The Student Room Group

Cannabis 'to be legalised in the UK' within five to ten years, say MPs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Professional G
I do realise but why should they get tougher sentences especially if it means prison time?

Because they are committing a crime and funding illegal activities.
Cannabis is significantly less harmful than alcohol and indeed most legal prescription drugs .
Original post by CoolCavy
Brilliant, I look forward to the rise of people with psychosis that our cut to the bone psychiatric facilities can't cope with.
Funny how sugar I drinks and smoking is demonised but this is ok 🤔 we don't need another drug alcohol is bad already
Lets be honest the only reason the government wants to legalise it is so they can tax it
We do not need another drug and should be cracking down on sources of the drug rather than allowing it. Weed is disgusting, it smells horrible and causes mental health issues. If people want to smoke it i have no sympathy for them when they experience hallucinations etc, i just dont want mental health services impacted even more especially when ive had to wait months to see a psych and a year to get therapy over MH issues that are not self inflicted.
Drugs are disgusting and should not be legalised. Alcohol is bad enough as it is

Which I see nothing wrong with, it'd aid the economy. As for cracking down on sources, it's an unrealistic option. One is taken down, another crops up, it's an endless battle. The only way to end the war on drugs is to make drugs legal and sold via outlets, thus running the dealers out of business.

I mean, sure, I disagree with drug use in itself and don't understand why people need to do it, but the fact is that people want to do it, other people will always find a way of supplying it, so it can't be stopped. You might as well make the best of a bad situation, acknowledge that this is the way it is and try to tackle the problem of impure products and drug related crime, which legalising it would do, and at the same time as you said, it'd be taxable, which would be good for the economy.

As for it clogging up waiting times and using resources in the medical field, it's impractical just to ban things for doing that. Cardiovascular problems stemming from poor self care, such as being obese, are the leading causes of health problems in the UK and a huge contributor to the strain on the NHS - we can't just start jailing people for being overweight if it was their choice to not exercise enough or eat well enough, so we shouldn't jail people for deciding to put illicit substances into their own bodies.
(edited 4 years ago)
This as well. Ironically, many drugs used to treat mental health issues are potentially harmful to one's brain chemistry.
It's still harmful, am not in favour of alcohol either but i know its never going to go away. If it was found today we would have outright banned it for its harmful effects. If people want to ruin their health there is a plethora of things already around without legalised cannabis thrown into the mix
Prescription drugs have side effects but they are taken because they help with some kind of health issue otherwise they wouldnt be prescribed, the health benefits outweigh the side effects. People just smoke cannabis to get high and act a **** at least that's how it appears at uni. Apparently there are health benefits to some of the components in cannabis so those have been extracted as cannabis oil and that is now legal, there is no need to legalise the whole thing which contains harmful elements

Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Which I see nothing wrong with, it'd aid the economy. As for cracking down on sources, it'd an unrealistic option. One is taking down, another crops up, it's an endless battle. The only way to end the war on drugs is to make drugs legal and sold via outlets, thus running the dealers out of business.

I mean, sure, I disagree with drug use in itself and don't understand why people need to do it, but the fact is that people want to do it, other people will always find a way of supplying it, so it can't be stopped. You might as well make the best of a bad situation, acknowledge that this is the way it is and try to tackle the problem of impure products and drug related crime, which legalising it would do, and at the same time as you said, it'd be taxable, which would be good for the economy.

As for it clogging up waiting times and using resources in the medical field, it's impractical just to ban things for doing that. Cardiovascular problems stemming from poor self care, such as being obese, are the leading causes of health problems in the UK and a huge contributor to the strain on the NHS - we can't just start jailing people for being overweight if it was their choice to not exercise enough or eat well enough, so we shouldn't jail people for deciding to put illicit substances into their own bodies.

I can understand that and that's why i think it's inevitable it will be legalised much as i disagree with it
Am also not saying they should be denied care its just frustrating that something that is known to cause psychosis is being legalised on top of an already failing MH system. With obesity sugary drinks and fast food have been targeted in terms of advertising and taxation but this is being promoted by the government. The government is not promoting obesity its much the opposite.
(edited 4 years ago)
This as well. Ironically, many drugs used to treat mental health issues are potentially harmful to one's brain chemistry.

I take prescription drugs for MH issues, the choice is to be debilitated and take nothing which would probably end up in my death or take them to alleviate some of the symptoms and experience some side effects which may or may not cause some issues down the line.
Obviously the ideal would be to take nothing but the illness makes that impossible. Same with physical illnesses although no-one ever attacks drugs for those
I agree; health wise speaking you could do a lot worse than cannabis

It's still harmful, am not in favour of alcohol either but i know its never going to go away. If it was found today we would have outright banned it for its harmful effects. If people want to ruin their health there is a plethora of things already around without legalised cannabis thrown into the mix
Prescription drugs have side effects but they are taken because they help with some kind of health issue otherwise they wouldnt be prescribed, the health benefits outweigh the side effects. People just smoke cannabis to get high and act a **** at least that's how it appears at uni

I can understand that and that's why i think it's inevitable it will be legalised much as i disagree with it
Am also not saying they should be denied care its just frustrating that something that is known to cause psychosis is being legalised on top of an already failing MH system. With obesity sugary drinks and fast food have been targeted in terms of advertising and taxation but this is being promoted by the government. The government is not promoting obesity its much the opposite.

Cannabis has virtually no side effects apart from getting the munchies and is very pleasant to smoke. The death rates due to alcohol abuse and prescription drug misuse are astronomical whereas it’s nearly impossible to overdose on cannabis. That’s without getting into the cost to the NHS through alcohol and liver damage. If we had an alternative that’s less harmful I don’t see why that’s a bad thing?

You are very innocent if you think people smoke cannabis just to get high. I’ve known a number of people suffering from cancer who smoked cannabis to relieve their pain which prescription drugs didn’t touch. The good thing is the cannabis doesn’t give you any nasty side effects like prescription pain killers either
I dont agree with alcohol either, it wont be used as an alternative it will be used as it currently is in conjunction
I am aware that some people use cannabis for health reasons that's why i mentioned CBD oil, that already exists to treat health issues legally without the increased risk of psychosis that you get from high strength cannabis. Fact is if it didnt get people high and give them an enjoyable feeling its use would be much less wide spread, i have seen this first hand at uni, whole areas stink of distinguishing cannabis.
We arent going to agree on this so there isnt much point in continuing
High strength cannabis gives people issues because it’s laced with synthetic lab made compounds that are dangerous. Natural cannabis has no such danger; if cannabis was legalised, regulated and taxed then the issue of it being spiked with man made crap is then reduced, so you see now?
I dont agree with alcohol either, it wont be used as an alternative it will be used as it currently is in conjunction
I am aware that some people use cannabis for health reasons that's why i mentioned CBD oil, that already exists to treat health issues legally without the increased risk of psychosis that you get from high strength cannabis. Fact is if it didnt get people high and give them an enjoyable feeling its use would be much less wide spread, i have seen this first hand at uni, whole areas stink of distinguishing cannabis.
We arent going to agree on this so there isnt much point in continuing
I dont need to see i have my opinion and you have yours which is just as valid as mine. You wont change my mind drugs are deplorable
Okay 👍🏻
I dont need to see i have my opinion and you have yours which is just as valid as mine. You wont change my mind drugs are deplorable
Original post by -Eirlys-

A group of cross-party MPs who've been on a fact-finding trip to Canadaye predict the UK will fully legalise cannabis use within five to ten years.
Canada became the first G7 country to allow recreational use of the drug in 2018.
Of the three politicians in the group one had a significant shift in his position.
Labour's David Lammy now backs legalisation, against his party's official stance.

Read more here.

about time
I take prescription drugs for MH issues, the choice is to be debilitated and take nothing which would probably end up in my death or take them to alleviate some of the symptoms and experience some side effects which may or may not cause some issues down the line.
Obviously the ideal would be to take nothing but the illness makes that impossible. Same with physical illnesses although no-one ever attacks drugs for those

Which I totally get you taking and it's the lesser of two evils, just like some people smoke weed to relieve their stresses, or even to combat physical pain. As I said also, the problem with cannabis that can cause psychological problems is what it's laced with to make it more potent, not actually cannabis itself. I still wouldn't say crap foods are totally discouraged by the government, we see ads for junk food on TV all day every day. I'd imagine the government upon legalising drugs would, just like they do with sugar and other harmful food substances, publish very clear guidelines on the potential harm of what's being taken. They could even set up a scheme where you have to attend a short awareness course to obtain a licence to legally buy drugs.
The common argument when it comes to the legalisation of cannabis is three things: I) it is "good for our economy" II) it is "better than alcohol" and III) it causes mental health problems. I'm just going to say this, I've only met two-three people in my life who smoke it a lot but from the twelve or so others I've met, the rest were degenerates and street wannabes. The legalisation of cannabis is an incredibly dangerous move as it will cause a rise in the diagnosis of many mental health problems, the NHS even states that those who smoke it in their teen years are extremely likely to develop schizophrenia in their young adult years [1].

Now for the economical perspective. If cannabis was legalised, the government would make a fortune off of it but not for long. At the moment, cannabis is a fad and a lot of vulnerable teens and young adults are following its consumption as a means of self image. This is the main reason why there is the "it's better than alcohol" argument because they're doing it for their image (while most of those people are hypocritical as they probably get drunk at parties). Eventually, cannabis will be like cigarettes in the future. Before, there were many cartoons and adverts encouraging the smoking of cigarettes but nowadays, smoking a cigarette is frowned upon and seen as dangerous. This will happen in the future with cannabis as everyone will realise it isn't good for you, especially when there is a surge in the rate of mental health diagnoses, especially the unforeseen issues of dementia. When that time comes, it won't be profitable. This also relates to the Business Cycle. Investors will then ignore cannabis and invest in the next product/item that booms and a fad is developed under it.

That's the only reason why people who want it legalised are willing to make money off of it because they know teens are over consuming it and they want to make laws in their power to profit off of it heavily. Marx pointed this out as capitalism likes to do this in order to make a huge amount of money than what drug dealers are making (by the way I'm not a communist/Marxist but some of the stuff he said is true). The main problem with Cannabis is that people who do drugs have this little complex where they believe that they're becoming more "cooler" and improving their self-image. They also want to try more drugs especially, benzodiazepines (such as Xanax) which are an extremely dangerous drug and anyone studying biology or psychology knows this. So, by legalising cannabis, you don't solve much other than making a bunch of business people more wealthier because people will start abusing other drugs.

Legalising it will also see a surge in market saturation which will cause all these vulnerable people to seek out "something new" which I believe will most definitely be Xanax. At the moment, more people are trying it and talking about it on social media. I warn you all, it will be the next big thing that people will be getting high off of. In the past it was cocaine, heroin, crack and opium. In the future, it will be Xanax.

TLDR; Just don't do drugs
(edited 4 years ago)
The thread title is the same as the news article's title.
Original post by Drewski
Important word here.

What they've said has zero legislative bearing.

Your thread title is misleading, too.
Reply 35
Original post by AperfectBalance
Sad, drug dealers and users need far harsher punishments.

Pray tell why users need far harsher punishments?
Original post by AperfectBalance
You do realise that many people who are caught doing cannabis are not prosecuted.

Because its a waste of time and money. Strangely enough the legal system and the police have better things to do than arrest some teens smoking a joint. Unless you'd prefer they divert resources away from actual crimes like rape, murder, assault etc?
Reply 36
You wont change my mind drugs are deplorable

Why might one ask? I mean the idea that they're overtly dangerous is essentially a modern invention, both literally with people tinkering with these various chemicals and plants and through our mindset on the matter. I mean you used to be able to buy heroin, meth etc. in your local chemist no problem.
4-9 years too late, if you ask me.
Original post by Napp
Pray tell why users need far harsher punishments?

Because its a waste of time and money. Strangely enough the legal system and the police have better things to do than arrest some teens smoking a joint. Unless you'd prefer they divert resources away from actual crimes like rape, murder, assault etc?

Actually, smoking cannabis is one of the factors which does lead to rape, murder and assault. The drug messes with the person's mental state which leads them to carry out dangerous acts, especially rape and murder. It is usually common that most gang members who kill others will smoke cannabis before carrying out the murder in order to calm themselves and prepare. This is the same with alcohol as it is also another factor in leading to rape and assault. Most alcoholics beat their wives and children. If anyone says "oh weed is just better than alcohol and more safer lul" then they're not thinking straight.

My main question is, why do people want it legalised so badly? investors provide a suitable answer, "because I can make profit off of it off tax", but what about those who aren't investors?
Reply 39
Original post by DR.DOOM
Actually, smoking cannabis is one of the factors which does lead to rape, murder and assault. The drug messes with the person's mental state which leads them to carry out dangerous acts, especially rape and murder. It is usually common that most gang members who kill others will smoke cannabis before carrying out the murder in order to calm themselves and prepare. This is the same with alcohol as it is also another factor in leading to rape and assault. Most alcoholics beat their wives and children. If anyone says "oh weed is just better than alcohol and more safer lul" then they're not thinking straight.

You seem to be confusing causation and correlation. I have not once heard someone allege weed 'causes rape and murder' nor heard of a study to that effect.

My main question is, why do people want it legalised so badly? investors provide a suitable answer, "because I can make profit off of it off tax", but what about those who aren't investors?

Because it is a spectacular drain on police resources and the justice sector. If it brings in some extra cash for the exchequer more the merrier. Not to mention it would completely undercut drug dealers and thus bring the industry under the purview of government oversight which in turn would make it safer - much less of a chance the government would be willing to tolerate the various breeding programs that have led to the strength going through the roof.
Then again i dont overly care one way or the other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending