The Student Room Group

The Grad Scheme 2018/19 Megathread!

We're well into 2019 now, and that means we're also well into the grad scheme process for 2018/19. This thread is a place for prospective grad schemers to discuss how they're getting on! :woo:

To get you started, feel free to answer any of the following:
- What are you studying?
- What roles/areas are you applying for?
- What stage are you at? E.g. looking, applying, interviewing, accepted, etc
From my side I studied Computer Science, I finished my graduate scheme 6 months, and I'm currently in a permanent role with the same company. I'm more than happy to answer any questions people might have about the process! :biggrin:
I graduated last year in Ed Psych and I am now doing my masters. I've applied for two social work schemes, was rejected from one, waiting to hear back on the second and in the process of applying for my third. I have applied for a couple of council schemes and in the process of applying for more. I know that I definitely want to go into social work but if I get rejected from those schemes I would happily work for the council.
Original post by S1elyak1
I graduated last year in Ed Psych and I am now doing my masters. I've applied for two social work schemes, was rejected from one, waiting to hear back on the second and in the process of applying for my third. I have applied for a couple of council schemes and in the process of applying for more. I know that I definitely want to go into social work but if I get rejected from those schemes I would happily work for the council.

What sort of application process do you have to go through for the council schemes? :smile:
Original post by shadowdweller
What sort of application process do you have to go through for the council schemes? :smile:

It varies between councils. One was a standard application form with competency questions and then video interview and then assessment centre with a presentation whereas the other skipped the video interview and went straight to assessment centre. One for the civil service and one of the social work ones were the most gruelling. CS required two application forms, a short test, phone interview - I got knocked out at that stage but then there was another online test and then assessment centre. The social work one was similar to CS.
What kind of sources do you use to find graduate schemes?
I will be doing my masters commencing this september 2019, and finishing in december 2020, so when would be the appropriate time to start applying?
Original post by Makashima
I will be doing my masters commencing this september 2019, and finishing in december 2020, so when would be the appropriate time to start applying?

I use indeed and the forums on here to see what jobs are around... a quick google search of grad schemes also helps. It depends what sector you want to work in when you should start applying, different companies have different deadlines. It wouldn't hurt to start looking around now at schemes/companies you wish to work for. Some will have a form you can complete where they will notify you when the scheme opens. Some schemes have a rolling deadline and will only close when enough people have passed their assessment centres (such as MI5) but others have deadlines.
Original post by Makashima

Can I ask what sector you're looking in? :smile:

In terms of when to start applying, it really depends on when you're looking to start work. If you're aiming to go straight onto a scheme after your masters, personally I'd suggest looking from September 2019 onwards - you might have to keep an eye on the start dates, as some won't work around your finish date, but I'd expect you'd be able to find some to suit. If you're looking to start in 2021 or later, then June/July 2019 or September 2020 might be your better option :yep:
What are the best resources for graduate schemes and jobs?

I'm on LinkedIn, Prospects.ac, jobs.graduate

Has anyone had any success with specific companies? Apparently auditing is the most graduate-heavy acceptance discipline
Original post by lionheart27

Has anyone had any success with specific companies? Apparently auditing is the most graduate-heavy acceptance discipline

What roles are you currently looking for? :smile:
What roles are you currently looking for? :smile:

I have a 2:1 degree and I was looking to go into something on the analytical side, preferably something scientific or business related as I've completed my prospects quiz and the top result was Analyst

However my degree isn't in a STEM related subject
I have a 2:1 degree and I was looking to go into something on the analytical side, preferably something scientific or business related as I've completed my prospects quiz and the top result was Analyst

What kind of analyst, sorry? Data analyst would be very different to business analyst, for example :tongue:

I can try and find some good boards for you tomorrow, once I have an answer to this :yep:
What kind of analyst, sorry? Data analyst would be very different to business analyst, for example :tongue:

I can try and find some good boards for you tomorrow, once I have an answer to this :yep:

Well my prospects.ac.uk quiz said I would be 92% suited to an analyst role so I'm basing it on that, but I'm really not sure

I'm open to a broad range of schemes but they have to be in a logical, fact-based type of role
Well my prospects.ac.uk quiz said I would be 92% suited to an analyst role so I'm basing it on that, but I'm really not sure

I'm open to a broad range of schemes but they have to be in a logical, fact-based type of role

I'm struggling a little bit here, I'm afraid - I think a good initial step might be to narrow down a little the kind of analyst roles you're looking at? As I say, the spectrum is large, spanning from data analyst to investment analyst, and many others, and the kinds of skills you'd need to those would be quite different.
I'm struggling a little bit here, I'm afraid - I think a good initial step might be to narrow down a little the kind of analyst roles you're looking at? As I say, the spectrum is large, spanning from data analyst to investment analyst, and many others, and the kinds of skills you'd need to those would be quite different.

Tell me where how and where you're looking so I can search for them myself then - that seems a little more logical than me relaying to you every minute bit of detail over days

Could you supply me a list of resources I could follow that aren't useless like the one's I've been using
Tell me where how and where you're looking so I can search for them myself then - that seems a little more logical than me relaying to you every minute bit of detail over days

Could you supply me a list of resources I could follow that aren't useless like the one's I've been using

I'm not looking anywhere currently, as the range is too diverse currently for me to be able to specify any resources! For clarity though, this is what I mean about the breadth of analyst roles available:

I'd suggest looking at these, and the other options available on Prospects, and seeing which one, or ones, you are most interested in :yep:
Ratemyplacement is good, although it's focused on internships many companies advertising there also have graduate schemes.
Looking on careers websites of companies you may know of or are well known in your sector, as they may do graduate schemes. E.g. for Aerospace -> Airbus, Boeing, GKN, Rolls Royce, Safran.
Recruitment agencies such as GRB who help to recruit for graduate schemes. And generic ones like Hays, Robert Walters etc.
Linkedin is very good for job searching.
Targetjobs
Gradcracker (even if you don't do STEM it gives you a good list of companies to look at)
Your careers team at university may have a spreadsheet of companies and their graduate schemes.
Lists such as https://advice.milkround.com/the-times-top-100-graduate-employers. (Go through the employers see if any interest you)
Indeed, Monster, Milkround etc also good.

I've highlighted in bold my favourites, best of luck!

Do bear in mind the websites such as graduate.jobs and prospects aren't useless it's just that large companies generally recruit graduate schemes from the start of September onwards rather than at this present time.

Do you mind if I ask what exact degree you did?

Original post by Themysticalegg
Ratemyplacement is good, although it's focused on internships many companies advertising there also have graduate schemes.
Looking on careers websites of companies you may know of or are well known in your sector, as they may do graduate schemes. E.g. for Aerospace -> Airbus, Boeing, GKN, Rolls Royce, Safran.
Recruitment agencies such as GRB who help to recruit for graduate schemes. And generic ones like Hays, Robert Walters etc.
Linkedin is very good for job searching.
Targetjobs
Gradcracker (even if you don't do STEM it gives you a good list of companies to look at)
Your careers team at university may have a spreadsheet of companies and their graduate schemes.
Lists such as https://advice.milkround.com/the-times-top-100-graduate-employers. (Go through the employers see if any interest you)
Indeed, Monster, Milkround etc also good.

I've highlighted in bold my favourites, best of luck!

Do bear in mind the websites such as graduate.jobs and prospects aren't useless it's just that large companies generally recruit graduate schemes from the start of September onwards rather than at this present time.

Do you mind if I ask what exact degree you did?

I have 2:1 in Media Studies so that would rule me out of STEM related subjects but it is quite broad

I'm better off on a graduate scheme that doesn't look for any specific degree discipline, but rather trains and accepts based on prsonality and intellectual acumen
I'm not looking anywhere currently, as the range is too diverse currently for me to be able to specify any resources! For clarity though, this is what I mean about the breadth of analyst roles available:

I'd suggest looking at these, and the other options available on Prospects, and seeing which one, or ones, you are most interested in :yep:

Thanks you've been very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending