The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's becoming increasingly clear that democracy is supported mostly by those who think it will give them the answer they want.
Original post by yudothis
But like Trump voters the backbone of the movement is the lower class that have been told all their problems is the establishment that if you make Britain Great Britain again suddenly everything will be better, when the absolute vast majority of experts in the vast majority of fields say otherwise, because it's what people want to hear. That's the difference between the average Brexiter and Remainer.

There is another theory that the elites are collectively crazy. I am an elite myself and think many of the people around me are crazy, so I take this possibility seriously.
Original post by ed98
Parliament have already had their say though. MPs voted 6 to 1 in favour of the European Referendum Act 2015 to allow the people to decide their own future.

They were just arrogant and never expected the public to defy them.

This was dealt with in the judgment if you care to read it.

As a matter of constitutional law, the answer to a referendum is advisory only. It is not binding - and as such doesn't give the government the power to invoke Article 50.

In other words - when Parliament passed the 2015 Act, they merely agreed to holding a referendum. They didn't agree to be bound by the result.

This much is so clear that the Government didn't even advance this line of argument as part of their case.
Question could be phrased in such a way as to not be contentious or offensive
Original post by Gerry Manderers

That would defeat the primary purpose- clickbait.
Reply 45
Original post by Gerry Manderers

Posting could be done in such a way as to not revive zombie threads.

Latest

Trending

Trending