The Student Room Group

Are your tastebuds worth more than an animals life?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
just wondering, are you called tupendousConfectionery ?

tupend.png

STUPENDOUS luv. are you called the beer?
Original post by StupendousConfectionery
STUPENDOUS luv. are you called the beer?

so why are you called tupendousConfectionery on your picture thingy ? so confusing matey.
so why are you called tupendousConfectionery on your picture thingy ? so confusing matey.

055709B5-4B7C-48B3-B14D-4BD6E554C8BB.png
is tupendous even a word ?

:redface:
is tupendous even a word ?

:redface:

uh yes

9C772933-98C5-493F-B7B3-4A874D7F0741.jpeg
Of course not. We have no right to take an animals life simply to satisfy our greedy human needs.
Circle of life - when we die we become part of the soil which allows plants to grow (paraphrased original quote by Mufasa from the Lion King)
Alevels2020, the circle of life is irrelevant. Circle of life doesn’t involve factory farming, mass exploration of animals for human gain and keeping animals in cages that small they can’t turn around
Even the animals we eat are eating other animals to survive. It’s all the food web. The animals we eat (eg fish) don’t feel bad about eating other fish.
Original post by Anonymous
So I recently watched this guy make a vid about being a vegan and he brought up some valid points.
Was the question I was left with, now i'm reconsidering :/

Yes they are
Original post by StupendousConfectionery
uh yes

9C772933-98C5-493F-B7B3-4A874D7F0741.jpeg

Mate you just covered the ‘s’, it even says stupendous in an example
Original post by Matstu77
Of course not. We have no right to take an animals life simply to satisfy our greedy human needs.

Do animals have a soul? We have authority over them because they are just animals, by saying this you then bring up the point an animals life is just as valuable as a humans life
Original post by 17t.martin
Even the animals we eat are eating other animals to survive. It’s all the food web. The animals we eat (eg fish) don’t feel bad about eating other fish.

That’s because they don’t have conscious thinking, it’s what sets humans apart from the animal world
Original post by Anonymous
So I recently watched this guy make a vid about being a vegan and he brought up some valid points.
Was the question I was left with, now i'm reconsidering :/

Your anonymous as well which says a lot
Original post by TheWiseFool
Vitamin B12 Only found in meat again (though I could be wrong on this one) causes abnormalities in the blood if not taken in at a high enough rate.

A lack of Vitamin D3 appears to lead to an increase of; cancer, heart disease and depression.

Clearly, meat is very, very beneficial and that's just a few examples. It's very hard to live a healthy life without some supplements to replace meat. However, I'm not saying it's impossible.

Vitamin B12 can also be found in animal products such as milk and eggs so while vegetarians don't have much higher deficiency rates than the general population, vegans will need to take supplements. However these are readily found in health food shops and similar so as long as you are aware, not a concern.

I would strongly disagree that "It's very hard to live a healthy life without some supplements to replace meat" as such supplements can be found very easily and vegetarian/vegan alternatives eg. tofu usually contain iron, protein and other necessary nutrients found in meat. However I will admit that these dietary choices aren't particularly accessible to people outside middle and upper classes, just compare a £1.99 burger from McDonalds to proper meat free food from a supermarket or homemade meals for example.
This point also assumes that people with an omnivorous diet are healthy and eat a balanced diet. I find this a funny phenomenon, the general population don't make such open and 'concerned' comments about nutrition until someone says they are cutting meat and/or animal products out of their diet, despite research repeatedly showing vegetarians and vegans on average are much healthier, eat a more balanced diet and have lower rates of suffering from conditions such as cardiovascular disease.

As for OP, it depends on their reasons for becoming vegetarian, some simply don't like the tase of meat anyways, for others (like me) the detrimental impacts of mass consumption of meat on the environment are enough (reduce the demand, reduce the supply) and if you care strongly about animal welfare, I'm sorry but you absolutely can not continue to consume meat without being plagued by hypocrisy. It is hubris to claim humans can "control" the food chain in a sustainable manner. Sure, if everyone went vegan overnight it would be a huge problem but that will never happen and there will always be a large portion of the population who continue to consume meat. instead, the slow (which it is) movement towards vegetarianism/veganism will reduce the demand and therefore less meat will be supplied, animals wouldn't be bred and killed in as large quantities as they are but populations would not "boom then collapse".
Original post by Greywolftwo
Mate you just covered the ‘s’, it even says stupendous in an example

:eek:
Original post by NoTearsLeftToCry
:eek:

I know right, shocker 😉
Original post by Greywolftwo
I know right, shocker 😉

i was meant to use the angry one
Original post by NoTearsLeftToCry
i was meant to use the angry one

I don’t understand
Original post by lol.yolo
Vitamin B12 can also be found in animal products such as milk and eggs so while vegetarians don't have much higher deficiency rates than the general population, vegans will need to take supplements. However these are readily found in health food shops and similar so as long as you are aware, not a concern.

I would strongly disagree that "It's very hard to live a healthy life without some supplements to replace meat" as such supplements can be found very easily and vegetarian/vegan alternatives eg. tofu usually contain iron, protein and other necessary nutrients found in meat. However I will admit that these dietary choices aren't particularly accessible to people outside middle and upper classes, just compare a £1.99 burger from McDonalds to proper meat free food from a supermarket or homemade meals for example.
This point also assumes that people with an omnivorous diet are healthy and eat a balanced diet. I find this a funny phenomenon, the general population don't make such open and 'concerned' comments about nutrition until someone says they are cutting meat and/or animal products out of their diet, despite research repeatedly showing vegetarians and vegans on average are much healthier, eat a more balanced diet and have lower rates of suffering from conditions such as cardiovascular disease.

As for OP, it depends on their reasons for becoming vegetarian, some simply don't like the tase of meat anyways, for others (like me) the detrimental impacts of mass consumption of meat on the environment are enough (reduce the demand, reduce the supply) and if you care strongly about animal welfare, I'm sorry but you absolutely can not continue to consume meat without being plagued by hypocrisy. It is hubris to claim humans can "control" the food chain in a sustainable manner. Sure, if everyone went vegan overnight it would be a huge problem but that will never happen and there will always be a large portion of the population who continue to consume meat. instead, the slow (which it is) movement towards vegetarianism/veganism will reduce the demand and therefore less meat will be supplied, animals wouldn't be bred and killed in as large quantities as they are but populations would not "boom then collapse".

‘Research showing Vegetarians and vegans eat a more balanced diet’ - you contradict yourself, a balanced diet contains all things from the food pyramid and all food groups whereas they don’t eat meat so it isn’t a balanced diet if they only eat things without animal products in them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending