The Student Room Group

Gap year med school reapplicant- any of you in the same boat?

Hey guys!
I'm reapplying for 2020 entry medicine. What are you guys doing over the summer? I'm preparing for the UCAT, doing some volunteering, but that's mainly it. And am also s***ing myself over A-Level results day.
Feel free to discuss!

Scroll to see replies

hey! I'm in a similar position too! I am however, on a reserve list so i'm hoping and praying that that all works out although it's highly unlikely. I'm not going to start revising for UCAT until after results day I don't think because I want to figure out what i'm doing first.
This summer, I'm working and tbh, just having me time. A levels took so much of my time i'm just adjusting to normality and taking the time to enjoy binge watching netflix and hanging with friends.
However, I am learning to drive and doing all that sorts of stuff too. If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?
Reply 2
My stats when I applied last yr:
630 band 3 (literally the worst). I'm trying hard to do well this yr
A*AA predicted
7 A*s 2As GCSEs
What were your stats?
Hopefully you get in cuz it sometimes does get quite boring during a gap yr. Wish you the best for that! Never lose hope!
We can keep in touch!
Original post by Skeletonclique21
hey! I'm in a similar position too! I am however, on a reserve list so i'm hoping and praying that that all works out although it's highly unlikely. I'm not going to start revising for UCAT until after results day I don't think because I want to figure out what i'm doing first.
This summer, I'm working and tbh, just having me time. A levels took so much of my time i'm just adjusting to normality and taking the time to enjoy binge watching netflix and hanging with friends.
However, I am learning to drive and doing all that sorts of stuff too. If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?
(edited 4 years ago)
My stats were
685 band 3 (lol screwed up situational judgement but i think i made up for it with my score tbf)
A*AA predicted
GCSEs 1A* 6As 2Bs (not the best but my school was in special measures so that got me some special consideration from one of the unis)
Thank you, I really hope so! And same goes for you, don't give up! it seems that the chances of getting in successfully are greater second time round so fingers crossed!
Original post by A_J_B
My stats when I applied last yr:
630 band 3 (literally the worst). I'm trying hard to do well this yr
A*AA predicted
7 A*s 2As GCSEs
What were your stats?
Hopefully you get in cuz it sometimes does get quite boring during a gap yr. Wish you the best for that! Never lose hope!
We can keep in touch!
Reply 4
Are you working in a hospital as an assistant?
No, I wasn't able to get a place.. I will try again after results though, I need to sort out my life so bad. I'm actually so jealous of people who have a firm and insurance choice, i have a firm choice but it's my 5th ucas option and i'm not even going to take it i don't think :frown: in such a mess ahha. Wby?
Original post by A_J_B
Are you working in a hospital as an assistant?
Reply 6
Well I do volunteering at a care home. I don't have a paid job or anything like that. I'm also planning on volunteering in an hiv hospice close by
No, I wasn't able to get a place.. I will try again after results though, I need to sort out my life so bad. I'm actually so jealous of people who have a firm and insurance choice, i have a firm choice but it's my 5th ucas option and i'm not even going to take it i don't think :frown: in such a mess ahha. Wby?
Original post by A_J_B
Well I do volunteering at a care home. I don't have a paid job or anything like that. I'm also planning on volunteering in an hiv hospice close by

I'm looking into that! I am going to go back to the place where I originally went for my work shadowing hopefully, still in the process of arranging and planning. I have a paid job so I'm still working as well. I can't believe how close results are though
Reply 8
I'm looking into that! I am going to go back to the place where I originally went for my work shadowing hopefully, still in the process of arranging and planning. I have a paid job so I'm still working as well. I can't believe how close results are though

Hey how did results day go if you don't mind?
Reply 9
Original post by A_J_B
Hey guys!
I'm reapplying for 2020 entry medicine. What are you guys doing over the summer? I'm preparing for the UCAT, doing some volunteering, but that's mainly it. And am also s***ing myself over A-Level results day.
Feel free to discuss!

Hello! A really good option is to work with Yipiyap over your gap year. I did and it really helped me develop skills including things like professionalism, communication skills etc which are all great if you're going into medicine. Maybe have a look on their website and see if they're in your area.
Hey :smile: Not sure if someone's made a thread like this but I got ABB this year (A in maths, B in bio and chem) and will be resitting both biology and chemistry with the hopes of achieving an A in both. So far I know of a few universities that don't discriminate against resit applicants, themedicportal has a really good article on each university's resit policies which I based my research off! I'm an international student too btw so I guess i've got even more competition!
Reply 11
Original post by pseudo123
Hey :smile: Not sure if someone's made a thread like this but I got ABB this year (A in maths, B in bio and chem) and will be resitting both biology and chemistry with the hopes of achieving an A in both. So far I know of a few universities that don't discriminate against resit applicants, themedicportal has a really good article on each university's resit policies which I based my research off! I'm an international student too btw so I guess i've got even more competition!

I was about to make this thread.
I am also resitting for medicine but I am extremely scared of how depressing this year will be. Especially doing everything again without my friends, who were so supportive. The thought of doing the UCAT, interviews, studying 8-12 hours a day again without my friends? I don't have it in me. I want to find a network of resitters, preferably in my city (Nottingham) who are going through the same thing. I am an extrovert and a people person, I really need a support system. I got through everything with the support of my friends (who were mostly medics and dentists) and we gave each other company in the worst days of Year 13.
Reply 12
I never knew med schools accepted resits. Bit late now though.😔
Reply 13
Really? I assume you have to retake 3 A-levels at once, and if I achieved my
grades a few years ago can I still do it? There are no colleges near me which accept people over 18 onto the college course so is it possible to do a levels online?
thank you so much :smile: I'm feeling determined and motivated today haha which is good because yesterday I literally couldn't stop crying about my results. In terms of your personal statement, I was wondering how you talked about your gap year since we have to submit our applications by the 15th so there's not too much we can do until then? Did you mention your plans for your gap year or does your teacher write about that in your reference? And also for predicted grades I've shown i can achieve a B but I know lots of unis prefer an A* in at least 1 of the resitting subjects (manchester, KCL, bristol, liverpool and UEA and exeter likes A*s anyway) so I was wondering how I'd be able to get my teachers to predict me an A*A when I've only shown i can achieve BB? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Lostx
Really? I assume you have to retake 3 A-levels at once, and if I achieved my
grades a few years ago can I still do it? There are no colleges near me which accept people over 18 onto the college course so is it possible to do a levels online?

I'm pretty sure most universities allow 1 resit per subject, so if you haven't resat then you're okay I think, but don't take my word for it. I suggest emailing universities and asking them since they'd probably be able to give you a better answer!
I’ll be reapplying for medicine but won’t be resitting anything though. Literally got rejection after rejection for med school last year. I hope next year will be better 😂
Reply 17
Hi
Does anyone know a center/school that I can pay for just papers and the exam board close to London ? My school doesn't allow resist
Thanks
Original post by Seran13
Hi
Does anyone know a center/school that I can pay for just papers and the exam board close to London ? My school doesn't allow resist
Thanks

have you tried looking at private test centres?
Original post by Seran13
Hi
Thanks

That information is generally available on the exam board's website. Which bit of London?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending