The Student Room Group

Climate change: are we done?

I mean there's everything wrong with the world at the moment. But what I'm talking about is global warming. Heatwaves are fun and all, people get their tans and buy lollies but me, I just suspect if we are now past the point of no return. This is the hottest year I have seen so far and every year we are breaking records.
Are we done? Is this whole humanity thing over?

Scroll to see replies

1976 was an amazing summer
Original post by Sammylou40
1976 was an amazing summer

i mean at least the rolling stones and the the beatles were doing tours back then
I wasn’t old enough. And never particularly liked them much tbh.
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
i mean at least the rolling stones and the the beatles were doing tours back then
Reply 4
Shame of Britain leaves the EU I had hoped we could create an EU army and go around the world to make it a better place. Thats what armies do right?

:rolleyes:
I just suspect if we are now past the point of no return.

And emissions are only going to increase for the forseeable future. By the time China winds down and begins to stop increasing its own (probably in the first half of this century), India will ramp up its own. When India winds down, Africa (which will then have the population of Asia) will do it all over again with their industrialisation.

Heat waves will be the most benign side-effect. Swarms of mosqitoes bringing tropical diseases to Europe is next.

And don't forget all the other unrelated issues we will face - for instance, anti-bacteria resistant bacteria and vaccination rates below herd immunity both reintroducing old diseases.

Forget terraforming Mars - developed nations should hunker down underground, wait for the rest of the world to get over industrialisation and inevitably turn the Earth into a dustbowl, and then pop back up with (hopefully) advanced terraforming techniques.
Reply 6
Yes, this is the moment before the cataclysm and the horsemen, apparently they like warm weather before they ride..
i don’t think we’re “done”, but things are changing drastically and likely for the worse but unfortunately the important people who can actually make a positive change aren’t doing enough. why do you think NASA are beginning their plan to be able to sustain life on the moon and eventually other planets. in 100 years, if things don’t get better, they’ll probably relocate planets if it works out and use it as a way to make more profit, the rich people in government aren’t bothering to do anything about climate change because they don’t see it as a big deal and if worst comes to worst then they can always buy a new home in another planet eventually.
we will be 'done', the rich won't be though
no one seems to care - they just want 'the life', to relax and whatnot, have fun cos at the end of the day a human doesn't live very long. I've tried to stay optimistic by doing whatever I can to help but seeing other people not giving a **** just kills me inside, that everything I've done has been reduced to negative, like what even is the point anymore......

not to sound insane but I'm curious to see people's faces when the environment goes into the deepest of sh**s
Original post by tacobeth
i don’t think we’re “done”, but things are changing drastically and likely for the worse but unfortunately the important people who can actually make a positive change aren’t doing enough. why do you think NASA are beginning their plan to be able to sustain life on the moon and eventually other planets. in 100 years, if things don’t get better, they’ll probably relocate planets if it works out and use it as a way to make more profit, the rich people in government aren’t bothering to do anything about climate change because they don’t see it as a big deal and if worst comes to worst then they can always buy a new home in another planet eventually.

Won't work.The earth is the only planet we've got.All others are too far away to reach and too hard to terraform.Its much more feasible to work on looking after the earth than to try transforming a completely dead planet like mars.It might be doable but certainly not in 100 years.You're looking at thousands of years to terraform mars.
No we are not done. Climate change is a natural event and has happened throughout the history of this planet. We can adapt like we have done in the past or we will get space travel by then. Yes there will probably be a large proportion of the world population wiped out but there will be survivers who will have to start over again and rebuild.
I agree with you

Original post by scorpion95
No we are not done. Climate change is a natural event and has happened throughout the history of this planet. We can adapt like we have done in the past or we will get space travel by then. Yes there will probably be a large proportion of the world population wiped out but there will be survivers who will have to start over again and rebuild.
I mean there's everything wrong with the world at the moment. But what I'm talking about is global warming. Heatwaves are fun and all, people get their tans and buy lollies but me, I just suspect if we are now past the point of no return. This is the hottest year I have seen so far and every year we are breaking records.
Are we done? Is this whole humanity thing over?

It was this hot in the year 1000 and also in the Roman warm period and the Bronze age warm period.

Humans need oxygen. Trees breathe out oxygen. Trees breathe in Carbon Dioxide.

And obviously you know better than all the scientists who know there are only 60 harvests to go on earth unless we all take action now.What exactly is your evidence?
(edited 4 years ago)

Literally read the post above yours.Space travel won't help.Yes the climate changes but never this fast and hardly ever globally unless there is a major cause like a supervolcano.As for survivors I for one would prefer not to throw away the last 10000 years of civilisation.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Scotney
And obviously you know better than all the scientists who know there are only 60 harvests to go on earth unless we all take action now.What exactly is your evidence?

In that case, can you explain how you can get a mortgage for a house by the sea? The banks KNOW that Man-Made Global Warming is a scam.
Original post by KeepGoing321
It was this hot in the year 1000 and also in the Roman warm period and the Bronze age warm period.

Humans need oxygen. Trees breathe out oxygen. Trees breathe in Carbon Dioxide.

Not all over the world it wasn't.
Reply 18
What can humans do to help the problem of climate change?
What is the most detrimental effect of climate change?
It is going to be loss of pollinators so no food on land and loss of oxygen which will see off marine life and ultimately us.
Original post by JPMorgan.
What can humans do to help the problem of climate change?
What is the most detrimental effect of climate change?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending