The Student Room Group

1 litre car

Can a 1 litre car make it to Manchester from Sheffield.
Original post by Ali_81

`yes, engine size has very little to do with vehicle range. If anything an efficient 1L engine is much better as it will burn less fuel doing highway miles than larger engines with a higher fuel flow rate.
Original post by Ali_81

@Cleverboy1991
Reply 3
Original post by Ali_81

I don't know, can it? I'd give it lots of treats and encouragement and it might be able to do a few tricks for you.

Make sure to pet it every half hour and groom it thoroughly.
The modern car's engine is getting smaller and smaller. Due to increase efficiency and less emission.
There is even a 1 litre Ford Fiesta with 3 cylinders turbo on the market.
Yes, a 1 litre car can go from Sheffield to Manchester and beyond.
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
`yes, engine size has very little to do with vehicle range. If anything an efficient 1L engine is much better as it will burn less fuel doing highway miles than larger engines with a higher fuel flow rate.

Eh, that depends massively on the cars you're comparing. A little 1 litre screaming along at 70mph is going to use a lot of fuel compared to a larger engine lazily cruising along at the same speed.
Original post by Nuffles
Eh, that depends massively on the cars you're comparing. A little 1 litre screaming along at 70mph is going to use a lot of fuel compared to a larger engine lazily cruising along at the same speed.

Yes, it varies massively, but in any car manufactured in the last 5 years should easily handle 70 at cruise lowish rpm easily in 5th or 6th. Obviously if its an old banger this won't be the case, but nobody has a BSFC map on hand for every single model on the roads... thus it was a generalisation.
Reply 7
Honestly depends on what car. A 2008 Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 has around 59hp so if you have it full of people good luck doing 70 up a hill (even in 4th it's a struggle). Don't even bother with overtaking. I found it best to stay behind lorry's as there is less drag and hence less load on the engine.

However, if you have the 1.0 turbo in the fiesta, you can have a bunch of fun in that. Pull pretty hard on country lanes and a blast to drive. Can keep up with the flow of traffic regardless of gradients and can return respectable mpg at 75 which is about 70 mph real speed. (Speedos are inaccurate out of the factory, found the fiesta to be off by around 5mph at that speed)
Original post by iMZee
Honestly depends on what car. A 2008 Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 has around 59hp so if you have it full of people good luck doing 70 up a hill (even in 4th it's a struggle). Don't even bother with overtaking. I found it best to stay behind lorry's as there is less drag and hence less load on the engine.

However, if you have the 1.0 turbo in the fiesta, you can have a bunch of fun in that. Pull pretty hard on country lanes and a blast to drive. Can keep up with the flow of traffic regardless of gradients and can return respectable mpg at 75 which is about 70 mph real speed. (Speedos are inaccurate out of the factory, found the fiesta to be off by around 5mph at that speed)

1L ecoboost is great fun (factory speedos should not be close to that far off tho, 5 mph is a serious fault outside the nominal required standards, I would take that back to the dealer that should be taken care of for free fix)
If this guy can drive from Liverpool to Madrid in a £40 car then anything is possible.
Reply 10
Original post by mnot
1L ecoboost is great fun (factory speedos should not be close to that far off tho, 5 mph is a serious fault outside the nominal required standards, I would take that back to the dealer that should be taken care of for free fix)

Thanks for the tip
Reply 11
Original post by mnot

That's ********. You're talking out your arse.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by iMZee
Thanks for the tip

Ignore them, they don't have a clue.
Original post by mnot

I agree
I have a 0.9L turbo (899 ccs lol), and it flies along at 85 just fine. 45-50 mpg too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending