The Student Room Group

Cabinet reshuffle live!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saracen's Fez
UNMOVED
Geoffrey Cox (Attorney General, Torridge and West Devon)

This is an interesting one. Cox made little secret of his contempt for the illusion of a no-deal Brexit and for the reality that the backstop is required.
IN
Rishi Sunak (Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Richmond (Yorks))

IN
James Cleverly (Party Chair, Braintree)

New cabinet looks suspiciously familiar :curious:

IN
Jacob Rees-Mogg (Leader of the Commons, North East Somerset)

Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
New cabinet looks suspiciously familiar :curious:

:rofl:

Right now, a hat is floating across heads in Westminster. :teehee:
IN

:toofunny:
IN

Yes!!! :bumps:
Original post by Wired_1800
Yes!!! :bumps:

Lol, it's kind of neutralising him in some ways - he isn't in charge of anything departmental. In many ways, it's a continuation of his long running pose of being the wise man of the Commons. The main consequence will be that he will get less casual airtime (the L of the H doesn't usually do loads of media work, too busy) and more chances to annoy the opposition with his decisions.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Lol, it's kind of neutralising him in some ways - he isn't in charge of anything departmental. In many ways, it's a continuation of his long running pose of being the wise man of the Commons. The main consequence will be that he will get less casual airtime (the L of the H doesn't usually do loads of media work, too busy) and more chances to annoy the opposition with his decisions.

I think his appointment is positive, since he has not really held a major position prior to this role. As Leader of the House, he apparently has influence in managing government business in the House. This will smoothen the way for Brexit and hopefully neutralise John Bercow.

Although I don't like the Tories, I am glad he got a role after his consistent effort to support Brexit.
Great cabinet.
Original post by Wired_1800
I think his appointment is positive, since he has not really held a major position prior to this role. As Leader of the House, he apparently has influence in managing government business in the House. This will smoothen the way for Brexit and hopefully neutralise John Bercow.

Although I don't like the Tories, I am glad he got a role after his consistent effort to support Brexit.

He has influence, but in a House where the government majority hangs by a thread, his extreme partisanship is unlikely to win many friends. His ability to control Bercow is also very limited given that all Bercow needs to do basically is allow the anti-government majorities on blocking a Hard Brexit and (possibly) calling for a second referendum to hold votes at crucial moments. Bercow and Rees-Mogg get on well usually, so it will be interesting to see how the dynamic works now.
He has influence, but in a House where the government majority hangs by a thread, his extreme partisanship is unlikely to win many friends. His ability to control Bercow is also very limited given that all Bercow needs to do basically is allow the anti-government majorities on blocking a Hard Brexit and (possibly) calling for a second referendum to hold votes at crucial moments. Bercow and Rees-Mogg get on well usually, so it will be interesting to see how the dynamic works now.

Yes, it will. Who knows, maybe JRM might have a masterplan,
Let me guess... anyone not embracing Brexit with glee is out! Might as well be at the Fuhrer's birthday bash. Wow...
Wow... the Nazis must be right... everyone here is in full support! He did the same as foreign sec. Mind boggles we fall for it all again.
(edited 4 years ago)
Surprised my MP got a role
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Well, let's see what they actually manage to achieve.

Given that the majority of parliament (our elective representatives, after all) don't seem to support them, it'll be interesting to see what they can get done.

Do you really think crashing out on 31st October is in the country's best interests?

Crashing out on the 31st is definitely not in the country's best interests.
Full list of Cabinet members:
Boris Johnson (Uxbridge S and Ruislip, Prime Minister)
Sajid Javid (Bromsgrove, Chancellor of the Exchequer)
Priti Patel (Witham, Home Sec'y)
Dominic Raab (Esher and Walton, Foreign Sec'y)
Stephen Barclay (Cambs NE, Brexit Sec'y)
Michael Gove (Surrey Heath, Chancellor of the D of Lancaster)
Ben Wallace (Wyre and Preston N, Defence Sec'y)
Liz Truss (Norfolk SW, Pres of Board of Trade and International Trade Sec'y)
Matt Hancock (Suffolk W, Health Sex'y)
Theresa Villiers (Chipping Barnet, DEFRA)
Gavin Williamson (Staffs S, Education Sec'y)
Nicky Morgan (Loughborough, DCMS)
Andrea Leadsom (Northants S, Business Sec'y)
Robert Jenerik (Newark, Housing Sec'y)
Amber Rudd (Hastings and Rye, DWP and Women and Equalities Sec'y)
Robert Buckland QC (Swindon S, Justice Sec'y)
Alok Sharma (Reading W, DFID)
Grant Shapps (Welwyn and Hatfield, Transport Sec'y)
Alun Cairns (Vale of Glamorgan, Wales Sec'y)
Julian Smith (Skipton and Ripon, NI Sec'y)
Alistair Jack (Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland Sec'y)
(The below are not officially in Cabinet but attend Cabinet meetings)
Baroness Evans (Bowes Park, Leader of the Lords)
Geoffrey Cox QC (Torridge and Devon W, Att'y Gen)
Rishi Sunak (Richmond, Chief Sec'y to Treasury)
James Cleverly (Braintree, Tory Chairman)
Esther McVey (Wirral W, MHCLG Minister)
Jacob Rees-Mogg (Somerset NE, Leader of the Commons)
Brandon Lewis (Gt Yarmouth, Home Office Minister)
Jo Johnson (Orpington, Business Dept Minister)
Oliver Dowden (Hertsmere, Paymaster Gen)

That's all, folks!
Original post by Vinny C
Let me guess... anyone not embracing Brexit with glee is out! Might as well be at the Fuhrer's birthday bash. Wow...

Godwin's Law in full effect here, ladies and gents.

Angela Leadsom did a reasonably good job and should have been given this role.

All the hidden or unpopular jobs given to women, better ones to men, it seems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending