The Student Room Group

Car accident, don’t think it was my fault!

So, yesterday I got into a little accident. I was in the left hand lane and this Uber driver was in the right hand lane. I didn’t realise both lanes merged into one (arrows pointing into my lane) and so he started driving towards my lane and I’m thinking what the hell is this guy doing he’s not indicating. So he went straight into the back of my car! He got out shouting saying it was my fault and saying I hit his car. Me being the idiot that I am thought it was my fault and apologised. He wasn’t a very pleasant man and this is my first time in an accident and I was alone so I wasn’t sure what to do. He also said he had it on camera but I messaged him later asking for the footage and he said he’s not sure he has it and wants to go through it. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnniceS23
So, yesterday I got into a little accident. I was in the left hand lane and this Uber driver was in the right hand lane. I didn’t realise both lanes merged into one (arrows pointing into my lane) and so he started driving towards my lane and I’m thinking what the hell is this guy doing he’s not indicating. So he went straight into the back of my car! He got out shouting saying it was my fault and saying I hit his car. Me being the idiot that I am thought it was my fault and apologised. He wasn’t a very pleasant man and this is my first time in an accident and I was alone so I wasn’t sure what to do. He also said he had it on camera but I messaged him later asking for the footage and he said he’s not sure he has it and wants to go through it. Any advice?

If he went into the back of your car, it's nearly always his fault. He's going to have to have some very convincing footage to say otherwise. Write down a clear description of what happened yourself in case it's needed and don't get into any private conversation with him. Tell him you will only deal with insurers, do not agree to go privately to a garage etc, chances are he will back down.

So unless you were reversing! how can you have hit his car. He hit you. It is his fault. He says he has footage. He may have but he is trying to bully you. As previous poster says write it all down with timings. Do a little diagram too.

I had an accident where I was squeezing past someone turning right.... I was to the left.... perfectly legal. A car was bombing over the hill behind us and hit me and the car I was passing. The car who was turning right had the cheek to accuse me. Guessing because I was the only female of the three.
As other posters have said if he hit into the back of you it's usually going to be him at fault..he's just trying to scare you
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
If he went into the back of your car, it's nearly always his fault. He's going to have to have some very convincing footage to say otherwise. Write down a clear description of what happened yourself in case it's needed and don't get into any private conversation with him. Tell him you will only deal with insurers, do not agree to go privately to a garage etc, chances are he will back down.

I thought so! Afterwards I was like woah wait a second. I honestly thought it was my fault because I didn’t know the lanes merged as I didn’t know the area but I was literally driving straight in my lane.. He came towards me so. I’m going to sort this all with my insurance today! Thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by squeakysquirrel
So unless you were reversing! how can you have hit his car. He hit you. It is his fault. He says he has footage. He may have but he is trying to bully you. As previous poster says write it all down with timings. Do a little diagram too.

I had an accident where I was squeezing past someone turning right.... I was to the left.... perfectly legal. A car was bombing over the hill behind us and hit me and the car I was passing. The car who was turning right had the cheek to accuse me. Guessing because I was the only female of the three.

Haha I know! He rang me afterwards but I was driving so my friend answered and he was being such an ******* I could hear him shouting down the phone. Saying it was my fault and we can either go through insurance or he can give me a good deal 😂 funny thing is the damage to my car is so minor and I only got it for £500 so I couldn’t really care less tbh but he was an Uber driver so he was pissed 😬
And wow that sounds crazy!! Definitely not your fault! Thanks for your reply 😊
Reply 6
Just tell your insurance company what happened and they sort it out. At the accident scene there is no sense in debating liability, just swap contact details, insurance company info if known and take photo. These things happen.
Reply 7
So you didn't merge in turn like the Highway Code tells you to do, and therefore an accident occured?

I'm struggling to see how he hit you from behind in this instance???

Streetview please.
Reply 8
Agree I would expect side impact. I guess you still have to decide who is liable for not following the merge in turn guidance which usually requires both sides to show a bit of maturity rather than the typical everyone's your enemy on the road approach.
it is quite likely that he does not have the correct insurance for his Uber work. he sounds dodgy af.
Reply 10
Original post by the bear
it is quite likely that he does not have the correct insurance for his Uber work. he sounds dodgy af.

Uber checks insurance details regularly.

Original post by Zarek
Agree I would expect side impact. I guess you still have to decide who is liable for not following the merge in turn guidance which usually requires both sides to show a bit of maturity rather than the typical everyone's your enemy on the road approach.

Realistically the driver in an overtaking lane should have priority if merge in turn was followed sensibly.
Reply 11
Don't think the Highway Code says this mind and I think you could also consider that the overtaking driver is changing lane as their lane is discontinuing and so should give way.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Zarek
Don't think the Highway Code says this mind and I think you could also consider that the overtaking driver is changing lane as their lane is discontinuing and so should give way.

Neither has priority, but in the unwritten rules of the road, common sense says you should let the driver on the right merge to allow the traffic to flow, then everyone behind proceed to zip merge.

If they're in the overtaking lane, they should be overtaking, so at a higher speed than the left lane - I'd say that applies at traffic lights too.

If OP decided to speed up as to not let them in, I'd say they were being a ****, but not necessarily contravening any written rules.

I still don't understand how the other driver hit them in the back in this scenario.
Reply 13
Sorry it wasn’t in the back it was above the rear wheel!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
I spoke to my insurance and the lady said since he tried to merge into my lane it’s most likely his fault as he clearly hadn’t looked in his side view mirror 🤷🏻*♀️
Reply 15
I spoke to my insurance and the lady said since he tried to merge into my lane it’s most likely his fault as he clearly hadn’t looked in his side view mirror 🤷🏻*♀️

Expect it to be settled 50/50.

Sounds like you sped up when you saw someone trying to merge correctly.
Reply 16
Original post by IWMTom
Expect it to be settled 50/50.

Sounds like you sped up when you saw someone trying to merge correctly.

I was literally driving the same speed and going straight but 😂 tbh I wasn’t aware that the lanes merged into one which I probably should have known... I would have slowed down to let him in if I knew but I had no idea and didn’t see the markings til I drove forward and pulled over. I know the blame isn’t entirely on the guy but he was an absolute ass though!! It was just that we were still in two separate lanes when it had happened and it hadn’t merged yet so I was confused.
Reply 17
I was literally driving the same speed and going straight but 😂 tbh I wasn’t aware that the lanes merged into one which I probably should have known... I would have slowed down to let him in if I knew but I had no idea and didn’t see the markings til I drove forward and pulled over. I know the blame isn’t entirely on the guy but he was an absolute ass though!! It was just that we were still in two separate lanes when it had happened and it hadn’t merged yet so I was confused.

I think you should try and be more aware of your surroundings... Looking at the photograph you've sent over, it's pretty obvious the lanes merge.
Original post by threeportdrift

And don't mention the 5 pints you had just consumed as that somehow makes it all your fault even if it wasn't.
What part of the other car is damaged?

Quick Reply

Latest