The Student Room Group

Low confidence for A Level Maths

I want to do A Level Maths but my maths skills are whack. I want to improve my math skills before I start year 12 so that I'm ready for the induction test and so that I won't struggle and have a breakdown during year 12.

I just started now to work on my maths but I'm getting stuck on simple things that I should know before year 12. My confidence is quite low but I know I can improve if I work smart.

Where should I start to improve my maths before year 12?
Always start with the basic stuff and then make sure you’ve gone gone through the gcse maths course at least once because they won’t go through it in year 12. Then try some of the easier stuff on the AS course like quadratics or factorising. Just do the pure and forget about statistics or mech because l have to admit that those parts are quite hard. But do the pure stuff first if you want to practice because they ease you in nicely into AS
If you are a bit stuck with some of the GCSE stuff then maths genie is great - it has clear videos for every topic and a set of questions and answers for each one. https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html

Then maybe get the CGP book Headstart to A level maths -https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/as-and-a-level/maths/mbr71-new-head-start-to-a-level-maths and work through that.

You don't need to work on any actual A level content, but you need to be confident with the harder GCSE stuff.
Reply 3
Original post by theprettyrainbow
Always start with the basic stuff and then make sure you’ve gone gone through the gcse maths course at least once because they won’t go through it in year 12. Then try some of the easier stuff on the AS course like quadratics or factorising. Just do the pure and forget about statistics or mech because l have to admit that those parts are quite hard. But do the pure stuff first if you want to practice because they ease you in nicely into AS

Thank you! Is the basic stuff the GCSE course? Also would you recommend I do GCSE past papers to prepare for the induction test? I'm not sure what to practice for the induction test.

Will stats and mechs be covered in year 13 or does it depend on the school?
Reply 4
Original post by 2childmum!
If you are a bit stuck with some of the GCSE stuff then maths genie is great - it has clear videos for every topic and a set of questions and answers for each one. https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html

Then maybe get the CGP book Headstart to A level maths -https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/as-and-a-level/maths/mbr71-new-head-start-to-a-level-maths and work through that.

You don't need to work on any actual A level content, but you need to be confident with the harder GCSE stuff.

Thank you! I plan to buy the A Level book so I can get a head start since I know I'll probably be behind again.
What grade are you predicated for your GCSE?
So some of the hardest things in GCSE maths are the basic stuff in A level but that depends on what board you’re going to do for a level. I’d recommend checking the exam board with your school first before embarking on any revision. The induction test is just a test to see where you’re at with GCSE and show you what you do and don’t remember when it comes to the gcse course. Stats and mech are covered in both AS and A level but you don’t need to worry about that now. You’ll spend the most time on stats and mech in year 12 because they’re the ones you know the least. For revision guides, only buy a revision guide that you truly think will help you cause this year my maths department made everyone buy CGP guides for a level maths and they were useless. (For me anyways). Do some gcse papers but just use the holiday to relax really because when you truly start the a level you hit the ground running and there’s really no time to relax after.
Original post by Hiro2468
Thank you! Is the basic stuff the GCSE course? Also would you recommend I do GCSE past papers to prepare for the induction test? I'm not sure what to practice for the induction test.

Will stats and mechs be covered in year 13 or does it depend on the school?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by 2childmum!
What grade are you predicated for your GCSE?

Erm well I was predicted a grade 5 BUT from the practice papers I did after my mocks I've been consistently getting a grade 7 if that counts for anything (>_< )
Reply 8
Original post by theprettyrainbow
So some of the hardest things in GCSE maths are the basic stuff in A level but that depends on what board you’re going to do for a level. I’d recommend checking the exam board with your school first before embarking on any revision. The induction test is just a test to see where you’re at with GCSE and show you what you do and don’t remember when it comes to the gcse course. Stats and mech are covered in both AS and A level but you don’t need to worry about that now. You’ll spend the most time on stats and mech in year 12 because they’re the ones you know the least. For revision guides, only buy a revision guide that you truly think will help you cause this year my maths department made everyone buy CGP guides for a level maths and they were useless. (For me anyways)

Ahhh that does make sense! I'm doing Edexcel for A Level Maths so I'm a bit worried since the papers this year were a shamble according to lots of students.

So for the induction test to prepare for it I'll do GCSE practice papers? Thank you yet again! (^~^ )
Lol l’m doing Edexcel as well for maths. I think that as long as you’re well prepared then you can do it! Besides not gonna lie but the induction test really doesn’t affect your scores or anything. It’s just so the teachers know where you’re at. However, not to scare you but if you don’t get above a certain grade, the teachers may advise you to drop a level maths cause l remember last year, the head of maths was so savage at my school and literally told people that they should straight up drop it. So, l’d advice that you be realistic also about what you really can do in maths
Original post by Hiro2468
Ahhh that does make sense! I'm doing Edexcel for A Level Maths so I'm a bit worried since the papers this year were a shamble according to lots of students.

So for the induction test to prepare for it I'll do GCSE practice papers? Thank you yet again! (^~^ )

Quick Reply

Latest