The Student Room Group

In your experience, which unis dominate TC intake at Magic Circle and US firms?

I'm assuming this has been done to death, but here goes.
The universities in question are: LSE, UCL, KCL, Durham, Bristol and Warwick.

I've been doing quite a bit of research (the last 5 days have consisted entirely of me going through Linkedin profiles, graduate surveys and Longitudinal Education Outcomes (LEO) studies).
Now everything seems to nicely fit bar one thing.
This: https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities
This survey usually gets tossed around a lot but it seems incongruent with the other stats. How are there more trainee solicitors coming from Bristol and Durham at MC firms when a simple search on Linkedin will yield a far greater number of people from the three London unis.
Anyone care to comment on this?
Amazing thread and very interesting points. Very moving you decided to create a new account for this pressing issue. I am surprised it hasnt got many more responses. Maybe do some more research and then refocus it. You should try opening this discussion on other legal forums as well to get the widest selection of responses.
Uhh, sorry... I was just interested in where the discrepancy came from. Thanks for the response.
I am impressed with the learning and dedication that some people share on TSR. The fact it deserves a whole new account is also impressive. Not sure you get such quality posting and wisdom on the medical forum.
Thanks, would really like to see some stats on that to get a clearer picture.

Original post by 999tigger
I am impressed with the learning and dedication that some people share on TSR. The fact it deserves a whole new account is also impressive. Not sure you get such quality posting and wisdom on the medical forum.

Made a new account because I asked for the old one to be deleted (community staff also thought the name was potentially offensive, which I think is fair).
TSR seems to be a pretty corrupting influence though. Never thought I'd spend so much time thinking about such petty things (i.e. making threads about this all the time).
I'm also a total rookie when it comes to virtually anything having to do with the job market in the UK so you'll have to excuse me when I sound like a moron and ask really similar things several times.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by HarvestingSeason
Thanks, would really like to see some stats on that to get a clearer picture.

Made a new account because I asked for the old one to be deleted (community staff also thought the name was potentially offensive, which I think is fair).
TSR seems to be a pretty corrupting influence though. Never thought I'd spend so much time thinking about such petty things (i.e. making threads about this all the time).
I'm also a total rookie when it comes to virtually anything having to do with the job market in the UK so you'll have to excuse me when I sound like a moron and ask really similar things several times.

Did you make a thread about the difference between Oxbridge and then getting a first in lesser universities such as Durham or Nottingham?
Are you actually at one of these universities? Do you have a first?

I'd have thought it would be smarter to focus and learn about things you can do something about?

You know in the real world there are lots of very good firms outside the MC or US firms and the reality might not be what you think.

Get into the best uni you can and get the best degree possible. Work on your application and learn all the knowledge of how to make yourself more competitive. You can then see where you fit in the food chain and some additional research might help you narrow down which firms you might like and the ones you would hate. Money and supposed prestige doesnt always make it worthwhile if you are miserable and have no outside life. See how you get on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending