The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C.Goodyear
She was not protesting against their rights of expression she was protesting because she believes homosexuality is wrong. I don't see any inherent contradiction from her and I respect the rights of both of them. She probably just genuinely believes that homosexuality is wrong or damaging so she should express what she believes in.

so you think her actions were appropriate?
Original post by res ipsa loq
so you think her actions were appropriate?

Yes, even though I don't personally agree it doesn't mean her thoughts are less valid.
She was not protesting against their rights of expression she was protesting because she believes homosexuality is wrong. I don't see any inherent contradiction from her and I respect the rights of both of them. She probably just genuinely believes that homosexuality is wrong or damaging so she should express what she believes in.

She was being very agressive, not to mention rude and intollerant. She lost on decency and costume - her's was rubbish.

What would happen if I went to a Muslim event and started agressively explaining how stupid it is to believe the Quran? I suspect that it would end in violence.
Original post by RogerOxon
She was being very agressive, not to mention rude and intollerant. She lost on decency and costume - her's was rubbish.

What would happen if I went to a Muslim event and started agressively explaining how stupid it is to believe the Quran? I suspect that it would end in violence.

Of course not, they will politely and patiently listen to your points and then respond with logical counter-arguments. Muslim males in particular are very calm and respectful of other points of view.
Original post by Wired_1800
I am just pointing out the discrepancy.

There is no discrepancy.Religion has been a source of homophobia for centuries.Even in non-religious people today it's still often left- over homophobia from our christian heritage.When you see a woman in a Burka, an extreme manifestation of Islam,shouting about gays and Adam and eve; you don't have to be Sherlock to see the link.
Original post by Alexty28
Stop using the f word because its becoming completely meaningless.

Seems an appropriate word here.She sees people doing something going against her beliefs and her reaction is to try to stop them doing that thing.Thats totalitarian.Facists are often extremely totalitarian.
Of course not, they will politely and patiently listen to your points and then respond with logical counter-arguments. Muslim males in particular are very calm and respectful of other points of view.

I've heard they also appreciate satirical cartoons featuring their guy
I would have thought you would have approved of this behaviour?
Original post by Leviathan1611
coward
Original post by James2312
There is no discrepancy.Religion has been a source of homophobia for centuries.Even in non-religious people today it's still often left- over homophobia from our christian heritage.When you see a woman in a Burka, an extreme manifestation of Islam,shouting about gays and Adam and eve; you don't have to be Sherlock to see the link.

You are not getting the point, but it is fine.
she only said it because her face was covered, if her face wasn't covered she wouldn't have said a thing. that's why I call her a coward.

I neither approve or disapprove of this sort of behaviour.
ok so explain why she mentioned adam and eve? :smile:

you're being really defensive right now and yes some people are against homosexuals because they find the acts disgusting and because of stds or whatever.

so are you suggesting her religion had absolutely nothing to do with this?

Adam and Eve is a biblical reference to the creation story. So are you attacking her for Islam or Christianity?

I think so because people can be bigoted without it being linked to their religion.

The attacks on this thread is based on Islamophobia rather than supporting the LGBT people.
Original post by James2312
Seems an appropriate word here.She sees people doing something going against her beliefs and her reaction is to try to stop them doing that thing.Thats totalitarian.Facists are often extremely totalitarian.

It is a very overused word. While fascists are totalitarian, they only represent a specific political ideology and a small sect of totalitarianism. To refer to all totalitarians as fascists is completely redefining the word.
You are not getting the point, but it is fine.

the thing is we all understood and agreed with you when you explained that religion isn't always the cause because many non religious people are homophobic.

in THIS situation your failure to understand that this was due to her rebellious background is the issue. you have no idea how much religion affects an individual and how islamic teachings formulate many views for muslims. i'm not sure why you have trouble understanding this? she even spoke about adam and eve when she was abusing that poor man.
Original post by eutrophication1
she's probably on her menopause

Wow, you went from attacking her for homophobia to making a sexist comment. Women are really done in this age.
Adam and Eve is a biblical reference to the creation story. So are you attacking her for Islam or Christianity?

I think so because people can be bigoted without it being linked to their religion.

The attacks on this thread is based on Islamophobia rather than supporting the LGBT people.

its adam and hawa - the same damn thing in islam.
oh my god i'm actually done with you. wish you the best.
the thing is we all understood and agreed with you when you explained that religion isn't always the cause because many non religious people are homophobic.

in THIS situation your failure to understand that this was due to her rebellious background is the issue. you have no idea how much religion affects an individual and how islamic teachings formulate many views for muslims. i'm not sure why you have trouble understanding this? she even spoke about adam and eve when she was abusing that poor man.

I understand that your point, but I disagree that it is down to religion. My point is that she may be bigoted based on a wide range of reasons. Concluding that it is religion is too easy.
its adam and hawa - the same damn thing in islam.
oh my god i'm actually done with you. wish you the best.

All the best.

I hope you understood my points. If you didn't, this exchange was a waste of time. I understood your points, but I don't agree with them.
I agree with this.

Some people are quick to point the finger at Islam, while they hold similar homophobic views. It is horrible hypocrisy.
She should pipe down or get her benefits removed/reduced.

Islamophobia would seem to be a perfectly good phobia to have if you are homosexual tbh.Based on their track record.

Latest

Trending

Trending