The Student Room Group

Worried about climate change.

I know most heatwaves aren't actually connected to climate change but it just got me thinking, that's all. I'm just worried about the future of our planet. Is climate change actually a risk to humanity? If you ask me, if we reduced and controlled the population, like banning childbirth, that would solve the problem.

Scroll to see replies

There will always be those who say that climate change is not a threat in reality, it obviously is real and is a threat. However, we are doing things to combat it, such as Paris 2015 Accords, Kyoto Protocol and investing more in renewables. Sadly, it isn't enough if we still rely heavily on past methods of survival. More and more governments, however, are doing things to adapt and overcome climate change; we're likely to see things change in the future as climate change as a hazard gets more prevalent.

Banning childbirth is not really, in my opinion, going to have a positive effect on climate change. Granted, the population is rapidly increasing and putting more strain on our resources, but the effect is more than likely mitigatable. Also banning childbirth is quite extreme and would lead to imbalances in gender/age/population demographics such as China experiences today.
Reply 2
Original post by BlueHighlighter
There will always be those who say that climate change is not a threat in reality, it obviously is real and is a threat. However, we are doing things to combat it, such as Paris 2015 Accords, Kyoto Protocol and investing more in renewables. Sadly, it isn't enough if we still rely heavily on past methods of survival. More and more governments, however, are doing things to adapt and overcome climate change; we're likely to see things change in the future as climate change as a hazard gets more prevalent.

Banning childbirth is not really, in my opinion, going to have a positive effect on climate change. Granted, the population is rapidly increasing and putting more strain on our resources, but the effect is more than likely mitigatable. Also banning childbirth is quite extreme and would lead to imbalances in gender/age/population demographics such as China experiences today.

So are you saying "we're likely to see things change" - do you mean in terms of climate change being slowed down, or more done to stop it/reduce it?

I think people who think climate change can magically be stopped are just as bad, the climate changes naturally, but undoubtedly we have sped things up.

I guess its only positive that more and more is being done to combat climate change and at least raise awareness of it.
Original post by kali8603
I know most heatwaves aren't actually connected to climate change but it just got me thinking, that's all. I'm just worried about the future of our planet. Is climate change actually a risk to humanity? If you ask me, if we reduced and controlled the population, like banning childbirth, that would solve the problem.

Too late to halt what's going on. Radical global action (which isn't going to happen) might slow the increase in temperature but by how much is not easy to know. Oceanic acidification is another massive disaster on its way. We've messed up and it's not really fixable.
Reply 4
Original post by BeetRoots
Too late to halt what's going on. Radical global action (which isn't going to happen) might slow the increase in temperature but by how much is not easy to know. Oceanic acidification is another massive disaster on its way. We've messed up and it's not really fixable.

So what's even the point of bothering?
I’m somewhat sceptical about climate change- a lot of it is alarmism. That said we should of course do more to avoid waste and protect our natural habitat.

One of many reasons why the Green Party is such a joke is that they are strongly against the only effective form of renewable energy : that is nuclear power.
Banning childbirth would lead to near human extinction. Would you want that? Because I'm on board.:wink:
As for childbirth, no if anything we need to be encouraging more children in the developed world and discouraging people to have a dozen kids in the third world- otherwise we risk among other things importing the problems of overpopulation here
Reply 8
Original post by Alt Tankie
I’m somewhat sceptical about climate change- a lot of it is alarmism. That said we should of course do more to avoid waste and protect our natural habitat.

One of many reasons why the Green Party is such a joke is that they are strongly against the only effective form of renewable energy : that is nuclear power.

Yeah, I'm somewhat skeptical but having seen the recent extremes of weather, I'm more receptive to it now.

That said, I think a lot of people do seem to forget the world did actually used to be hotter many years ago, especially in the medieval period (the medieval warm period), but also as said, 56 million years ago they had "global warming" which made the arctic lose all its ice.
Reply 9
As for childbirth, no if anything we need to be encouraging more children in the developed world and discouraging people to have a dozen kids in the third world- otherwise we risk among other things importing the problems of overpopulation here

How do we risk overpopulation here with restricting childbirth here?

Yes, I agree, speaking from a third worldist perspective, the birth rate in countries like india and sub saharan africa needs to be reduced. As terrible as it sounds, some kind of plague or famine in the world would probably sort out over population. Because culturally, they are never going to have less children. If they become more developed though, and have things like contraception, maybe it can be reduced.
Reply 10
Original post by Obolinda
Banning childbirth would lead to near human extinction. Would you want that? Because I'm on board.:wink:

Not forever, just for a few years. It's mostly third world countries which are the problem.
So what's even the point of bothering?

Hope, and it's possible my view is too pessimistic. The sheer scale of humanity and it's transformative effect spells doom, yes changes are coming, electric cars, renewable energy sources but it's all too little too late in my view.
Not forever, just for a few years. It's mostly third world countries which are the problem.

Shame
Kinda agree, ngl
Original post by BeetRoots
Hope, and it's possible my view is too pessimistic. The sheer scale of humanity and it's transformative effect spells doom, yes changes are coming, electric cars, renewable energy sources but it's all too little too late in my view.
So are you saying "we're likely to see things change" - do you mean in terms of climate change being slowed down, or more done to stop it/reduce it?

I think people who think climate change can magically be stopped are just as bad, the climate changes naturally, but undoubtedly we have sped things up.

I guess its only positive that more and more is being done to combat climate change and at least raise awareness of it.

Obviously, there will be more done to mitigate and adapt to climate change; the UK has heavily invested in renewables, including wind.

Nuclear power isn't renewable and it comes with it's own problems.Dangerous waste which stays toxic for twice the age of human civilisation for one thing.As for renewable it has been effective in some places.In Scotland they are producing twice the amount of energy they need just through wind power.
Yeah, I'm somewhat skeptical but having seen the recent extremes of weather, I'm more receptive to it now.

That said, I think a lot of people do seem to forget the world did actually used to be hotter many years ago, especially in the medieval period (the medieval warm period), but also as said, 56 million years ago they had "global warming" which made the arctic lose all its ice.

Natural factors can effect climate.The ice caps have been tropical forest before now.But that doesn't mean humans aren't causing this particular climate change.All that carbon dioxide and methane has to go somewhere.Small things can have a big impact.It was bacteria which originally gave us oxygen to breathe for instance.
tHe EnD iS niGH
Climate change is definitely a concern as well as overpopulation. But the Dajjal is coming anyway. So who cares!

He was on Twitter and said he was arriving soon, he is just enjoying life right now taking it easy.
Me reading all the comments and going to uni to study earth science (well....)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending