will begin and they informed me that I had to do myself the subjects enrolment. The university staff redirected me to see a person in a building located at the University’s Gardens who would help me to enroll on my modules. Unfortunately, I do not remember her name but she can be found in the university’s archive as the person who did my enrollment on September 2014. This was the first person with who I discussed which subjects should I choose. Finally, I picked up two subjects from Arts; Celtic civilization and Philosophy.

When I finished with my enrollment I visited my official study advisor for the first academic year, Dr Heather Woods. She was the second advisor with who I discussed my subject choices. I booked an appointment with her because I needed someone to check my timetable and explain me how things work at my course and if she had any advice that could be helpful, I was more than welcome to hear it. We started our meeting by the very basics. She asked me generally about my life, how I ended up in Glasgow and how things are up until now in the city. As we were chatting I told her about my dyslexia and ADHD and she advised me to register to disability services, which was something that I had already scheduled to do. After our meeting, we exchanged couple of emails where I declare to Dr Heather Woods that if I do not do psychology I will quit the university.
In the second semester I asked for an appointment with her again. I just needed to have a chat with her and take any advice she had to offer. This was the second time that I met my second advisor. It was remarkable that she remembered me and she knew exactly my chosen subjects and my grades by heart. Back then my grade average was C1, she knew my profile and she managed to make clear that if I want to proceed to honors I had to increase my grades; I had to gain a total average of B2. I told her that I cope with dyslexia and ADHD, something that she already knew, and unfortunately for a person who copes with study difficulties, studies a course in a foreign language and works 16 hours per week, is very difficult for this person to gain a total average of B2. I promised her that I will give the best of me but I already knew that I will not get an average of B2 no matter how much I was about to try. So I asked her “what if I won’t manage to go to honors, is the university going to kick me out?” She replied that I have the alternative to go to a designated degree (3-year degree, non-honors). I asked her if I can apply to postgraduate courses with this degree and she said yes. Why Dr Heather Woods did not say to me that I have to pick a science subject if I want to be able to do the designated degree?

When I started the second year I dropped philosophy and Celtic civilization (the two subjects that I had chosen) and I picked sociology and Digital Media and Information Studies. At that point I received an email from Stephen Marritt:
“Dear Panagiota-Ira,
I am one of the advisers of studies in the new advising system, and we are checking through curricula just now to make sure people are fully enrolled and what they have enrolled in will allow them to progress to next year if they get the required grades. At the moment the system flags your enrolment up, you've only enrolled for 100 credits this year, and you need 120; and you also need at least 80 of this 120 to be at level 2, and at the moment you only have 60. Normally too, we recommend to Psych students they have an alternate route to honours just in case they don't meet the grade requirements for honours - so we'd normally recommend taking both courses of a subject at level 2 this year. Can we help you with enrolling or course choice at all?
Best wishes
Steve Marritt”.

I emailed him back and I booked an appointment. I went to the university gardens and I did get help from Carol E Smith. This was the third advisor I had a chat about my chosen subjects. We did the enrollment as it should be, I chose again Philosophy and I kept Digital Media and Information Studies. Carol E Smith enrolled me in both semesters of second year at Digital Media and Information Studies even though I needed only one semester. I emailed her back asking her if I need DSIM on the second semester and she replied to me that indeed I do not need to be enrolled in this subject for second semester and she removed it from my timetable.

October 2015 I approached Dr Margaret Martin via email. Margaret Martin according to the course documentation handles entry to honors and she can provide further information if required. So I emailed her asking for a meeting to inform me about my alternatives, if I do not manage to go into honors. She replied to me that a lecture is scheduled to take place on March 2016 but if I would like to see her then she would be available after a week from that moment. I told to myself that the university’s stuff knows better than me when is the proper time to give a lecture about the alternatives that students have if they do not manage to proceed to honors. So I continued my semesters’ assignments and studying (as you might know first semester at University of Glasgow is very short -middle September to early December- so I had to be very careful how I spend my time). If I wanted to be the best, I had to study all the time. So I chose to wait for the scheduled lecture.

After Christmas, late January, I was on campus and I had a chat with a colleague of mine who told me that she did her application to UCAS again in case she wouldn’t manage to proceed into honors so she could transfer herself to another university. I realized that I missed that chance because the deadline was 15th of January. As I was searching information about my alternatives I came across at the first email that university sent me at the 2nd of September 2014 (almost two years ago). On this long email there was a part which was saying that:

“All students doing a degree in the College of Arts have to do at least 120 credits from courses taught by Schools in the College of Arts over the course of their first two years of study. This regulation has been in place since the beginning of session 2013-14. Psychology is not a subject actually contained within the College of Arts - it belongs to the College of Science and Engineering - and it uses up 100 credits over years 1 and 2, 40 credits at level 1 and 60 at level 2. So over years 1 and 2, doing the expected 120 credits per session, you need in total:
100 credits Psychology
120 credits of Arts
20 credits in anything, but a Science subject is recommended to allow progress to the general degree Psychological Studies, if you are not accepted for Honours in Psychology, since it is a Science degree, and to enter it you must have done 120 credits of Science over years 1 and 2.”

This email was sent to me on the 2nd of September 2014, when I did not even know how to do my enrolment. When I came across to that email again, on January 2016, I realized that I haven’t chose anything from science so I will not be eligible for the Psychological Studies (three years course). I immediately approached Margaret Martin. She was the fourth advisor I was meeting until that moment. I emailed her exactly these words:
Dear Margaret Martin,

I would like to come and see you whenever you are available.
I think I messed up my studies with the subjects that I have chosen until now.
I think I’m not able to go into general degree psychological studies, I’m not going into honors.
I am super anxious and worried and I need some information about alternatives if I do not go into
honors.

Thank you for your time.
Kind regards,
Ira”

She accepted me at her office and she advised me by saying that I cannot go to the general degree Psychological Studies because I belong to the school of arts, I belong to the School of Arts and I the designated degree (3-year degree, non-honors) belongs to the School of Science. She said to me that I have to focus on my studying and manage to gain a B2 but even if I won’t manage to gain a B2, I still have the opportunity to do appeal year, by appealing when the time will come. I followed her advice and I left. The semester passed away and I did not manage to take the total average of B2 (as I was expected).

I approached her via email and I told her that I had difficulties and I am coping with dyslexia that is why I did not manage to gain the B2 and I was asking to see her. She said if I would like her to do take the main points of that email and do my appeal. I did not have any idea what an appeal is. However, I told her “you could do that, but still I would like to see you if that is alright”. She booked me an appointment and she took the main points of my email and she did my first appeal. By the time I visited her I had already been rejected for my first appeal. I am not aware what she wrote on my appeal. I asked her explain me what is the appeal and if she could advise me for my academic career. She said forget the psychology and accept philosophy offer (I had an offer to do singe honors in philosophy). But how can I forget psychology? I left behind everything, my whole life to follow my dream and she was just telling me to forget psychology? I said no. I applied for psychology why I cannot do the general degree Psychological Studies? Then she searched her screen and she informed me that I am missing 20 credits in science and I cannot transfer to School of Science without these credits. I asked her why we, the students, were not aware of the 20 credits in science this year and she told me “You know the school told me to send the students an email which will say that the students have to pick a science subject in case they do not manage to gain the total average of B2, but I didn’t do it because it would be insulating, it would be like I mean that you have already failed to go into honors! You know what I mean?” Of course I do not have this in a written form I have only all the emails where you cannot see her wonderful, rational point. But how I know that the school of psychology told Dr Margaret Martin that she had to send an email that I never received? At that point she she advised me to see one of the chief advisors in arts, Professor Costas Panayotakis, something that for some reason Ms. Margaret Martin never recommended in the past. I met with him to advise me for my final appeal to the school of Psychology and generally to advise me about my academic career. Professor Panayotakis pointed out several websites about how to appeal against an academic decision and he was insisting that I have to go into philosophy. I made again myself clear that I applied for psychology. He told me what I will present bellow which he also sent it to me via email:

“In the conversation which we had in my Chief Advising office on 23 June I had mentioned to you that in session 2016-2017 you could opt to do a curriculum that would eventually qualify you for a three-year non-Honors designated degree, and that as part of this curriculum you could do 20 credits in Science (for example, 20 credits of Exploring the Cosmos) which, if you pass successfully, would give you the necessary 120 credits of Science courses (currently you have only 100) so as then to apply to transfer to the College of Science and Engineering in session 2017-2018 to complete your studies with a BSc in Psychological Studies. This is the route that I had suggested to you. If you wish to follow this route, then you need to inform my colleagues in writing ([email protected]) that you wish to finish next year with a designated non-Honors degree. Then you will be given an appointment with a Senior Adviser, who will sit down with you and construct a plan of what courses exactly you need to do (including the crucial 20 credits in Science). The good thing about this scenario is that it would give you the opportunity to finish with a three-year designated degree if you wish, but also, if all goes well with your grades, it would allow you not to graduate but apply for transfer to the College of Science and Engineering to complete your undergraduate studies with a BSc. I hope that this has been clear and helpful.”

