The Student Room Group

Cannabis 'to be legalised in the UK' within five to ten years, say MPs

A group of cross-party MPs who've been on a fact-finding trip to Canada predict the UK will fully legalise cannabis use within five to ten years.
Canada became the first G7 country to allow recreational use of the drug in 2018.
Of the three politicians in the group one had a significant shift in his position.
Labour's David Lammy now backs legalisation, against his party's official stance.

Read more here.

Scroll to see replies

Long overdue; I’ll be surprised if it happens though
Good.
Sad, drug dealers and users need far harsher punishments.
Brilliant, I look forward to the rise of people with psychosis that our cut to the bone psychiatric facilities can't cope with.
Funny how sugar I drinks and smoking is demonised but this is ok 🤔 we don't need another drug alcohol is bad already
Thats nice, but cannabis is one of the least problematic drugs, I think there needs to be more urgency in takling drug deaths which cannabis obviously doesn't contribute towards. Decriminalise Heroin and get some drug rooms going already.
Reply 6
Original post by -Eirlys-

predict

Important word here.

What they've said has zero legislative bearing.

Your thread title is misleading, too.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Sad, drug dealers and users need far harsher punishments.

What’s harsher than prison time? What’s next? Life sentences for using drugs?
Original post by -Eirlys-

A group of cross-party MPs who've been on a fact-finding trip to Canada predict the UK will fully legalise cannabis use within five to ten years.
Canada became the first G7 country to allow recreational use of the drug in 2018.
Of the three politicians in the group one had a significant shift in his position.
Labour's David Lammy now backs legalisation, against his party's official stance.

Read more here.

Three MPs out of 650 and one of them being David Lammy who is down there with being one of the buggs wats around.
Dont see it, unless and until medical advice from the chief medical officer changes.
a longer prison time?
Original post by Professional G
If its legalised via prescription then its helpful to those who need it and dont abuse it
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
If its legalised via prescription then its helpful to those who need it and dont abuse it

Already has been, patients still finding it very hard to get though.
I'm all for it being prescribed, not sure about legalisation. Have to find out how it has helped in US states, Uruguay etc, didn't Portugal allow it?

You do realise that many people who are caught doing cannabis are not prosecuted.
Original post by AperfectBalance
You do realise that many people who are caught doing cannabis are not prosecuted.

I do realise but why should they get tougher sentences especially if it means prison time?
Original post by CoolCavy
Brilliant, I look forward to the rise of people with psychosis that our cut to the bone psychiatric facilities can't cope with.
Funny how sugar I drinks and smoking is demonised but this is ok 🤔 we don't need another drug alcohol is bad already

I doubt it'll cause an increase in drug use. If people want to smoke weed they'll smoke it, whether it's legal or not. It's probably the easiest illegal substance to get hold of. You also have to assume that if it's legal then it can be purchased via regulated outlets, and be a pure product and not laced with all sorts of s*** that messes with your brain. This is the biggest problem with drugs and why I think all drugs should be legalised, regulated and sold via legitimate outlets. It should still be illegal to sell it without a licence.
Original post by Obolinda
a longer prison time?

This is a bit flawed. What’s stopping people from using drugs again even after prison time?
not saying I agree with it, it's just an answer to how you could enforce a harsher punishment.
This is a bit flawed. What’s stopping people from using drugs again even after prison time?
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I doubt it'll cause an increase in drug use. If people want to smoke weed they'll smoke it, whether it's legal or not. It's probably the easiest illegal substance to get hold of. You also have to assume that if it's legal then it can be purchased via regulated outlets, and be a pure product and not laced with all sorts of s*** that messes with your brain. This is the biggest problem with drugs and why I think all drugs should be legalised, regulated and sold via legitimate outlets. It should still be illegal to sell it without a licence.

Lets be honest the only reason the government wants to legalise it is so they can tax it
We do not need another drug and should be cracking down on sources of the drug rather than allowing it. Weed is disgusting, it smells horrible and causes mental health issues. If people want to smoke it i have no sympathy for them when they experience hallucinations etc, i just dont want mental health services impacted even more especially when ive had to wait months to see a psych and a year to get therapy over MH issues that are not self inflicted.
Drugs are disgusting and should not be legalised. Alcohol is bad enough as it is
East London is gonna stink of weed. then I'll know I'm living in a ghetto. lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending