The Student Room Group

BDO Graduate applicants-2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by extraice
Hi - I have been invited to complete the first online test, the situational strengths test. I know this might seem obvious to some but I have failed a couple of online assessments based on these (I think, as I believe I did well in the numerical tests) - I was wondering if you know what strengths BDO are looking for to be reflected in these tests? ie. if a question about taking on a new project comes up and they mention scenarios of working independently and working as a team, what is more important to BDO? If you have any tips or can recall any of your answers from the situational strengths that would help a lot, as I believe these are a bit more of a grey area as opposed to clearly right or wrong numerical and reading tests.

Just an update on this as I completed the tests without awaiting a response, and passed - I would agree this was arguably the "easiest" SJT out of the top 10 firms I have applied for in terms of there being some more clear, obviously undesirable responses.

I will post a brief overview of my experience incase anyone, like me, has been struggling with SJT's.

Using The Guardian UK 300 List, BDO's core skills required are listed as: Ability to work under pressure / Attention to detail / Commercial awareness / Communication skills / Creativity / Initiative / Leadership Potential / Meeting Deadlines / Motivation / Organisational Skills / Problem Solving Skills / Teamwork Skills

This skills listed in bold are listed as such in The Guardian.

Then utilising these, if a situation arose involving these skills, particularly the bolded skills, they would be ranked higher than other responses.

Specific examples from the tests I can remember include a couple of scenarios regarding attending a training course or an industry talk. I therefore made my responses extremely receptive to attending these, as they relate to the commercial awareness core skills.

Another question involved incorporating new information into a report you had completed, in which I responded being receptive to incorporating new information into the report despite it already being finished.

The following question involved a mistake being identified in said report after sending it off to the client. I responded saying I inform the client and take accountability for my own mistakes, and other responses along those lines.

The final question involved organising a social to celebrate with a small group. I low ranked scenarios involving choosing the same venue as last time and choosing the venue myself, and high ranked scenarios involving approaching the group in person / emailing the group to get a consensus / providing a list of top venues and getting the team to vote on their favourite - all of these clearly show team working skills.

There was a lot of reference to "Nicola", your fictitious manager. Generally, I ranked responses involving going to her for help towards the bottom of the list, as I did not think it would be desirable to heavily rely on your manager.

There was 16 questions in total, and obviously the above is not comprehensive of the entire test.

Hope this helps for anyone that might need it, as from my own research, there was not a lot of info out there regarding the very first online assessment, and know this can be quite daunting as there are no right or wrong answers, as opposed to the other tests.
I failed the numerical reasoning test. Really confused as found the questions to be incredibly straight forward, and to my knowledge I got 12/12 correct answers in a relatively fast amount of time. Very disheartened and confused as I don't know how I could have failed, unless I was not quick enough. Hopefully the feedback report that is due to be sent will give a breakdown of my results...
Is there anyone else who’s passed the online video interview and waiting to hear back about an assessment centre date?
May I know how long does it take for BDO to reply you after the video interview submission? :smile:
Original post by brzoeyef
May I know how long does it take for BDO to reply you after the video interview submission? :smile:

If I remember right it took several weeks after submission of the video interview before I heard back
Reply 65
Does anyone have an offer from BDO for London? Would like to talk to some other people who have offers :smile:
In the process of applying for the auditing position in london - just got through to the video interview stage. Any advice on what kind of questions theyre asking? Ive heard theyre typical why BDO, why service line, strengths weaknesses, why team work etc?

Any insight ? :smile: Gratz on your offer btw!
Original post by BEllenK
Does anyone have an offer from BDO for London? Would like to talk to some other people who have offers :smile:
Reply 67
sorry for the long reply! You are right in that they are strengths based, I did mine so long ago but from what I can remember you are right in saying why BDO, why this stream, give example fo team work etc - look at the strengths they assess (they tell you in the email) and then think of an example of when you have demonstrated each strength would be my advice! Sorry if you've done it already - if you haver how did it go?

And thank you!
Original post by ImASnek
In the process of applying for the auditing position in london - just got through to the video interview stage. Any advice on what kind of questions theyre asking? Ive heard theyre typical why BDO, why service line, strengths weaknesses, why team work etc?

Any insight ? :smile: Gratz on your offer btw!
Original post by DiamondArtist
Hi I just recently got an offer from BDO so if anyone wants any tips I'll gladly help :-) I applied to school leaver but I did a grad BDO Assessment centre because of a space being open after someone dropped out - so I was invited the night before the AC. I've also got 3 other offers if anyone wants help on any other application processes.

Hi please could you give me some info on the general assessment centre format and what to expect ? I’ve applied for tax graduate xx
Original post by BEllenK

Hey, do you know the general format of the assessment centre ? I’ve applied for tax graduate role and have been told to bring a calculator ? However there’s no mention of us having to do the online test all over again? Do you know what it’s used for in particular ?
Original post by Haffymaffy123
Hi please could you give me some info on the general assessment centre format and what to expect ? I’ve applied for tax graduate xx

I'll PM you :-)
Original post by extraice
Just an update on this as I completed the tests without awaiting a response, and passed - I would agree this was arguably the "easiest" SJT out of the top 10 firms I have applied for in terms of there being some more clear, obviously undesiragble responses.

I will post a brief overview of my experience incase anyone, like me, has been struggling with SJT's.

Using The Guardian UK 300 List, BDO's core skills required are listed as: Ability to work under pressure / Attention to detail / Commercial awareness / Communication skills / Creativity / Initiative / Leadership Potential / Meeting Deadlines / Motivation / Organisational Skills / Problem Solving Skills / Teamwork Skills

This skills listed in bold are listed as such in The Guardian.

Then utilising these, if a situation arose involving these skills, particularly the bolded skills, they would be ranked higher than other responses.

Specific examples from the tests I can remember include a couple of scenarios regarding attending a training course or an industry talk. I therefore made my responses extremely receptive to attending these, as they relate to the commercial awareness core skills.

Another question involved incorporating new information into a report you had completed, in which I responded being receptive to incorporating new information into the report despite it already being finished.

The following question involved a mistake being identified in said report after sending it off to the client. I responded saying I inform the client and take accountability for my own mistakes, and other responses along those lines.

The final question involved organising a social to celebrate with a small group. I low ranked scenarios involving choosing the same venue as last time and choosing the venue myself, and high ranked scenarios involving approaching the group in person / emailing the group to get a consensus / providing a list of top venues and getting the team to vote on their favourite - all of these clearly show team working skills.

There was a lot of reference to "Nicola", your fictitious manager. Generally, I ranked responses involving going to her for help towards the bottom of the list, as I did not think it would be desirable to heavily rely on your manager.

There was 16 questions in total, and obviously the above is not comprehensive of the entire test.

Hope this helps for anyone that might need it, as from my own research, there was not a lot of info out there regarding the very first online assessment, and know this can be quite daunting as there are no right or wrong answers, as opposed to the other tests.

great reply! i followed this and passed!
Hey, thanks for providing this! I am waiting on the link to do my VI. Just wondering roughly how many questions there were and how long are you given to answer them? Were there any business related questions like how you would make the company more profitable? or any about commercial awareness? I have applied for audit.

Thanks so much!!
Original post by BEllenK
sorry for the long reply! You are right in that they are strengths based, I did mine so long ago but from what I can remember you are right in saying why BDO, why this stream, give example fo team work etc - look at the strengths they assess (they tell you in the email) and then think of an example of when you have demonstrated each strength would be my advice! Sorry if you've done it already - if you haver how did it go?

And thank you!
Reply 73
No worries! i think there are 6 questions and they are strength based questions (they tell you in the email the strengths they assess) so just think of examples of when you have demonstrated these strengths and you should be good! I think enthusiasm and general interest comes across well so try and read a bit about the business area and think about why youre interested in it
Original post by angryteen
Hey, thanks for providing this! I am waiting on the link to do my VI. Just wondering roughly how many questions there were and how long are you given to answer them? Were there any business related questions like how you would make the company more profitable? or any about commercial awareness? I have applied for audit.

Thanks so much!!
Oh ok, I was expecting way more! That's good theres only around 6 haha. I am still waiting on my email for the link, hopefully it doesn't take too much longer to come! Would you mind forwarding your email on to me or just sending me the strengths they mentioned so I can prepare ahead of time?
Thank you so much for the insight, I really appreciate it!
Original post by BEllenK
No worries! i think there are 6 questions and they are strength based questions (they tell you in the email the strengths they assess) so just think of examples of when you have demonstrated these strengths and you should be good! I think enthusiasm and general interest comes across well so try and read a bit about the business area and think about why youre interested in it
Who here has secured a graduate role for December at BDO?:smile: just curious as I’m starting in December but only come across people starting in September so far ?
Original post by Haffymaffy123
Who here has secured a graduate role for December at BDO?:smile: just curious as I’m starting in December but only come across people starting in September so far ?

Hey, any tips on the AC? particularly the interview, if you can remember any qs? and tips for the presentation? Thanks! have my AC tomorrow
Reply 77
How did your AC go? As well how quick did you hear back after completing the video interview?
Reply 78
It took about 12 days for me to hear back after completing my video interview
hey lads, what is the BDO critical judgement test like? what kind of questions? much appreciated. I applied for audit 2020 london

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending