The Student Room Group

IBM Apprenticeships 2019

Scroll to see replies

I've been waiting for just about a month now and i'm starting to feel anxious D:
Original post by ofske
Does anyone have any idea on the maximum wait time possible after passing your AC?

I have been in touch with the recruitment team twice just to clarify I am still in the 'matching pool' which I apparently am, but am beginning to get concerned I am lost in the system so to speak.

Today marks 3 months since I had my AC and was informed I had passed! I know the matching pool can take a while to fulfill but is this long a wait normal?

Just hoping for any advice or experience anyone else has in this process? My only feedback for IBM would be to keep applicants more involved in this part of the application process as it feels somewhat helpless and unknown!
I've been told that the intake this year is closing and what they will do is review whoever is in the matching pool now and see whether the roles they expect to come up next year are suitable for your skills, then they decide whether or not to keep you in the pool or not.

Does anyone know where most IBM apprentices are based?
Original post by bushra1175
I've been waiting for just about a month now and i'm starting to feel anxious D:
Hi there, I'm also in the matching process, after going through the AC day around a month ago. From what I have seen on other threads on the apprenticeship from previous years is that it can take from 3 weeks to 5 months until you get a final interview, and this can depend on when you applied, and whether IBM managers can find a role that matches your profile in their database.

This is what I understand from reading the email after the AC, and what someone from IBM HR posted on a similar thread a couple of years ago:

(Original post by IBM UK Careers)

"Hi there all!

Thank you for your comments. We just wanted to help clarify these topics you are discussing.

After passing an Assessment Centre (AC) your CV, AC Feedback and Role/Base Location Preferences are added onto a central database within IBM, which all of our Hiring Managers (with roles all over the UK) have access to. On the database, they will review applicant details for suitability to their role(s). If and when we hear from a manager that they would like to Interview a candidate, we will be in touch to arrange this. As a result of this process, we cannot specify a timescale on this, as it differs for each candidate on a case-by-case basis but we do fully appreciate your patience throughout.

Please note, completing the Assessment Centre is not a guarantee that we have a suitable position available for you nor it is a guarantee the business will wish to proceed with your application. Additionally, it is not a guarantee that we will offer you a position unless you successfully complete a Business Interview. Please note, you need to take this final stage in the process seriously, by preparing for subsequent Interviews. "

If you're waiting on A-Level results, it may be worth waiting until they come out until following them up on your application. I have seen other applicants say that they have been notified if their application is going to be pushed to the intake the following year, hope this kinda helps :smile:
@applebot Thank you so much! I hope I get pushed for the next intake.

They’d only push your application if they think it’s worth it and you’d get offers right? Because that’s my only issue in declining my other offer from another company and waiting for IBM. Don’t want to have false hope.
Original post by iinsomniac
@applebot Thank you so much! I hope I get pushed for the next intake.

They’d only push your application if they think it’s worth it and you’d get offers right? Because that’s my only issue in declining my other offer from another company and waiting for IBM. Don’t want to have false hope.

That's true, I guess if you have an offer with a deadline you're probably going to have to start to weigh up your options- it may be a good experience to build yourself up for applying to IBM later on if you decide to take the other offer. But then again if they haven't contacted you about not giving you a role, they must consider you a strong enough candidate to keep you in the matching pool!

I'm in a similar situation, so I relate a bit to the dilemma of leaping for the first offer or waiting it out ( ̄ー ̄;
Have you heard back from them after your AC? I'm still in the matching pool.
(edited 4 years ago)
It's been almost 2 months for me and I haven't had contact with IBM since my AC
Original post by applebot
It's been almost 2 months for me and I haven't had contact with IBM since my AC

One month for me, I'm doing business management. You?
Original post by HeroinAddict
One month for me, I'm doing business management. You?

I've applied to Digital and Technology Solutions, not too confident though :smile:
Its been a month and a half from me and I haven't heard back from IBM since the AC either but I did ask whether my applications has progressed but just been told its still in the matching pool. Starting to get a little worried now cause its nearing results day and I'm wondering whether I should just go to Uni or continue to wait with the hope that I will hear back from them soon.
Original post by Mimi3032
Its been a month and a half from me and I haven't heard back from IBM since the AC either but I did ask whether my applications has progressed but just been told its still in the matching pool. Starting to get a little worried now cause its nearing results day and I'm wondering whether I should just go to Uni or continue to wait with the hope that I will hear back from them soon.

Yeah I'm exactly the same, I think it might be worth enquiring again once A Level results have come through :smile:
Yeah I'm exactly the same, I think it might be worth enquiring again once A Level results have come through :smile:

I wish they were a little more transparent with the matching pool process.

I have to agree with that, but I guess half of it is to be expected with how big of an organisation they are
Hi guys, just wanted to let you all know that I was in the matching pool/process for an entire 12 MONTHS before I finally landed the degree apprenticeship I was after! It takes a while - there is virtually 0 communication from IBM until they have a final interview for you. (I emailed multiple times to make sure I wasn’t forgotten about lol)

Some people wait a month, some wait a year! It’s whether you can deal with the wait or whether you’d rather get on with something else! :smile:
Original post by hurricane27
Hi guys, just wanted to let you all know that I was in the matching pool/process for an entire 12 MONTHS before I finally landed the degree apprenticeship I was after! It takes a while - there is virtually 0 communication from IBM until they have a final interview for you. (I emailed multiple times to make sure I wasn’t forgotten about lol)

Some people wait a month, some wait a year! It’s whether you can deal with the wait or whether you’d rather get on with something else! :smile:

That's great advice actually, thanks for that!

Yeah you’re right. I’m gonna do that. I really want this but it’s a bit hard when your just in limbo and haven’t really heard from them. And nothing is really guaranteed.

I agree. Especially when nothing is guaranteed.
Reply 77
If it provides comfort, I haven't received an interview offer since passing the AC in April. I contacted IBM twice but all they can say is that I'm still in the matching pool and, in all honesty, I don't expect the recruitment team to know when I could possibly be selected or even advise me in what I should do in the elapsing time. I should note that this is for the Digital and Technology Solutions Degree Apprenticeship. In the meantime I have acquired a job in IT and have taken it upon myself to learn Python, so at least if and when the day comes that I am selected, I will be in a more favourable position going into an interview than if I had been selected promptly.

I had already received my A-level grades before applying, which were not as high as expected; I didn't even get an A grade. Thus, I knew I had to show my true skills and ability throughout the entire application process. I thought that this was perhaps the reason I had not been selected yet, and it could well be, but knowing that this (waiting) isn't an uncommon problem puts my mind at ease a little.
Reply 78
Does anyone know whether applications are still open?
Hi everybody,
Got an email today from the good folks over at IBM. Unfortunately, I didn't make it past the matching pool. I just want to take the time and congratulate everyone who passed the pool I know that stuff is nervewracking.

If anyone's curious I did my AC in early July, and only received the result today.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending