The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I had my 1st GAMSAT night mare last night.I'm hoping to go to Notts as I live locally and might have kids by 2021. Got a BNurs and a PgDip in Public Health already so I'm hoping I won't need to do more work exp
Hi. Is this chat still active ? I’ll be applying for graduate entry medicine in October 2020 for entry in October 2021 too. It’d Be nice to keep in touch with people in the same position as me
Original post by lottieelot
Hi. Is this chat still active ? I’ll be applying for graduate entry medicine in October 2020 for entry in October 2021 too. It’d Be nice to keep in touch with people in the same position as me

Hi! Yeah the chat is still active! I’ve just not been checking my emails for a while as I’ve been busy with uni so apologies for all those who have been kind enough to reply to the thread! It’s great to hear so many are thinking of applying for 2021 entry :smile: have you started any preparation yet (I.e. work experience)? I’ve done a fair amount, I’m just worried I haven’t done enough yet even though I’m planning more lol!
Original post by bsy9
Hi all,

Hope that the degrees are all going well. I’m now on the other side of the GEM application process and I’m currently selling my GAMSAT materials, if anyone is interested pm me. I didn’t use the standards ones and went with Berkeley review and Examkrackers MCAT books as the reasoning skills are the same and the question banks far bigger than the available GAMSAT ones.
If anyone wants any advice (not pretending to be the guru of all things GAMSAT), I got 72 (65,79,73) on first time around so I’m happy to share the benefits of my experience if you think it’d help. I
Good luck with uni and your applications when you get there!
😊

How many months do you recommend for GAMSAT prep and what materials do you recommend? The courses are expensive - do you recommend any courses?
Hi guys, I'm Luke. I'm 21 and I've only just decided to chase my dreams of doing medicine. I always wanted to but when I got a B in biology in year 10, my career's adviser and I both assumed it was for people much smarter than me, and so I stuck with what I found easiest (English).

GCSE: 8 As, 2 Bs

A Level: English Lang A, Media A, Film A, Creative writing A, EPQ A

And now on the home stretch of an incredibly easy, incredibly dull English Language degree. Predicted 2:1, a first would be optimistic, but it's in reach. Unfortunately since I dropped sciences at A Level I'm feeling a bit behind to be even looking at med school. Going to try working through the basics on Khan Academy.

I've got no experience in clinical or care settings yet, but I'll work on that over summer. The GAMSAT sounds crazy hard, so I'm allowing for an extra year to study after uni (but ideally I wouldn't need it). I'm looking at Swansea, their course sounds the most like what I'm after. I live closer to London, but probably couldn't afford to live there and study. My parents choked hard enough when i asked them to loan me for the two years of med school my student loan won't cover!

Nervous and excited about the whole thing, would love to meet others going the GEM route, especially those going from completely random fields, like humanities lol.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi @Royal Oak,

Just to clarify, we currently only offer a four-year course (MBBCH Medicine (Graduate Entry)). If anyone has any questions about our course by all means get in touch :smile:

Jamie
This is from UCAS' website:
The number of years for which you are eligible for funding is calculated as:
Length of current course + one year years of previous study

Since my English degree will be 3 years, and the new course 4 years (plus the extra 1), that should be enough loan to cover two years of the GEM (but not the other two) unless I'm mistaken.
Oh, that's really great news! Thanks so much for sharing :biggrin:
Hi! I know I’m late to this thread but I was wondering if anyone had any idea on how to get shadowing placements in GP surgeries/hospitals?

