The Student Room Group

Newcastle A100 2020 Entry

Welcome to the Newcastle University A100 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a100/#courseoverview

For entry requirements click: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a100/#entryrequirements

Newcastle A100/A101 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6331642

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey guys, anyone considering NUmed Malaysia this year?
Yes, so I’m guessing they give interviews based on ABB predictions and the ukcat cutoff. Are they selective on whom they give an interview or do they just give to everyone who meets the minimum requirements?
Original post by GANFYD
This is on their website?
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/schools/partners/apply/
Yes, Partners need ABB predicted and to be above whatever the UCAT cut off is for interview
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous_000
Yes, so I’m guessing they give interviews based on ABB predictions and the ukcat cutoff. Are they selective on whom they give an interview or do they just give to everyone who meets the minimum requirements?

They decide how many they want to interview, let's say 200 and the UCAT cut off is the score of the 200th person, everybody above that is interviewed, everybody below it is rejected
Oh ok so the aim is to get the highest ukcat score as possible. Do you recommend anything special for the ukcat in Terms of revision material, I have mind in a month and I want a technique that works and not waste time spending time on one that works. Thanks for the help btw, really appreciate it.
Original post by GANFYD
They decide how many they want to interview, let's say 200 and the UCAT cut off is the score of the 200th person, everybody above that is interviewed, everybody below it is rejected
Reply 5
Oh ok so the aim is to get the highest ukcat score as possible. Do you recommend anything special for the ukcat in Terms of revision material, I have mind in a month and I want a technique that works and not waste time spending time on one that works. Thanks for the help btw, really appreciate it.

Everybody will find a technique that works best for them, there is no "one size fits all". Most people feel Medify is the best way to prepare
Original post by GANFYD
Everybody will find a technique that works best for them, there is no "one size fits all". Most people feel Medify is the best way to prepare

Yes was considering medify and the 1250 questions book. Thanks a lot for the help.
Reply 7
Hi, Medify for me was the best way to practice because of the large amount of practice tests and the time limits which help imitate the real thing. The format also prepares you for what it would be like in the real test whereas a book can't.
Yes was considering medify and the 1250 questions book. Thanks a lot for the help.
Thank you I was considering medify alongside the book as I have the book already. I just need to get a good score and practice as much as I can.
Original post by DR2000
Hi, Medify for me was the best way to practice because of the large amount of practice tests and the time limits which help imitate the real thing. The format also prepares you for what it would be like in the real test whereas a book can't.
You know the 1250 questions book for the ukcat (Isc) , is it complicated than the actual thing. Because with abstract reasoning I seem to get little to no answers right.
Original post by GANFYD
Reply 10
You know the 1250 questions book for the ukcat (Isc) , is it complicated than the actual thing. Because with abstract reasoning I seem to get little to no answers right.

You are better off asking this in the UCAT thread. The general consensus over the years is that the 1250 book is harder than the real exam, yes. Although none of the preparation sites are perfect, people seem to think Medify is closest to the real thing
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
You are better off losing their in the UCAT thread. The general consensus over the years is that the 1250 book is harder than the real exam, yes. Although none of the preparation sites are perfect, people seem to think Medify is closest to the real thing

Oh ok thank you, the abstract patterns seem quite hard and in some cases in realistic.
Original post by GANFYD
You are better off losing their in the UCAT thread. The general consensus over the years is that the 1250 book is harder than the real exam, yes. Although none of the preparation sites are perfect, people seem to think Medify is closest to the real thing

sorry to disturb you but somethings really concerning me. I don’t need have the best GCSE’s and my a level predictions are most likely going to be ABB, do I have a chance on the partners programme, if I meeting the ukcat threshold? I heard Newcastle don’t look at GCSE’s, is that’s true? And will they accept me with the ABB considering I have met the ukcat threshold? Has there been others with similar cases as me?
Reply 13
sorry to disturb you but somethings really concerning me. I don’t need have the best GCSE’s and my a level predictions are most likely going to be ABB, do I have a chance on the partners programme, if I meeting the ukcat threshold? I heard Newcastle don’t look at GCSE’s, is that’s true? And will they accept me with the ABB considering I have met the ukcat threshold? Has there been others with similar cases as me?

Newcastle do not look at GCSEs. If you are accepted on to the PARTNERS scheme then you need ABB predicted and after that selection for interview is just done using UCAT score, which historically has been around the 650 mark for PARTNERS (though there is no guarantee it will be again this year, you are competing against everybody else who applies on PARTNERS). This happens for lots of people every year
Original post by GANFYD
Newcastle do not look at GCSEs. If you are accepted on to the PARTNERS scheme then you need ABB predicted and after that selection for interview is just done using UCAT score, which historically has been around the 650 mark for PARTNERS (though there is no guarantee it will be again this year, you are competing against everybody else who applies on PARTNERS). This happens for lots of people every year

If I get predicted ABB and I meet the criteria of the Partners Scheme, would I be disadvantaged of getting on the partners scheme in comparison to those people who have applied with AAB, or will they just focus on my ukcat once Iv got the minimum prediction of ABB?
Reply 15
If I get predicted ABB and I meet the criteria of the Partners Scheme, would I be disadvantaged of getting on the partners scheme in comparison to those people who have applied with AAB, or will they just focus on my ukcat once Iv got the minimum prediction of ABB?

No, provided you meet the minumum requirements they do not look at academics any further and selection is based in UCAT score
Original post by GANFYD
No, provided you meet the minumum requirements they do not look at academics any further and selection is based in UCAT score

Thanks a bunch, I was confused to whether they take higher grades into consideration in comparison to lower ones.
Hi, how much emphasis do Newcastle put on the personal statement? Is it a huge part of the selection process?
Reply 18
Original post by earl2334
Hi, how much emphasis do Newcastle put on the personal statement? Is it a huge part of the selection process?

The interview invites are based on whether the applicant meets minimum entry requirements, and then UCAT score. Applicants are ranked by UCAT score to be invited to interview. They use MMI, and the interviewers do not have access to your PS or reference before or during the interview. Offers are then made primarily based on interview performance.
^Paraphrased from their admissions policy. So it does not appear that they assess the personal statement
Reply 19
Original post by smscku
The interview invites are based on whether the applicant meets minimum entry requirements, and then UCAT score. Applicants are ranked by UCAT score to be invited to interview. They use MMI, and the interviewers do not have access to your PS or reference before or during the interview. Offers are then made primarily based on interview performance.
^Paraphrased from their admissions policy. So it does not appear that they assess the personal statement

Correct. They review it for “red flags” before making an offer, but as long as you haven’t mentioned the axe murdering and meth kitchen you’ll be fine 😛

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending