The Student Room Group

What to do in the summer before year 12

Just finished my GCSEs and now i don't really have anything to do.
For those that have gone through year 12 and year 13, what did you wish you had done? what should i do to best prepare for year 12?
Reply 1
Having just finished A-levels, I have no regrets about not doing any work whatsoever during the summer before year 12. It would not have been necessary in the slightest.
Reply 2
thanks, its just that my friends have already brought the textbooks and are revising so i'm just there like...
Original post by Sinnoh
Having just finished A-levels, I have no regrets about not doing any work whatsoever during the summer before year 12. It would not have been necessary in the slightest.
Reply 3
Original post by Hey its me
thanks, its just that my friends have already brought the textbooks and are revising so i'm just there like...

They'll just be bored to f*** in the first term then
Honestly, just enjoy yourself whilst you have nothing to do. Personally I enjoyed doing projects around the house like DIY, gardening, painting the bannisters, gates, summer house etc. You could also think about doing some volunteering (I helped out in the library a bit) or work (some of my friends got temp jobs at a local theme park).

I did some A-level work during the summer but by the time we covered those topics I'd forgotten them lol.
(edited 4 years ago)
what i did: absolutely not one thing
do i regret it: nope
did this destroy a levels for me: again, nope.

relax.

you'd wish you did anyways when the workload comes in september. I'd say when september hits, start making revision notes from the first day, make sure you understand the content properly, and do lots of past papers. Can't go wrong.
In yr 13, ucas and uni open days.
have fun!! like do lots of things you love, try not to stress about results day and don't sit and work; you need a break:smile:
Do some volunteer work somewhere.
Or get a part time job to earn yourself a bit of cash.
I finished the work set from induction and reading books and watching the shows my teachers have recommended. I personally wouldn't find revising from the textbooks helpful at all during this summer without the help of a teacher or tutor :/ I'm also volunteering and doing some work experience. Just relax lol
Original post by Hey its me
Just finished my GCSEs and now i don't really have anything to do.
For those that have gone through year 12 and year 13, what did you wish you had done? what should i do to best prepare for year 12?

Complete any summer work, if moving school check youv'e done the same GCSE exam boards and optional topics if not try to briefly go through topics you missed (highlighting briefly, you'll be caught up anyway but it still helps to have a vague idea). Keep up to date on the latest news/programmes etc. surrounding your subject. However most importantly have fun! It's Summer and you've just worked hard for GCSEs you deserve a break! Make the most of everyday, meet up with those you might not be going to school with next year. If you are changing schools then find someone from that school who you can perhaps walk in with on the first day. They can introduce you to some people and show you around the school (it also helps with nerves!) Prepare yourself to dive into all opportunities sixth form brings but know when to take a break and refresh yourself😊 For example try and get homework done in frees etc. This can free up time elsewhere.
Hope some of this applies/is helpful.
I'm going into year 13 studying Geography, Biology, Chemistry and EPQ
use this time to relax whilst you can :hugs:
you deserve it after GCSEs!!!!
Original post by Flyingleopard5
Complete any summer work, if moving school check youv'e done the same GCSE exam boards and optional topics if not try to briefly go through topics you missed (highlighting briefly, you'll be caught up anyway but it still helps to have a vague idea). Keep up to date on the latest news/programmes etc. surrounding your subject. However most importantly have fun! It's Summer and you've just worked hard for GCSEs you deserve a break! Make the most of everyday, meet up with those you might not be going to school with next year. If you are changing schools then find someone from that school who you can perhaps walk in with on the first day. They can introduce you to some people and show you around the school (it also helps with nerves!) Prepare yourself to dive into all opportunities sixth form brings but know when to take a break and refresh yourself😊 For example try and get homework done in frees etc. This can free up time elsewhere.
Hope some of this applies/is helpful.
I'm going into year 13 studying Geography, Biology, Chemistry and EPQ

How's EPQ? Also what exam board are you doing please? I'm thinking of taking it but I can't think of any good ideas(I thought of an idea but I don't think it's allowed).
EPQs good, I'm Edexcel😊 the question can be on anything as long as it is an open question (not a simple yes/no). Isn't too narrow or wide and you are passionate about it, what did you have in mind?

Quick Reply

Latest