The Student Room Group

How do I sort out my treatment after immigration?

So here's the problem:

I've been suffering from depression for years. I have to take prescribed medicine to keep my mental state proper and normal.
The thing is, I've never been diagnosed by a psychiatrist.
The diagnosis was given by my regular doctor, who has been prescribing my antidepressant.

In the UK I'd need prescriptions as well, I can't stop taking the pills, and even if it was possible, it would require months of gradually decreasing the doses. It may have terrible effects on my abilities and frame of mind, and can even be dangerous if I just stop taking them.
How do I sort it out, to have the medicine prescribed while I'll be studying in the UK?
Original post by PTMalewski
So here's the problem:

I've been suffering from depression for years. I have to take prescribed medicine to keep my mental state proper and normal.
The diagnosis was given by my regular doctor, who has been prescribing my antidepressant.

In the UK I'd need prescriptions as well, I can't stop taking the pills, and even if it was possible, it would require months of gradually decreasing the doses. It may have terrible effects on my abilities and frame of mind, and can even be dangerous if I just stop taking them.
How do I sort it out, to have the medicine prescribed while I'll be studying in the UK?

Register with a doctors surgery. Your university will probably recommend one, if not, enquire with the unis student union.
So here's the problem:

In the UK, most cases of depression are diagnosed and managed by GPs rather than psychiatrists, so it's not an issue that you've not seen a psychiatrist.

As the poster above said, you need to register with a GP surgery in order for them to continue prescribing your meds. Your uni probably will suggest a GP surgery, but be aware that university health centres are usually really busy and it might be weeks before you can get an appointment, so it might worth looking at other surgeries in the area. Also bear in mind that if you are on something unusual or something not commonly used in the UK, the GP may need to contact a psychiatrist for advice, which will take time, so make sure you have enough of a supply of your meds to last at least 2-3 months just in case.
Reply 3
Original post by black tea
which will take time, so make sure you have enough of a supply of your meds to last at least 2-3 months just in case.

And could I get my meds sent by post from the EU, or is it illegal?
And could I get my meds sent by post from the EU, or is it illegal?

That I don't know. But can you not just bring them in your suitcase?
Reply 5
I can, but if just like anything else in the UK, they'll be 5 times more expensive, it will be a significant charge for my budget.
I can, but if just like anything else in the UK, they'll be 5 times more expensive, it will be a significant charge for my budget.

Are you moving to England or to another part of the UK? England is the only place in the UK where you have to pay for prescriptions - they are free everywhere else.
Reply 7
Original post by black tea
Are you moving to England or to another part of the UK? England is the only place in the UK where you have to pay for prescriptions - they are free everywhere else.

England. What do you mean by 'pay for prescription'? Do I have to pay a doctor for prescribing anything?
England. What do you mean by 'pay for prescription'? Do I have to pay a doctor for prescribing anything?

No, you don't pay the doctor, you only pay for the medication. But the way it works in England is that you pay a standard price of £9 for any medication you are prescribed - so even if medication actually cost £100, you would still only pay £9 (but if it costs 40p, you still pay £9...). I'm not sure if that makes sense, but this website has some more info:

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/info/nhs-prescription-costs
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
You see a doctor to get a prescription. You then take that prescription to a pharmacy where you pay £9 for each medication. Usually the doctor would give you a 28/30 day supply.

If you need more than one medication it is likely to work out cheaper if you pay for a prescription payment certificate which is £29.10 for 3 months and £104 for 12 months. Once you have the certificate you can get unlimited prescriptions without paying any more.
Thanks, that'd be fine. I'm even speding something about those £9 a month on my pills by now.

Quick Reply