The Student Room Group

The Year 12s into 13s Summer Study Support Group 2019

:woo: Welcome to 2019's Year 12s into 13s Summer Study Support Group :woo:

Year 12 is over:party: but is all the work over too? For most people, yes, it's time to party and binge netflix. If you're here though you're probably planning on using the summer to get ready for next year, whether that may be by tidying up notes, learning next year's course, doing coursework, you name it. (Please don't work 24/7 though, summer is still a time for a deserved break:hugs:, look after yourselves:heart:)

This thread is for any Year 12's moving into Year 13 who want a space to destress, rant, swap share study techniques, document their study goals/progress, discuss ideas and find like-minded people who may be taking the same courses as them!

Feel free to come and go as you please, whether you want to regularly chat on here or just lurk around to steal a few study ideas, all are welcome!

Here are a few questions to introduce yourself and get the conversation started:
1. What subjects do you take?
2. How did your mock exams go? Are you happy with your results? If not, why?
3. What surprised you the most about about A-levels? Did it meet your expectations?
4. What are you going to do this summer? Focus on transition work, read ahead of class, relax, sleep?
5. How are you feeling about next year? Excited? Bricking it? Want it over and done with?

Here are some subject specific tips from last year's summer study support group (big thanks to @CinnamonSmol:smile:):

Spoiler

Feel free to share your own advice, useful threads and website:thumbsup:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello lovely year 12s (and their supporters who've posted in the year 12 thread!) :grouphugs: Hope you're all having a wonderful summer! Just to make you all aware of this lovely thread for you to support each other on over the summer. There's some questions above to answer so you can jump straight in :yep:

Spoiler

Original post by Fin020
x

Original post by Sam snake
x

Original post by Medstudent99
x

Original post by ~BrielleHoney~
x

Original post by Stress queen
x

Original post by ollie.w
x

Original post by Natalia Kasera
x

Original post by Jaffacakelover
x

Original post by nightmindowl
x

Original post by Smurphy2015
x

Original post by rainergeelmuyden
x

Original post by mikaelalrc
x

Original post by modus operandi
x

Original post by Fannon
x

Original post by milkytae
x

hey guys, anyone here that is waiting for their physics unit one new spec results?😟😟😟
hey everyone :smile:

I take psychology, biology and maths

I did well in psych which is what i care about the most so i'm happy with that, however i think i may have focused on it too much and neglected the others. although i still did well i think i just got lucky, and will be having resits in september anyway

3. What surprised you the most about about A-levels? Did it meet your expectations?
i think it mostly met my expectations, i think anything i was surprised about is specific to my school rather than a-levels in general

4. What are you going to do this summer? Focus on transition work, read ahead of class, relax, sleep?
i'm trying to revise for the 2 resits and catching up with notes from last year so im on top of it next year. also, i'm preparing for uni applications with wider reading etc

5. How are you feeling about next year? Excited? Bricking it? Want it over and done with?

kinda indifferent at the moment but i know it will be stressful, i just hope it is all worth it at the end
Reply 4
Original post by ephemeral02
hey everyone :smile:

I take psychology, biology and maths

I did well in psych which is what i care about the most so i'm happy with that, however i think i may have focused on it too much and neglected the others. although i still did well i think i just got lucky, and will be having resits in september anyway

i think it mostly met my expectations, i think anything i was surprised about is specific to my school rather than a-levels in general

i'm trying to revise for the 2 resits and catching up with notes from last year so im on top of it next year. also, i'm preparing for uni applications with wider reading etc

kinda indifferent at the moment but i know it will be stressful, i just hope it is all worth it at the end

That’s an interesting mix:smile:
:woo: for doing well in psychology, though maybe focus more on time management next year so you don’t just do psychology (though I do the same with maths:biggrin:)
What do you want to do at uni?
Have a great summer:hugs:
Reply 5
bio chem maths
amazing and yeppp
nothing really
ucat and bmat prep :frown:
excited tbh (lmao im so sad)

Spoiler

4 weeks is so short i dont think i can do revision for all subjects so i'm focusing on maths and uni prep / admissions test
Original post by Toastiekid
That’s an interesting mix:smile:
:woo: for doing well in psychology, though maybe focus more on time management next year so you don’t just do psychology (though I do the same with maths:biggrin:)
What do you want to do at uni?
Have a great summer:hugs:

haha thank you! i would like to do psychology at uni :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by syrup!
bio chem maths
amazing and yeppp
nothing really
ucat and bmat prep :frown:
excited tbh (lmao im so sad)

Spoiler

:woo: that’s brill!
a future medic?
Have a great summer:wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Presence
4 weeks is so short i dont think i can do revision for all subjects so i'm focusing on maths and uni prep / admissions test

You’ve only got four weeks?:console:
That’s seems like a good idea though- what are you applying for?
Original post by ephemeral02
haha thank you! i would like to do psychology at uni :smile:

That’s awesome, psychology seems really interesting:yep:
You’ve only got four weeks?:console:
That’s seems like a good idea though- what are you applying for?

after taking out 1 week for work expereince yea 4 weeks :/ , hoping to do economics xxx you ?
Reply 12
yeppp hopefully :smile:
:woo: that’s brill!
a future medic?

thats lookin like a myth atm hahaha
but you tooo
Have a great summer:wink:
Original post by Presence
after taking out 1 week for work expereince yea 4 weeks :/ , hoping to do economics xxx you ?

ahh okay, makes sense now:smile:
maths and economics:grin: so semi-snap:lol:
Original post by syrup!
yeppp hopefully :smile:

thats lookin like a myth atm hahaha
but you tooo

:hugs: you got this:yep:
Reply 14
thaaanks
btw are you in uni or applying?
ahh okay, makes sense now:smile:
maths and economics:grin: so semi-snap:lol:

:hugs: you got this:yep:
Original post by syrup!
thaaanks
btw are you in uni or applying?

no problem
i'm a fellow year 12:colondollar:
Reply 16
you should do a post of your own in the format :h:
no problem
i'm a fellow year 12:colondollar:
maths, chem, physics and further maths
pretty well for how much I revised tbh but the perfectionist in me really wanted 4 As lool
im so tired even tho i have less lessons but i kinda expected it from the horror stories haha
just done a week of work experience, am in the middle of another 2 days of work experience then I have a residential in cambridge and somehow i need to find time for drafting my ps, epq research, holiday hw, revising for tests when im back and admissions test prep rip

feel like im going to die from stress next year but im excited to see all my friends again and be angry at the new y12s :tongue:
Reply 18
What subjects do you take?
French, Geography, and Chemistry A Level

How did your mock exams go?
I got AAB in French, Geography, Chemistry. (My school doesn’t give A* in year 12). I’m fairly pleased with them as the chemistry paper we did had some questions on topics we hadn’t been taught, so yeah they went well.

What surprised you most about a levels? Did it meet your expectations?
I’d say the amount of independence. I mean I expected it, but not as much. I do more private study and my own work than actual homework by a large margin. If you don’t do homework teachers don’t really care as it’s not their problem. The amount of free periods I like as I can do my own study and homework to a high standard. Also I thought that I’d be able to make friends with new people and “start afresh” but that didn’t really happen. I’ve never drink alcohol, never been to a party, never had a relationship,and don’t have any proper friends, I’m quite a lone wolf.

What are you going to do this summer?
Luckily there’s a bus that goes from right outside my house to the Royal Albert Hall, which is right next to the Royal Geographical Society :biggrin:. So I’m a student member and I plan to attend a lot of evening lectures there, I’ve been to two already. Other than that I made a big mind map about everything I should do this summer - I’m slowly working through that. Cambridge Admissions Assessment prep, personal statement, finish mindmaps of Y12 content, do summer homework, doing my geography coursework etc. As well as playing my favourite computer game and enjoying resting a lot. :smile:

How are you feeling about next year?
I’m looking forward to having more order in my life again, getting into a routine. I’m happy with my subjects and a level choices, I hope I have more frees. I’m quite nervous about applying to Cambridge University, but if I don’t get in it will be an experience to remember. I’m quite sad to be honest that I only have two proper terms left, it will be weird not seeing anyone I’ve been with for the last seven years anymore.

Thanks for tagging me in this thread :biggrin:
History, Spanish and Economics

I got an A* in Spanish which I'm super happy about!! Econ and History were AS exams so won't know the results till August 15th - don't think econ went too well as I definitely messed up paper 2 but history went surprisingly well considering the hell it put me through this year haha

Honestly, I knew it was going to be hard but damn. The jump for me was ridiculous, going from quite a "bad" secondary with low progression to one of the best FE colleges in the country, but after the first term I kind of got the grip of it. The amount of free periods also shocked me but it was definitely very useful during exam season.

Have quite a lot of homework/transition work to do, as well as coursework for history, and I'm currently doing a MOOC on the Tudors in preparation for History next year. Also need to start thinking about the LNAT and my personal statement. In the very little time I have left: sleep.

A mixture of excitement and pure fear. It's such a scary thought how fast this year went and how I know A-levels will come up so quickly. But honestly, I feel quite proud in myself and my progress and ready to get on with it (though, yes, bricking it).

Quick Reply

Latest