The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

None of that matters in the real world believe me. Even those with first class degrees struggle in the real world just as much as people with third class degrees in terms of finding employment and building a life.

So don't worry too much about it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Don't get too hung up on this: you still have an honours degree, and the classification is only part of the story. Don't let it define ye.
:s-smilie: I don’t think that’s true to be honest
Original post by Loosie goosie
None of that matters in the real world believe me. Even those with first class degrees struggle in the real world just as much as people with third class degrees in terms of finding employment and building a life.

So don't worry too much about it.
Original post by Fermion.
:s-smilie: I don’t think that’s true to be honest

Well that's your opinion. I am just trying to re-assure the OP. And going to Uni and achieving a first class degree doesn't always guarantee success in the real world.
honest truth is you're screwed for the next 5 years of your life. the good news is that the world is your oyster after that and you'll have some great opportunities
Original post by Anonymous
Absolutely gutted but at least it wasn't a fail. I tried my best but I guess I wasn't clever enough.
It’s false reassurance. A person with a first class degree is more likely to gain employment than someone with a third class. It’s just facts.
Well that's your opinion. I am just trying to re-assure the OP. And going to Uni and achieving a first class degree doesn't always guarantee success in the real world.
??? I can say the same thing about you?

Yes a person will get a job with a third but not as quick as someone with a first.
So because it's coming out of your mouth that suddenly makes it a fact does it?

Don't talk nonsense.

Yes a person will get a job with a third but not as quick as someone with a first.

You might be right. And you might also be wrong. But I am not here to debate with you about this.

Also what's with the 4 question marks, it's a bit excessive?
Reply 9
Absolutely gutted but at least it wasn't a fail. I tried my best but I guess I wasn't clever enough.

Ok. Now that you have graduated you can now stsrt your own business or get a trade and mo one will give a dam whether you have a degree at all and financially you will be better off thsn most first class graduates as well!
Reply 10
Just remember you put everything into it, there's no point looking back. Onwards and upwards!
It seems like the UK judges people what or where what they got in their degree. Better off going abroad.

Someone who has a third class degree and from (nooo!) an ex-poly.

Edit: Google don't care about grades.
(edited 4 years ago)

Both brother and sister graduated with a 3rd grade and both got a job after 7months or so. So not entirely correct
Reply 13
It’s false reassurance. A person with a first class degree is more likely to gain employment than someone with a third class. It’s just facts.

These are no longer facts!. There are so many unemployed graduates with good degrees. And so many others working in irrelevant fields. The truth us that it is better to have a trade or start a business than it is to have a degree at all!
unfortunately many employers apply degree class filters to reduce the size of the interview pile. nevertheless there is no reason why you cannot have an enjoyable career with a Douglas.

Carol Vorderman left yoony with a 3rd and is now famous & wealthy ?
Most European countries don't care or even look at grades (in Denmark you don't even put your grade on your CV) - it seems to be different in the UK, but I'm still sure you can find something great!

What Uni, what course?
Hopefully it was in a respectable subject/uni. Teaching schemes!!! Your best bet. It's definitely disappointing.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by the bear
unfortunately many employers apply degree class filters to reduce the size of the interview pile. nevertheless there is no reason why you cannot have an enjoyable career with a Douglas.

Carol Vorderman left yoony with a 3rd and is now famous & wealthy ?

She had an engineering degree from Cambridge before grade inflation took off...
That's a shame OP, with a 3rd, you may as well not have done the degree

Latest

Trending

Trending