I’m looking to apply for 2022 GEM entry (I’m very early!) so I’ll be looking to gain some shadowing experience within the next year.
Hi! I was quite fortunate to be able to get shadowing experience at the 1st GP practice I emailed by emailing the practice manager but I understand this isn’t the case for everyone, so all I can suggest is to keep emailing as many GP practices around your area as possible, stating that you’re wanting to apply to medical school - I’m sure some will take you on :smile: I would also email the HR of local hospitals too, or if they have a volunteering scheme/charity at your local hospital too, deffo try that as well! For A&E shadowing that I did, I just emailed HR and they put me through to the appropriate people to sort some work experience. I was also lucky to see that York hospital has a volunteering charity that allows you to volunteer in certain roles on the wards - it’s a fantastic experience that I would highly recommend. But if this isn’t possible, care home volunteering and even hospices are also a fantastic opportunity. It’s just getting in contact with the right person :smile:

It’s never to early to start preparing I don’t think - it’s better to know that medicine is what you 100% want, plus it gives you the chance to take your time through the application process. I started preparing and looking at unis and whatnot before I even started my 1st degree! Good luck with everything!
Original post by emilileigh
Hi! I know I’m late to this thread but I was wondering if anyone had any idea on how to get shadowing placements in GP surgeries/hospitals?

I’m looking to apply for 2022 GEM entry (I’m very early!) so I’ll be looking to gain some shadowing experience within the next year.
Reply 30
Hi ginabpk
I'm taking the gamsat in September 2019 can I ask if you took the gamsat in March 2019 as you mentioned it earlier in your post. Of so how did you find it??
Original post by ginabpk
Hi! I was quite fortunate to be able to get shadowing experience at the 1st GP practice I emailed by emailing the practice manager but I understand this isn’t the case for everyone, so all I can suggest is to keep emailing as many GP practices around your area as possible, stating that you’re wanting to apply to medical school - I’m sure some will take you on :smile: I would also email the HR of local hospitals too, or if they have a volunteering scheme/charity at your local hospital too, deffo try that as well! For A&E shadowing that I did, I just emailed HR and they put me through to the appropriate people to sort some work experience. I was also lucky to see that York hospital has a volunteering charity that allows you to volunteer in certain roles on the wards - it’s a fantastic experience that I would highly recommend. But if this isn’t possible, care home volunteering and even hospices are also a fantastic opportunity. It’s just getting in contact with the right person :smile:

It’s never to early to start preparing I don’t think - it’s better to know that medicine is what you 100% want, plus it gives you the chance to take your time through the application process. I started preparing and looking at unis and whatnot before I even started my 1st degree! Good luck with everything!
Hi! I originally signed up for the March sitting, but I cancelled it as I was finding it difficult to revise for with uni, personal/family problems and mental health difficulties. Sorry I couldn’t be much help! Good luck for the September sitting! :smile:
Original post by Rari
Hi ginabpk
I'm taking the gamsat in September 2019 can I ask if you took the gamsat in March 2019 as you mentioned it earlier in your post. Of so how did you find it??
Hello all, I have decided to finally chase my dream of applying to GEM after taking a year out post graduating from Biology. I could put together an application for 2020 entry but I think it'll be a bit rushed so I'm going to focus on 2021 entry instead.

GCSEs: 4As 5Bs 2Cs
A-Levels: BBC (Art Business and English)
Science Foundation Year: Pass
BSc Biology: 2:1

Currently I'm applying for jobs and work experience and am trying to find somewhere to take me for A-Level Chemistry exams!
Reply 33
Original post by ginabpk
Hi! I originally signed up for the March sitting, but I cancelled it as I was finding it difficult to revise for with uni, personal/family problems and mental health difficulties. Sorry I couldn’t be much help! Good luck for the September sitting! :smile:

I'm so sorry to hear about all your troubles. This is my third time taking the Gamsat so hopefully third time lucky. First time I had no idea what to expect so my scores were really not good. Second time I didn't study the way I should have due to uni work and exams. But time I am giving it my all and hope for the best.
Okay so, just wondering everyone's thoughts on this... is it worth me grabbing a cheap (old) UKCAT book to get extra practice in (2015) or should I not bother? I'm just thinking maybe the types of questions won't be too different, but also that it may just get me in to the rhythm of it as a starter, OR is it not worth bothering?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by georgialharper
Hello all, I have decided to finally chase my dream of applying to GEM after taking a year out post graduating from Biology. I could put together an application for 2020 entry but I think it'll be a bit rushed so I'm going to focus on 2021 entry instead.

GCSEs: 4As 5Bs 2Cs
A-Levels: BBC (Art Business and English)
Science Foundation Year: Pass
BSc Biology: 2:1

Currently I'm applying for jobs and work experience and am trying to find somewhere to take me for A-Level Chemistry exams!

Hi there! Nice to see someone else also thinking of 2021 entry - sounds like a good plan taking a year out, least you can make sure your application is top notch to give yourself the best chance :smile: what uni's are you thinking of applying to?
Well done on the amazing stats, they're impressive! Where are you thinking of applying to for work experience? You're a lot braver than me re-taking A-levels lol! Good luck with everything and make sure to keep us updated! :smile:
Original post by Rari
I'm so sorry to hear about all your troubles. This is my third time taking the Gamsat so hopefully third time lucky. First time I had no idea what to expect so my scores were really not good. Second time I didn't study the way I should have due to uni work and exams. But time I am giving it my all and hope for the best.

Thank you, that means a lot :smile: you're so much braver than I am, I couldn't even cope doing the GAMSAT once lol! It's a hideous exam. Hopefully now you'll be able to learn from your mistakes and see where you went wrong. Thats what I'm hoping to do with the UCAT. I'm taking it in August as a trial/practice run for next year, so if i do really bad this time, I'm hoping I can learn from it for when it really matters :smile: wishing you the absolute best of luck in your revision and for when you sit it. Keep us updated! :smile:
Original post by georgialharper
Okay so, just wondering everyone's thoughts on this... is it worth me grabbing a cheap (old) UKCAT book to get extra practice in (2015) or should I not bother? I'm just thinking maybe the types of questions won't be too different, but also that it may just get me in to the rhythm of it as a starter, OR is it not worth bothering?

I don't see what harm it would do - at the end of the day, the more practice you do, the better chance you stand when it comes to sitting the real thing. The only thing is, in 2015, DM as it is now was DA (decision analysis), so you may have to find a more recent book or sources to help with DM - I strongly recommend medify! But, honestly, as much practice as possible can't be bad :smile:
Original post by Ginabpk10
Hi there! Nice to see someone else also thinking of 2021 entry - sounds like a good plan taking a year out, least you can make sure your application is top notch to give yourself the best chance :smile: what uni's are you thinking of applying to?
Well done on the amazing stats, they're impressive! Where are you thinking of applying to for work experience? You're a lot braver than me re-taking A-levels lol! Good luck with everything and make sure to keep us updated! :smile:

Hi Gina!
That's what I thought too, I don't wanna hash together something for the sake of it! I'm looking at Newcastle, Nottingham, St George's, Swansea and Warwick, you? Thank you so much for that, I had a hard time during college cause I was really not enjoying it (my maths teacher said I wasn't smart enough to do medicine and that I'd get an E (I got a B so THERE)) haha!

How about you? Where are you looking? I think as well as opening some more potential opportunities for entry, it would defo just boost my confidence in chemistry! I'm currently applying for paid HCA jobs and have a porter interview on Friday, I've applied to help at SJA, work experience coming up with a physio and an orthopaedic surgeon, and I also run a community local theatre company (random I know)

I sure will! I'll be all over this thread haha!
Original post by Ginabpk10
I don't see what harm it would do - at the end of the day, the more practice you do, the better chance you stand when it comes to sitting the real thing. The only thing is, in 2015, DM as it is now was DA (decision analysis), so you may have to find a more recent book or sources to help with DM - I strongly recommend medify! But, honestly, as much practice as possible can't be bad :smile:

That's what I was thinking at the end of the day, practice practice practice! But yes, that's a v good point and something to be aware of for the current year I'll take it (2020) and I'll definitely look into medify!

Latest