After my meeting with Professor Panayotakis I did my appeal. The first part of my appeal is presented below:

“There have been several reasons that resulted to my current academic standing. Perhaps the most important one is that I cope with life-long disabilities; Medium Mild Attention Deficit Hyperactivity, Mild Dyslexia and Time Management Problems. These conditions require special care, accommodations, understanding and help from my educational and occupational environment. According to Professor George Th. Pavlidis (who certifies my study difficulties) the previously mentioned diagnosis leads to the following recommendations:

1. I should use a computer for writing my coursework, to get the benefit for the computer’s speller.

2. I should be given extended deadlines for the submission of my coursework, to compensate for my inability to adequately utilize my time and for my difficulty to convert my thoughts into writing.

3. I should be given 30% extra time for the normal allotted time on written exams, as well as for listening, to compensate to the time lost because of my Medium Mild ADHD and the difficulties stemming from my Mild Dyslexia.

4. I should be given rest breaks, to be able to keep an adequate level of concertation.

5. My spelling and syntactic errors should not be taking into account, because they result from my Mild Dyslexia.

6. I should be allowed to take Oral exams in a separate quiet room, away from external distractions.

7. The most appropriate forms of the question of the examination (when appropriate) are multiple choice, close type or gap filling, to compensate for the difficulty in transferring my thoughts into the written form.

The University of Glasgow disability service is aware of my study difficulties, as I have enrolled in the disability services since October 2014. Ms. Claire Rattray, my advisor, has kept a record of my diagnoses. However, from the recommendations mentioned above I have met only the two of them; the first and a variation of the third (since I have been given 15 extra minutes for every hour which is 25% present of an hour instead of 18 minutes which is the 30% of an hour). I have asked many times extended deadlines for the submission of my coursework, but Ms. Clair Rattray denied. She instead offered to provide me with a proof reader; Miss Jenny Scott. I accepted the offer, which at the begging sounded ideal, however that did not help me at all, because Miss J. Scott asked to proof-read my coursework six days before each submission deadline. At the end, half of the times I did not manage to be on time on my psychology assignments and for that I received a penalty. My good cause (study difficulties) was not taken into account. Additionally, the extra time given to me, was only for the final examination, while throughout the semester I took quizzes in the labs every fifteen days; these quizzes were the 10% of my total grade. To conclude I believe the University of Glasgow failed to take account of my medical circumstances.”

Of course I have provided all the documentations needed and of course I got rejected. They said to me:

“I am writing to confirm the outcome, under the College’s preliminary disposal procedures, of your appeal against the decision to refuse you to progress to Psychology Honours. The grounds for your appeal are relevant medical or other adverse personal circumstances which for good reason have not previously been presented.

The College Appeals Committee carefully considered the papers submitted to it and resolved to dismiss your appeal. Whilst the Committee was sympathetic to your medical and psychological problems, no good reason was found as to why you had not presented these circumstances earlier within a Good Cause application…”

In other words, university rejected my appeal because I did not present earlier my psychological and health issues. Even though I made clear on the appeal that the reason that I did not present them earlier was the stigma associated with mind and body illnesses. Furthermore, my grounds for appeal were two not one. First of all, it was the failure of my institution to take into account medical or other adverse personal circumstances that I had already provided (study difficulties) and secondly there were relevant medical or other adverse personal circumstances which for good reason have not previously been presented. However, I am thankful that the College Appeals Committee carefully considered the papers submitted by me. It seems to me that there was not carefully consideration at all. I have already regretted that I exposed my inner issues to strangers and if embarrassment of stigma is not a good cause for the committee then fair enough but I cannot do or say anything more. Fair enough is an ironic expression because for me it is not fair at all.

After my appeal rejection, even though I provided so many good causes, I approached Professor Panayotakis for guidance. I was asking him to help me go into three years non honor degree in Psychology. He told me that I cannot do it in the academic year 2016/2017 and he read again the email that he had sent to me, especially that point “…so as then to apply to transfer to the College of Science and Engineering in session 2017-2018 to complete your studies with a BSc in Psychological Studies.”. And I asked why I have to miss a year? On my last chat with Professor Panayotakis he said to me “You did not make clear that you are interested only in psychology, now you made that clear to us.” I said to him that this is the dream of my life and I have made that clear to every advisor I had spoken with and also the university has my personal statement before I even come to Glasgow. He said to me that only the admission saw my personal statement and not the rest of the university’s staff. Bellow you can read the personal statement that I delivered together with my application and the rest documentations needed for my application on UCAS.

“My first encounter with psychology took place during my adolescence. At that time, like many teenagers, I began to discover my inner world, as well as the dynamics which take place in a friendship, a relationship, between family members, between peers, or even amidst the members of a society. Subsequently, an experience drawn from within my close family circle brought about questions concerning both physical and habit-forming psychological dependence. I therefore took an avid interest in the discipline of psychology, and more specifically in the branches of behavioral and social psychology, who prioritize the study of personality types. Hence, I also became interested in the branches of ethology and behaviorism, who focalize on the study of animal behavior, both in natural conditions and laboratory settings.

Having worked in the restoration field for seven years, I have had the opportunity of coming across a multiple range of personality and temperament types. What are the prerequisites and the foundations which, in an entanglement of factors, account for the type of emotional, cognitive or behavioral response of a certain subject? What differentiates a normal response from a pathological one? And what can be considered as the border area between these two concepts? What drives a person’s behavior and acts? How did a subject come to adopt specific response patterns in various situations? It is amazing how all human beings strike one as having been born with the same physiological attributes, but are eventually unique both physiologically and psychologically.

Considering the previous interrogations, with a clear insistence on the notion of personality, I became fervently interested in theatre. Taking part in an amateur theatrical group from 2006 to 2009 was one of my most cherished and most enriching life experiences. It enabled me, through a form of art which demands self-knowledge, a capacity to adapt oneself but also empathy, to discover an important spread of personality traits and qualities. Moreover, with the aim of further investigating the subject with the approach of human and social sciences, I studied Theology at the Aristotelion University in Thessaloniki, Greece, and graduated in 2012. Nevertheless, I consider myself to be more of a historian specialized in the field of religion than a theologist per se.

For the past year, I have explored the discipline of psychology through the study of flagship works and research articles in the branches of clinical, social, abnormal, cognitive, behavioral, and differential psychology, as well as in the field of psychoanalysis. I decided to put forward an application in your university, with the strong belief that your academic program provides its students with the necessary theoretical knowledge, as well as with the required skills, methods and tools, that lead to a bright academic and professional career.

How if I applied for psychology it is not clear that this is what I want to do?

I wonder why the website of the Psychology course does not inform clearly the future students about the strict condition of a score average of B2 and it just says in a general basis “If you meet the requirements to proceed?

I also wonder why my official advisor Professor Heather Woods did not make clear to me about the 20 credits I needed for science? Even though, she knew I was interested in following that course.

I finally wonder why Dr Margaret Martin when I asked her to enroll me in a science course, on 2nd of February 2016, instead of helping me she misinformed me that I am not able to get into the designated psychology degree (3-year degree, non-honors)?

Was it unfamiliarity with her subject? Was it ignorance? Or was it something else, that I cannot and I do not want to imagine?

The University of Glasgow is inappropriate for students with study difficulties. I only gained embarrassment, not help. Furthermore, the University of Glasgow is unjust; I am not allowed to study what I had applied for. Furthermore, they give me no choice but applying to Psychological Studies (a conversion degree) which costs 7.700 pounds in order to gain the accreditation from British Psychology Society. This makes no point, why I did not chose to anywhere else in UK and graduate a course that I would have applied for, in three years instead of four.

Because of the reasons above, I should institute a process in law against University of Glasgow. However, because I consider myself part of University of Glasgow I will skip this option for the moment. Nevertheless, I have an obligation to protect the future student community by making them know my story. For that reason, I will publicize this bad University of Glasgow experience and will share everywhere online the disappointment that I have up until now.

I hope no other student to go through what I been through. As far as it concerns University of Glasgow, I hope my letter to consider as a feedback for improvement;

let the students know what they need to know on time.

UofG please train your advisors because they misinform students and this is extremely bad.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

It's a shame that you have had such a tough time. I am not a psychology student but have a lot of friends who are.
I remember them discussing in Year 1 after the inductions about the requirements for moving onto honours and the Sciences vs Arts issues.
It is made explicit in Year 1 that this is the case.

With regards to the University's disability service, again at your induction they are scripted to tell you that you should go visit them at your first opportunity to get any disabilities on record. You may not want nor require assistance but to have it on record so that everything is upfront. There is very little that the faculty can do after the fact which is why the information has to be given in advance.

There is a lot of personal identifying information in your post- this is probably not particularly wise. At the very least I would revisit your post and edit out your name.

If you do have problems studying in future, or if you are trying to increase your grades, consider attending one of the sessions run by the Student Learning Service. They are used to dealing with issues that are common for International students and there are specialists for each faculty.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Friffinghell
It's a shame that you have had such a tough time. I am not a psychology student but have a lot of friends who are.
I remember them discussing in Year 1 after the inductions about the requirements for moving onto honours and the Sciences vs Arts issues.

With regards to the University's disability service, again at your induction they are scripted to tell you that you should go visit them at your first opportunity to get any disabilities on record. You may not want nor require assistance but to have it on record so that everything is upfront. There is very little that the faculty can do after the fact which is why the information has to be given in advance.

There is a lot of personal identifying information in your post- this is probably not particularly wise. At the very least I would revisit your post and edit out your name.

If you do have problems studying in future, or if you are trying to increase your grades, consider attending one of the sessions run by the Student Learning Service. They are used to dealing with issues that are common for International students and there are specialists for each faculty.

Thank you Friffinghell, I took off my name. Thank you for the advice.

I am now doing my masters in the University of Edinburgh and I am working at the same time! So everything is working OK. A positive way of thinking is my motto.

I appealed to the university and I asked them to put me in the 3 years non-honour degree and follow a take an extra module of 20 credits in science and put online on the website of the university the strict condition for future students. And they rejected my first request and the second one they said they put it in the prospectus of arts BUT it is still not clear. This is why I am doing that post because I feel I owe it to students community.

To add a bit more drama to my story :P At a point I asked to see the head of Psychology and the played me again, I asked to see the head of Psychology and they booked me an appointment with another member of the stuff and never told me she is not the head which I found it completely rediculous (see attached second appeal stage email at the bottom of this reply for more details). Bellow, I will copy and past one of the emails with the investigation team (of my appeal) - After Margate Martin incident, that she lied that she did not misinform me because but I did not understand her English.... and this because I could not prove anything.. because we had an oral conversation at her office,**** ALWAYS DISCUSS VIA EMAIL (emails stay at unis archive and nobody can prove you wrong) Anyway.. after she lied... I was paranoid that everyone can play me so I was going to uni meetings to discuss my appeal and I was going only with the condition that afterwards, they would send me an email with what we said orally, so I will have it in a written form. So, the email I have attached below is what I said at the meeting with the investigation team on the second stage of my appeal (there are 3 stages according to UofG regulations).

To be honest, I feel very sorry about the education system, I realised that everything is about the money and I do not like that at all because education is a human right that should have been free. and ok I can understand that realistically this is not happening. However, and I am not a conspiracy theorist, this is a game of money. The theory behind the B2 (As Margaret Martin told me face to face) is that the university accepted too many psy students that cannot go into honors all of them and because university doesn't want to lose the good reputation they have to put limitation score that will vary every year depending on the students that have applied to psychology (and they will take the cleverest). ITS A VERY VERY sad story. I could take them to court but I will leave that to a student who has a better financial state than me and more time to deal with those things. I could not take the law path due to moral and practical obstacles. Thanks again for the advice mate :smile:

"Dear Suzan McAllan,

Thank you and Ms Stringfellow for inviting me at 6 University Garden for further investigation of my complaint. I also would like to thank you personally for taking the time to write down what we have said and providing this document to me via email.

Furthermore, I would like to add one more thing that we said at our meeting and I would like to add some things more.

Firstly, let me add what we said that was not in the notes attached to the previous email.

At some point, I mentioned that I visited Professor Stephany Biello.

Bellow I will present, together with what I already told you on our meeting, some things more about my meeting with Ms Biello that I have not mentioned in our meeting yesterday.

On August 22 I approached via email, the head of Psychology School, Professor Philippe Schyns. Then, on August 24 I received an email from Louise McFadzean which was saying “Professor Stephany Biello would be happy to meet with you to discuss your concerns after you return to Glasgow.” I thought that Stephany Biello was the head of the School, it was the time I was trying to approach every person I thought he/she would be interested in my story. So, I booked an appointment with Ms Biello and after my meeting with her, I did my research and I realized that I was not speaking with the head of psychology. I was motivated to look if she was the head of the School because as I was in the building waiting to see her, I said to a lady at the reception that I have a meeting with the head of Psychology and they told me that I might be mistaken because the head of the School was away until the end of September (I do not remember exactly the date he was coming back). I was pretty surprised that I did not spoke with the head of Psychology to be honest, but after my meeting with Ms Biello I started to feel very disappointed with the whole issue that I decided to drop it. I realized that it is pointless to ask a meeting with the head of Psychology.
So, back to the meeting with Ms Biello. I was telling her about my story, and she stopped me at a point to tell me that she could barely believe that Margaret Martin the Senior advisor misinformed me. She used so many times the expression “I can barely believe that” that at the end I think that she barely took me seriously. At the end of our discussion, she told me that Margaret Martin apparently advised me very good because at the time, when I visited Margaret Martin asking her to enrol me on a science module (2nd of February) I could not practically enrol I had passed the deadline for the enrollment. I didn’t comment on her statement that Ms Margaret Martin advised me in a right way because Ms Martin told me that I AM NOT ABLE and that I never had this ability to do the 3 years non honor degree in Psychology. This was misinformation, not good advising. So, I asked Ms Biello to tell me when exactly is the deadline for enrollment in a whatever module, what are the regulations. She didn’t know. She told me if I wish to know at that time and I politely asked her to find out at that very moment, so she called Lynda Young and Lynda Young sent Ms Biello that link http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/registry/enrolment/#/makingchanges that Ms Biello forwarded to me. I asked Ms Biello if this is unchangeable? I mean sometimes deadlines can change this I know from my academic experience, and then Ms Biello told me that she guesses, she didn’t know that this cannot change, she told me this is why regulations are. Then she gave me a lecture about how rules and regulations work and then when we came to the point why I cannot do the 3 years designated degree in Psychology and pick the science module to gain the 20 credits at the same time of my studies so I won’t miss my academic year 2017-16. She told me she was guessing, she did not know, that the regulations that do not allow me to do that are because the university probably knows in advance that a student with weak marks might not be able to graduate with an extra module. I strongly believe that she was right because when it comes to academic scoring I have a very low self-esteem. However, nobody can tell nobody what she/he cannot do. In my opinion this kind of things you do not tell them to your students, it was mean, even if she had right. So, if you do the investigation and at the end, Ms Martin tells you that I was out of time, please ask if the time limit can change depending on the situation. At the end, if Margaret Martin had to send an email in September 2015. because on my letter I am mentioning that she (Margaret Martin) told me, she had to send an informative email which she didn’t send, an email to all students from school of arts which would inform them that they have to pick a science module in order to do the 3 years designated degree in case they do not manage to go into honors and she didn’t send that email, never. So, I am asking can this be considered as a break of the regulations? And if an advisor can break the regulations occasionally then I guess the regulations change for a student, too, depending on the situation. I guess.

I found this on the UofG website about the advising regulationshttp://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_154171_en.pdf

I might be wrong but at a point, it says that

“Members of the University community whose remit includes the provision of advice and information to students, are individually and collectively committed to:
Supporting, advising and helping students with a view to enhancing their learning experience and professional development
Respecting students’ confidentiality within the constraints regarding the processing and disclosure of personal data, as set out in Section III of the ‘Fees and General Information’ Section of the Calendar.
Recognising the diverse background of students
Maintaining a duty of care within professional parameters
Providing an informed and up-to-date service
Providing impartial advice”

If those are the regulations that Ms Martin had to follow and didn’t and this affected me in a bad way then I think is fair for the University to break the regulations for me and let me study what I have applied for.

At the end and I think this is the most important part of this email would like to tell you, because Ms Stringfellow asked, that I will be satisfied with the outcome of my complaint if and only if I continue to do psychology, in any way. The fairest decision would be to do psychology honours because for this I applied and the course information on the website is not informative at all about the strict condition that the school is asking for progression to the third year.
However, I would be happy if I could do at least the designated degree in year 2016-2017. With the view that in year 2017-18 I will do the converse course in Psychology.
At this point I would like to tell you, that indeed Ms Stringfellow at some point on our meeting she said to me if I have considered the conversion course and I changed the subject by saying something else important and I completely forgot to comment on that. About this course I am aware before my arrival to Glasgow, I am already eligible for the course because I already keep in my hands an honorary degree from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (public university in Greece) and it is a 2.1 classification. But as I have told you psychology is the dream of my life and I would love to do it properly. Gain as much knowledge as I can, through a regular course. I did not want to just study 1 year and be a Psychologist. I know that after a general degree in psychology you are not a psychologist and you have to specialize, but still, I wanted to do it properly.
I also thought to apply for the converse course for the year 2016-17(now) but when I was looking to apply, this summer on my holidays, I had only couple of days until the deadline, plus I thought that I do not want to bin my last two academic years that I have already completed in UofG and plus I cannot afford it at the moment. I have to be in Scotland 3 years in a raw to take a loan and on the side I do not have 8.000 pounds to pay for that course.

So to conclude I would be happy if I did a designated degree in Psychology with the view that 2017-18 I will be able to apply to the MA converse psychology degree in Glasgow. This is my proper answer about what outcome would make me happy.
Please,update website I really care about future students, education is a virtue and I hope everybody in this world had practically the right to educate, so, I would really appreciate if the things that went wrong with me, improve and get better for future students but to be honest the outcome of this complaint, that I am really looking for, is to improve my own, current study path.

Thank you very much for your time reading through my long email."
Reply 3
Original post by Friffinghell

The original post stated that they were dyslexic, suffered from ADHD and English was not their first language. Have UofG considered this? Was it clear to EVERY student. It doesn't appear so in this case.
Confused by your paragraph about disability services...i thought they were a service of support to ensure a student is not "disabled" by their impairment. This student clearly was.
Reply 4
Holy moly. I know this is an old old post but I couldn't resist.
So the biggest part of this post is the alleged medical issues. Now when you register on UCAS and on my campus you have a disability form to fill in. If you didn't fill it in that's kinda your own fault, sorry. If you don't register these things you can't expect everyone to account to you personally.
In terms of credits, when you choose courses on mycampus/my registration (enrolment page) there is a clear outline of what you have to take. Again, if you didn't figure this out or read these it's your fault
You also applied to apparently a top psychology university and didn't expect them to have requirements for progression? The number of students per year is readily available online and you can see that it decreases from year 1 to 2 to 3 etc. Ye, guess why
I guess all in all take this as a lesson, be a little less entitled and take more responsibility. Stop blaming others and look at how little you did to help yourself
Thank you for sharing this. I had a similar experience at Glasgow University, and I concur with much of what you have said. I went to 3 different universities. Glasgow is, on paper, the most highly regarded of the 3, but in my experience it was far and away the worst in a multitude of respects. I would like to reply more fully in order to share with you and others, the shoddy experiences I had at GU. Once I started writing, I found that several pages poured out, and that I need to review and organise the content before posting. I will give you a full reply soon.I hope that you experiences at GU are ancient history and that you have moved on positively after your demoralising experiences with that institution.
Original post by ApolNavi
Holy moly. I know this is an old old post but I couldn't resist.
So the biggest part of this post is the alleged medical issues. Now when you register on UCAS and on my campus you have a disability form to fill in. If you didn't fill it in that's kinda your own fault, sorry. If you don't register these things you can't expect everyone to account to you personally.
In terms of credits, when you choose coYour reply only exemplifies the kind of attitude associated with failure, lack of accountability, lack of honesty, lack of transparency. etc - "not my problem mate, everyone for themselves". The chickens of Rand and Thatcher are coming home to roost.

urses on mycampus/my registration (enrolment page) there is a clear outline of what you have to take. Again, if you didn't figure this out or read these it's your fault
You also applied to apparently a top psychology university and didn't expect them to have requirements for progression? The number of students per year is readily available online and you can see that it decreases from year 1 to 2 to 3 etc. Ye, guess why
I guess all in all take this as a lesson, be a little less entitled and take more responsibility. Stop blaming others and look at how little you did to help yourself

Your reply only exemplifies the kind of attitude associated with failure, lack of accountability, lack of honesty, lack of transparency. etc - "not my problem mate, everyone for themselves". The chickens of Rand and Thatcher are coming home to roost. Oh you make me proud to be a Brit.

Latest

Trending

Trending