The Student Room Group

EU shoots down Boris’s Brexit plan the minute he is elected

Scroll to see replies

I dont think it means much. Most people expect a no deal brexit and both sides lose. Just get on with it now its boring. He still has to get it past parliament and will probably need an election.
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png
Reply 3
They'd try to undermine his position even if they were willing to renegotiate.

Perhaps they won't renegotiate, but Johnson seems more stubborn than May even if you think he did initially start on the fence - May was definitely Remain.
A clown as a Prime minister
Reply 5
Original post by ThomH97
They'd try to undermine his position even if they were willing to renegotiate.

Perhaps they won't renegotiate, but Johnson seems more stubborn than May even if you think he did initially start on the fence - May was definitely Remain.

He doesn’t have a position to undermine? The EU have been clear that they’re not going to renegotiate anything, least of all to this fatuous egotist
So was Johnson, I doubt he cares one way or the other he just wanted to get into number 10 and saw siding with this moronic cause as the best way.
Reply 6
The EU have nothing further to add to the matter? Actually, Boris doesn't have to do anything other than run the clock down, if that's their attitude, and Remainers would better brace yourselves: it may well be the case that there simply isn't enough Parliamentarian time available to prevent him from doing so if he just keeps his hands in his pockets. Whether he will go for that or not we can only speculate on but he can do it.

Just over three months till the 31st of October, MPs are going on holidays and there's the party conference season to follow. If nothing happens before the end of October, the UK will be out of the EU by the first of November. Any motions and moves by Remainers in the House have to follow procedures and take time, were even an election to be called and that would go over the line. Only a motion of no confidence in the Government and bringing it down could work and even that would, apparently, require Corbyn to table it... tomorrow.
(edited 4 years ago)
Boris will get us out. yes sirree Bob

The US also voted in Donald Trump, who has been claimed to be a threat to America.
Reply 10
Original post by Wired_1800
Boris will make a success of Brexit

Is that sarcasm or?
Reply 11
Original post by z-hog
The EU have nothing further to add to the matter? Actually, Boris doesn't have to do anything other than run the clock down, if that's their attitude, and Remainers would better brace yourselves: it may well be the case that there simply isn't enough Parliamentarian time available to prevent him from doing so if he just keeps his hands in his pockets. Whether he will go for that or not we can only speculate on but he can do it.

Just over three months till the 31st of October, MPs are going on holidays and there's the party conference season to follow. If nothing happens before the end of October, the UK will be out of the EU by the first of November. Any motions and moves by Remainers in the House have to follow procedures and take time, were even an election to be called and that would go over the line. Only a motion of no confidence in the Government and bringing it down could work and even that would, apparently, require Corbyn to table it... tomorrow.

I like how you’re under the illusion that it’s only ‘remainers’ who don’t want a hard Brexit, something that is demonstrably a lie.
Original post by Napp
Is that sarcasm or?

It isn't. I think he is capable of doing it.
Reply 13
Original post by Wired_1800
It isn't. I think he is capable of doing it.

Oh dear... 😂
Reply 14
Original post by Napp
I like how you’re under the illusion that it’s only ‘remainers’ who don’t want a hard Brexit, something that is demonstrably a lie.

Alright, I'll make it 'Remainers and everybody else who doesn't want a hard Brexit'. Happy, can we put this issue to bed now?
Reply 15
Original post by z-hog
Alright, I'll make it 'Remainers and everybody else who doesn't want a hard Brexit'. Happy, can we put this issue to bed now?

So you mean the vast majority of the population?
Reply 16
Original post by Napp
So you mean the vast majority of the population?

Just to make matters easy, Yes. I mean the majority of the population.
I don't think Boris will have us out by October. I don't think he has the capability or the balls. October will come round and the pressure will be on to extend the negotiation period or just stay in.
Reply 18
Remainers are taking their time to realise what's coming, which is not totally surprising but by now should have got them thinking. The course of action has been described above and there's no reaction from them, maybe thinking Parliament will do something about it. Yeah, wait for it...

The BIG NEWS yesterday were that the Lib-Dems have woken up to the facts and tried to hurriedly put together the no-confidence motion and that Labour opted out, which was a hugely significant decision. It clearly shows that Corbyn is only too happy to see the UK out of the EU in October (something that may come as a surprise only to Remainers), like that he can blame the Tories and pretend he was all against the idea. Behind closed doors, he'll be rubbing his hands and dreaming of making it to number 10 and start nationalising whatever he likes, something he couldn't do in the EU.

Even the BBC are taking their time in realising this, must be the holiday season. The moment they do, it will be panic at all stations.
No deal is a big problem for both sides. I think even if it happens you will very quickly see emergency deals and legislation put in place to ensure smooth running of things.

Pragmatism will eventually win our. Neither the EU not the UK want to he the side that will put a border in Ireland (not that you really effectively could), so there won’t be one.

UK citizens in the EU and Vice Verda won’t suddenly be deported.

The UK won’t introduce checks on its side of the border at Dover because (and vice Versa).

I could be wrong but pragmatism usually wins.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending