The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University grades and their equivalents

Hello,

First time poster here, sorry if this is a stupid question but i cant find what i’m looking for anywhere. I’ve tried following the documents provided by OU to work out your degree classification, but it may as well be in arabic, i really understand nothing. maybe it’s me.

anyway, i’ve just finished studying french and spanish at level 3, i got a grade 2 pass for my spanish, but the french result is still pending. going by the looks of things in the forums which show mass dissatisfaction and confusion with regards to surprisingly low results, i dont imagine i’m going to get anything higher than a low grade 2 pass, even though i’ve performed really well throughout the year, getting distinctions in my TMAs. especially since it’s still pending. i just feel like it’s going to be a disappointing grade.

i suppose my question is, what exactly does one need to achieve the equivalent to a 2:1 degree classification? a first is out of the question at this stage, but i really hoped for at least a 2:1.

acknowledging that this sounds extremely ignorant coming from a final year student, but credit calculations make no sense to me. if i were to get a grade 2 pass and a grade 3 pass, is a 2:1 still possible? or is this more likely to be a 2:2?

thanks for reading, i know i rambled a bit.
If you have a grade 2 in Spanish and end up getting a grade 3 in French, you'll graduate with a grade 2 / 2:1.

How were the Spanish EMA marks for you? I know how bad the French marking was for written but I'm curious to hear about the Spanish side.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
i’m happy enough with the spanish grades to be honest although my written EMA grade (70) was significantly lower than the rest of my TMAs which have all been around 85-90, which seems a bit suspicious, given that i poured a lot more effort and dedication into it. i thought to myself after completing the final draft ‘that’s at least a 90 for SURE’ hahah, but really i cant complain. although my french mark is still pending, i’ve seen comments expressing disappointment from students who i know to have a better ability than me, so this is why i’m anticipating a dissapointing mark.
Original post by Quick-use
If you have a grade 2 in Spanish and end up getting a grade 3 in French, you'll graduate with a grade 2 / 2:1.

How were the Spanish EMA marks for you? I know how bad the French marking was for written but I'm curious to hear about the Spanish side.
Everybody should eventually have the OU Degree Class Calculator bookmarked. You can read the OU's documentation on it, but it can get pretty confusing pretty quickly.
Reply 4
Hi yes I find the grading system really confusing. There is an OU calculator someone devised which allows to you work out your classification as level 3 results are somehow worth double level 2 so it’s very confusing. I’ve just completed level 2 with the OU for my law degree and weirdly I got an over module result of a distinction on one part yet my overall score is 81%? Yet I thought we needed 85% for a distinction. Sorry can’t be of much help but someone might be able to put the link up for the classification calculator to help you
Reply 5
dont worry youre not the only one haha! brilliant thanks for your comment! good luck!
Original post by Tuggy10
Hi yes I find the grading system really confusing. There is an OU calculator someone devised which allows to you work out your classification as level 3 results are somehow worth double level 2 so it’s very confusing. I’ve just completed level 2 with the OU for my law degree and weirdly I got an over module result of a distinction on one part yet my overall score is 81%? Yet I thought we needed 85% for a distinction. Sorry can’t be of much help but someone might be able to put the link up for the classification calculator to help you
Reply 6
brilliant thank you for the link!!
Original post by JollyCynic
Everybody should eventually have the OU Degree Class Calculator bookmarked. You can read the OU's documentation on it, but it can get pretty confusing pretty quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest